Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gtb_Motor_Chart (resized).JPG
Sea Shore Startup Schematic Part 2 (resized).jpg
Sea Shore Startup Schematic Part 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Start-up sequence explained Posted by TimMe (3 years ago)

Post #4 Part 2 Posted by TimMe (3 years ago)

Post #6 Part 3 Posted by TimMe (3 years ago)

Post #10 Part 4 Posted by TimMe (3 years ago)

Post #12 Part 5 Posted by TimMe (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipsteen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Need help understanding the startup sequence on this 1964 Gottlieb Sea Shore pinball. Schematic is attached.
What happens after I push the red coin door replay button? (Helpful to know that game has been modified with a power switch and 115 Hold Relay coil has been eliminated connecting it to power switch. Credit switch is closed on free play. Slam switches are disabled.

Relays identified on this schematic:
SB - Start Relay on Control Bank
ZB - First Ball Relay on Control Bank
PB - 2nd player relay on Control Bank
H - 30 Volt Hold Relay
W- extra chute relay
E - Replay button relay
K - Coin Chute relay
D - Reset Relay
R - 115 Volt Hold Relay (permanently closed connected to power switch)

What happens after I push the red coin door replay button? Would love to know step by step startup sequence according to the schematic. Thank you!
Sea Shore Startup Schematic Part 1 (resized).jpgSea Shore Startup Schematic Part 1 (resized).jpgSea Shore Startup Schematic Part 2 (resized).jpgSea Shore Startup Schematic Part 2 (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

TimMe - Thanks for all of this. I have followed your posts on similar era machines and was hoping you would grab this. This is complex stuff and your level of detail has finally given me a better understanding of the operation of these components. I Look forward to the rest of it.

#8 3 years ago

I'm reading your explanation of score motor operation with my first cup of coffee and ding ding ding finally understanding this after having previously read a lot of other sources. Now to Game Start with my second cup.

#9 3 years ago

Tim - Just read Game Start with my second cup and I'm loving it as I'm sure anybody else who owns a Sea Shore or any pinball from that era. I have read tons of sources and I haven't found anything with this level of detail or clearer explanation for theory and operation. Of course it will take several readings for me to fully grasp and I'm sure I'll have questions but it's a fun day finally having this.

#13 3 years ago

TimMe So today I started using your explanations and theory of operation to look at the switches and components in Sea Shore following the wire colors from the score motor to various switches, lifting up the Control Bank and tripping relays, examining the SB armature switch and the reset bar. I mean I've cleaned and adjused these switches before but now I can truly appreciate their workings and how they connect with each other and the order of operation. So again I can't overstate the value of your thorough explanation.

I will read your final conclusion to the reset sequence and then try again to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with the startup sequence in my Sea Shore. Specifically, I have to push the replay button several times before the reset completes and I can start a game.

I push the replay button and the E and K relays pull in and the score motor turns... and then stops. I push again and same thing and usually by the 4th or 5th push the score reels reset and the control bank reset coil fires and game resets. Sometimes but not ofen it will just take one push of the button to complete the reset. If I want to add a second player, again it takes several pushes of the replay button to add a second player. I have cleaned and examined all the relevant score motor swtiches and relays that I could decipher from the schematic but will now go back with a much better understanding of which switches to look at, how they are connected and the order of operation. I feel with all the many switches involved I'm just one contact away from completion of the sequence.

#15 3 years ago

The SB relay trips but not reliably. It generally takes 3 or more pushes of the relay button to get the SB relay to trip and complete the reset. Using your guide, my first step will be to check the closed sw on the ZB relay, and motor switches 1A and 2C since the motor pulse of 1A trips the SB relay through a closed switch on the ZB.

#16 3 years ago

TimMe Thank you TimMe! Sea Shore Startup is fixed. Cleaned 2C sw on score motor and closed the gap for better contact. Thankfully did not have to mess with 1A (always a bear to get to the A level of the score motor.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipsteen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1964-gottlieb-sea-shore-startup-sequence-help?tu=Flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.