Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Need help getting my playboard to light up. My 1964 North Star playboard lights were working fine, now nothing. I checked the 10amp fuse, it looked good and made good solid contact with no corrosion. Just to check I put another 10amp fuse in and still no lights. The wires connecting the fuse holder are solid with no corrosion. Everything else works including the lights in the back box. If it's not the fuse then where else can I look?

Thanks,
Scott

#2 1 year ago

You said you checked the fuse but did you check the fuse holder ? Check and see if the fuse itself slides from top to bottom or side to side ( depending which way the fuse holder is positioned). If it is moving then it may not be making good contact with the fuse holder itself. Is is scoring properly or is playfield dead? Have you checked the tilt switches?

#3 1 year ago

When you say the playfield lights are not working, is it the controlled lights under the inserts (the "when lit" lights), or the general illumination lights under the plastics, or both?

#4 1 year ago

The 10 amp fuse fits good and is snug in it's holder, no corrosion and is making good contact. The wires of the fuse holder also look good. The playfield functions properly and I can play a game except there are no lights on the playfield. The lights in the head work fine.
Thanks,

#5 1 year ago

Have you tried checking the voltages with a meter either side of the fuse holder and actually checked the fuse itself? If you have continuity either side of the fuse holder then follow that through the machine with the help of a schematic if you have one. And have you checked the Jones plugs from the playfield to their female connections?

#6 1 year ago

I just checked my North Star just to make sure that there aren’t any switches on the score motor that might cause any issue and there doesn’t appear to be. Have you tried jumpering a wire from the head fuse to the playfield side of the playfield fuse holder with the playfield fuse removed. It should light the playfield. If it does then try from transformer side of the fuse holder ( with fuse out) and see if that works. If that does then your problem will be with the fuse holder or fuse. If nothing works then your next step is to try the wire at the jones plug. I think it is a mottled black/ white. Jumper to the pin on the jones plug. If still not working there has to be an open on the playfield on either the 6 volt side or the ground side

#7 1 year ago

Check the Jones plugs in head. Make sure clean and seated correctly.

#8 1 year ago

If your coin door lights are working, then your playboard lighting fuse is working. If yes, then I'd look at the Tilt Relay (TB) and ensure that the make-break switch with white-black and white-red wires is clean and closing. This is the switch that opens when you tilt to kill the playfield lights.

Jones plug would be a suspect too, but you seem to indicate that it was working and I'm assuming you hadn't messed with/unplugged/misplugged the jones plugs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 199.99
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Apparel - Unisex
Silverball Swag
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 11.95
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside