DSCN8610 (resized).JPG
DSCN8609 (resized).JPG
DSCN8608 (resized).JPG
DSCN8607 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
2017-10-01 17.56.41 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Morning Pinsiders!

Some pictures and an update- I'm really starting to take a shine to mid-60's Bally single player games and went on a road trip to Maryland on October 1st to drop off three machines along the way and pick this one up. I also wanted the machine to use as a pattern and color reference for when I repainted my Grand Tour.

After getting the machine home I was able to get a game going by spinning the scoring motor but did not pay much mind to it as I had other things going on.

It lights up, it does something, put it in the corner till I have more time.

Wednesday I pulled it out meaning to spend an hour or two going through the boards and it turned into an all day marathon before I figured everything that was going on... or not going on.

The machine is a mess.. It has the wrong year credit reel with all the wires cut so I pulled it out, bypassed what I had too and set it aside for now. After trouble shooting the coin up and replay button circuits (someone pulled out most of the wiring and coin switches and chopped up the wiring) I determined that the Start and Reset coils in the relay trip bank were both burned out/open which is why the pin would not start on its own and would be in a "reboot loop" once the motor was spun.

I do NOT look forward to digging both those coils out from under the reset bank.

After figuring all that out I started digging into the game and figuring out what worked and what did not.

The divers dropping are a carry over feature from game to game- Get to number ten and you get a free game. You choose which column (A or B) with your first shot. Drop in the A lane get column A, drop in a B lane get column B.

The sky divers drop by making the gate shot on the right or the bonus gate on the left. Very cool.

My plan for the moment is to get the game working, finish cleaning the plastics and playfield, add Mylar protection around the poppers, touch up the backglass and re-paint the coin doors and legs. From there I'll decided if I was to try touching up and clearing the playfield. Oh and I'm adding a second bell. The clapper and mech is there but Bally did not install a 3" bell! Crazy.

Gary

2017-10-01 17.56.47 (resized).jpg2017-10-01 17.56.47 (resized).jpg

DSCN8584 (resized).JPGDSCN8584 (resized).JPG

DSCN8586 (resized).JPGDSCN8586 (resized).JPG

DSCN8587 (resized).JPGDSCN8587 (resized).JPG

DSCN8585 (resized).JPGDSCN8585 (resized).JPG

2017-10-01 17.56.41 (resized).jpg2017-10-01 17.56.41 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

There was a really nice one of these at the last York show. I snoozed, and I lost!

Out of curiosity what was the asking price?

Oddly enough, Bally made a fair number of these (2250) but it was the first I have laid eyes on. The seller mentioned the one at the York show and said it was only the second he had seen.

Parts are on the way from PBR so next week we will find out if my troubleshooting is on the money or not.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

I had my sky divers at Allentown last year. Mine was nfs. Also interested in actual value. I would guess 500ish +/- depending on condition.

I paid $250 for this one, maybe a touch high for condition but not like the market is flooded with them either.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

How do you guys like that stealth (activated with rollover button) slingshot kicker on the mid left side?

Amusing when you hit it, usally with the ball coming down and shoots it across the table.

What lights up the feature light for the right side rollover to then open both gates?
What does this rollover switch score or activate (on left side)?

I'm not sure about the left side but when I was testing the right side if you went over the roll over once it would light the light and a second time would open the gates.

How often do you get that (star) skill shot, set up by hitting the rebound at the top?

Elastics were beat so can't answer the question, I know on Bazaar I could catch it regularly.

#11 6 years ago

I should have parts in Monday or Tuesday and post a gameplay video.

#12 6 years ago

Parts came in today and I was a busy bee

Both coils were well fried... and it sucked a bit to change them out.. all six fuse holders were replaced and the bell was installed which as you can see the clapper was already in place. The game sounds wonderful! Tossed in a few elastics to replace the worst offenders.

The lane rollover on the left side is only a ten pointer, doesn't do anything else.

Only noted issues (aside from being really dirty and what not) is I never noticed the 50 point lights coming on in the outlanes, have to investigate what turns them on and when pressing the credit/replay button the machine won't finish a score reel reset most of the time before the scoring motor stops. Have to investigate that too. Holding the button in will cause the reset to complete.

Video shortly.

DSCN8607 (resized).JPGDSCN8607 (resized).JPG

DSCN8608 (resized).JPGDSCN8608 (resized).JPG

DSCN8609 (resized).JPGDSCN8609 (resized).JPG

DSCN8610 (resized).JPGDSCN8610 (resized).JPG

DSCN8612 (resized).JPGDSCN8612 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Love the detailed descriptions and close up and focused photos. Great project to share - giving me the confidence to dive into my On Beam!
Brad

No problem Brad! They can be tough to repair sometimes but very rewarding when it all comes together.

Below is 7 minutes of gameplay video!

The 50 point outlane lights come on when all four A/B upper lanes have been hit during gameplay, another skill shot.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That game is coming together nicely. Good work! Sounds like the bells of St. Mary's.

Thanks! Up early so I was out in the shop poking at it.

1) Reset issue is fixed, contact was out of adjustment on the reset relay. Now the motor spins till all reels reset to zero.

2) Pulled the backglass and repaired all the sockets that were loose. Cleaned reels.

3) Cleaned the apron and getting ready to take some compound to the playfield.

Still minor random play issues.. Every once in a while on a reset one of the A or B column will light before skill shot.

#17 6 years ago

Ok now I'm done for the day!

Ended up pulling all the plastics and polish the.. tarnish off them, compounded the pf which brightened it up quite a notable amount and tinkered with the relay bank a bit.

The bank almost looks like it resets too quickly and will not reset one or two trip relays reliably due not not getting what looks like a full stroke. If one holds the replay button even a touch longer than usual it is very reliable resetting and played several games this morning. I think I'm going to have to put Grand Tour side by side with it and observe the timing and adjustment of bank reset.

Time to tuck it back in the line, other stuff to do the next few days.. What I have to do now is decide if I want to strip down the playfield, touch up and clear it. At the same time I have to repair the grounds on all pf lamps, horribly reliable about staying on/full brightness.

Gary

#18 6 years ago

Last picture for the day.

DSCN8622 (resized).JPGDSCN8622 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I like it. Thanks.

This might just turn out to be my new favorite game, wife likes it too.

I'm considering just cleaning the pf really well and lightly clear coating it as is with no touch up and playing the hell out of it.

#21 6 years ago

Had the day off today so after felling a tree that has been overhanging the house and cutting it up I headed out to the garage.

Looking at the Grad Tour' operation and the wiring diagram lead me to switch 4-C on the scoring motor which initiates a relay bank reset when the replay button is pressed. The contacts looked a wee bit far apart to me which in theory would reduce the "dwell time" in which the contacts were touching and how long the reset bank coil would be engaged. Tweaking the contacts yielded the solution and several games were played with no reset issues.

After that I flipped the playfield over and ground down every single socket ground, soldered them to their bases and replaced the bulbs. No more flickering lights now!

DSCN8624 (resized).JPGDSCN8624 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Looking good Gary! I think the approach of doing a good cleaning, light clear coat without touch-ups is the way to go on a game in this nice of condition. What a great game!
Brad

Playfield is not as nice as it looks, a number of spots where the paint is worn off/minor planking. I'm just looking to limit any further damage so we can play the heck out of it.

#24 6 years ago

After shipping out a bunch of stuff today I amused myself by sandblasting the rusty door, primer and painting it and polishing the loader and shooter hardware.

Touch up of the backglass is still proceeding but I'm 90% there with my skill set. I have one area I'm going to clean off and hit again as I'm not happy with the color match but a notable improvement from where I started from if you compare it to the first bg picture posted..

DSCN8626 (resized).JPGDSCN8626 (resized).JPG
DSCN8627 (resized).JPGDSCN8627 (resized).JPG
DSCN8628 (resized).JPGDSCN8628 (resized).JPG

DSCN8589 (resized).JPGDSCN8589 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Really nice work Gary. What paint and color did you use for the coin door? Do you plan to paint the legs too?
Brad

Pretty sure a hammertone grey from home depot, I'll double check in the morning.

Had no plans to paint the legs as they are in decent shape.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

I'm about to paint the coin door on the On Beam I am bringing back. And was wondering if there is a go to paint for the Bally doors. I picked up some Rustoleum 7250 "Black Midnight Metallic". The color on the cap looks pretty close to the color on the repro legs I got from Marco.
Brad

The original paint is a silver/gray hammertone, you can see it on the back of the pieces that have been protected being bolted down.

Chinese repo factories are not picky on finishes.

#30 6 years ago

Rust-o-lium Hammertone gray is the color, just checked.

#32 6 years ago

I have passed along to Inkochnito a photo of the manufacture's certificate so he can duplicate and make available on his website.

This will be awesome as the one on my Grand Tour was painted over.

DSCN8634B (resized).jpgDSCN8634B (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Germantown, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1964-bally-sky-divers-a-game-in-the-repair-queue?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.