• Latest reply 4 years ago by KevinD
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-4985 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 5.31.23 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider abcsindy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm hoping I can get some help with my 1963 Williams TomTom that won't reset/start a game. I have quite a bit of experience w/solid state machines but not so much with EMs. I've brought a Gottlieb Spirit of 76 EM and a Williams Space Odyssey EM back to life, but this TomTom startup issue has me looking for help. There's no manual and I have the schematic.

What happens:
-Credit/start button is pressed:
-Credit unit decrements as it should (I have it set for free play);
-Coin unit latches;
-Score motor rotates 1/4 turn and stops.

What doesn't happen:
-Game over relay doesn't energize
-Reset relay doesn't latch
-Score reels never attempt to reset

What's been done:
-Score reels disassembled, cleaned and new coil sleeves (zero position switches all work correctly)
-All stepper units disassembled, cleaned and reassembled w/new coil sleeves
-Checked relays for for correct switch operation
-Cleaned a lot of the switches that were corroded and rechecked their operation
-Checked resistance on all coils and none appear shorted
-Bypassed lock relay

I'm familiar with the Williams startup sequence, and have tried to follow back through on the schematic, and I'm hoping that I'm just missing something that I should be able to see - so maybe someone can help me trace down the issue(s). I started with the segment of the schematic below - thinking that section is likely the cause of at least the first part of my issues to get the machine to reset. I can post more segments of the schematic if needed or put a link to the IPDB page. I'm not sure about this machine in particular, but I've been testing the reset without the playfield installed - not that it matters to this point because whether it's attached or not the machine isn't resetting.

Appreciate any help.

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 5.31.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-22 at 5.31.23 PM (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

Thanks - Unfortunately this is the original file I downloaded from IPDB. I'm going to see if I can have it enhanced and printed or find another copy somewhere.

Thanks again

#5 4 years ago

This is the relay bank - in reset position. As noted, the machine never gets to the point where the bank tries to reset. I've reset manually and tried to start and get the same results as originally indicated.

Thanks for looking at this.

IMG-4985 (resized).JPGIMG-4985 (resized).JPG
#8 4 years ago

Thanks KevinD and dr_nybble - I'll check those relays tomorrow. I know they're not tripping, so I'll need to figure out why.

#10 4 years ago

Progress! Thanks to both of you for the suggestions - I manually tripped both the Game relay and Game Over relay and then hit the start button. It was able to complete the startup sequence - albeit without the playfield installed - and it reset the score reels.

Any idea what would cause those to both not be tripped? I'll start checking things tomorrow, but let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again for the tips.

#12 4 years ago

Good news - I added the playfield, adjusted a few stuck switches and everything seems to be working as far as basically playing a game. I still need to adjust a couple of items on scoring, etc - and the ball count appears to not be working (games never end). I rebuilt the ball count stepper weeks ago, but need to double check that everything is working right - I'll start looking at that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

#13 4 years ago

Good news - I added the playfield, adjusted a few stuck switches and everything seems to be working as far as basically playing a game. I still need to adjust a couple of items on scoring, etc - and the ball count appears to not be working (games never end). I rebuilt the ball count stepper weeks ago, but need to double check that everything is working right - I'll start looking at that tomorrow.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

KevinD Thanks for your previous help w/TomTom. I've run into some issues I'm trying to track down, but some of the relays in the bottom board don't have their identification labels any more and I want to make sure I'm tracing back thru the schematic properly. If your TomTom still has the labels and you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what the middle bottom relays are, starting with the latch relay near the jones connector and D-24 coil and moving toward the front. That would really help me out.

Thanks - and no worries if you can't get this or your labels are missing as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider abcsindy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-williams-tomtom-won-t-reset?tu=abcsindy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.