• 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8219F212-69A7-4A2F-87FD-FEAA0B2A380C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

There are only 18 listed Pinsiders that own this machine so I was wondering if anyone has played this machine and their opinions of it. I usually watch YouTube videos to get an idea of gameplay but there are none for this game.

I probably just want it because it’s so pretty, especially the backglass and it’s for sale a short drive from me. Going to try to make an offer less than the asking price.

Here’s a pic.

8219F212-69A7-4A2F-87FD-FEAA0B2A380C (resized).jpeg8219F212-69A7-4A2F-87FD-FEAA0B2A380C (resized).jpeg
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

There's quite a bit going on here for a 1963 game. I don't really care for those rollover lanes behind the flippers, but some skillful nudging helps. Skill is also required to avoid hitting the lit drop targets until you have the center score reel on the highest possible number. The drop targets don't automatically reset. You have to go through one of the three upper lanes to reset one of both targets. You don't want to waste knocking one down with a low center reel score, because at 10 times the reel value, the scores really adds up.
Before playing it, I didn't think it had much going for it. But there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Add to that, the great artwork and the fact that you can get an extra ball. I wouldn't hesitate.

Great info. Thanks for all the detail and I’m going to make an offer today and see how it goes. I’m more into 70s EMs but this one sure grabbed me and knowing there’s lots to do during gameplay makes it even more attractive.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

I should record a video sometime and put it on YouTube.
I love love love my machine. It’s beautiful in person.
It can have brutal drains because it’s a fast machine. Those flipper lanes aren’t a problem, though, you can always nudge out of them back onto the flipper. I can’t remember if I posted the full rule set in my review.
There are three upper lanes you can hit with the plunge to reset drop target(s) and award extra points when lit. So the plunge is fun.
There are two standing targets that light the green or yellow pops, and two rollover buttons to extinguish them. Lighting either pop, or advancing the center playfield reel to the ‘star’ position will light the center standup target for ‘same player shoots again.’ So that’s something to do every turn.
Shooting a bull earns 1X or 10X what is shown on the center playfield reel (10, 20, 30) and is probably the main attraction, as mentioned previously.
Its a two-player game, so all the objectives are designed to be reached on a single turn. We like playing it competitively in my household.

Thanks for weighing in and after reading both of your informative responses I’m hoping I can snag it. It definitely does have a visual appeal that I haven’t seen in awhile.

Machines always look better in pictures than in person but it seems somebody loved this one. My wife’s gonna kill me if I get it, ha ha.

Love to see a video if you post one.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Well, it can't be any worse than Bally's El Toro...

The Bally El Toro ranks right up there with the Family Truckster of EMs Bally Ro-Go. “You think you hate it now but wait until you play it”.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

Williams was putting out phenomenal titles in the 60's and El Toro is one of them! Kordek was a genius, and the artwork is stunning. Get it, you won't be sorry!

Thanks, that’s what I thought at first glance but I may have hesitated too long. Not sure if it sold or what but the owner took the ad on FB Marketplace down.

He had it listed for $1200 so I thought I had time but maybe not. Hopefully he’ll relist it.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

WMS El Toro was my first machine I bought many years ago. And I still have it... Lot's of shots with great artwork. Not an easy machine with the two outlanes next to the flippers. Find it more physically demanding to play, because of the 2" flippers and the position of the outlanes. Get it if you can. At $1200 it should be working properly and the cosmetics should be above average.

It looked to be in excellent cosmetic shape and I was going to offer $800 and see what happens but it’s no longer listed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-williams-el-toro-owners-opinions-?tu=Sea_Wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.