• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by V_piscopo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Greetings all,

I have a 1963 Bally Star Jet that has been in my family since 1976. I am in the process of trying to clean it up and restore it. This is of course the first service it has had in the past 40 yrs.

Mechanically it was working well until I replaced the pop bumpers. One of them was sticking and I realized it was a loose skirt spring so I fixed that, but now when I plug it in the scoring motor just keeps whirling. The scoring reels are set to zero, there are 3 balls in the machine, the fuses look fine (a 10 amp fuse had blown about a week ago, probably due to a poor solder job I did but I fixed the job and replaced the fuse and all looks well now) but the motor just whirls.

I have the schematics but I am a complete newbie when it comes to pin repair or electronics. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

alan

#2 7 years ago

Re check the pop bumper you fixed to make sure it's not stuck down and the contacts are open. Also check all the contacts on your playfield to make sure they are not closed when they should be open. This can make the score motor keep running.

#3 7 years ago

Looks like it's a goner. Better send the cabinet to me. Just kidding.

Be sure to check that there are no stuck switches on the playfield, particularly ones that would spin the motor to start. (Think: 10 points itself won't spin the motors, but 50 points would, etc., also switches that do other actions might, even if it is a 10 point switch too)

#4 7 years ago

See that's my problem. Im not sure what is supposed to be open, what is suppose to be closed.

As I said, complete noob here.

#5 7 years ago

Hi alan
great, You have a schema. It would be helpful if You would show a snippet of schema showing ALL Switches that let the Score-Motor run.

At what time does the Score-Motor "faulty starts and keep-on running" - AAA: You plug-in the Main-Power-Chord / BBB: You toggle-on the Main-Power-Switch / CCC: You press the left Flipper-Button / DDD: You start a game / EEE: You have started a game -> Reset is done -> NOW the Score-Motor starts running. (((You may not have a Main-Power-Switch)))

We are guessing "EEE" - AFTER RESET is done: wires to playfield switches are hooked-in -> a faulty-always-closed playfield-switch does activate a 1 point / 10 point / 100 point / 1000 point relay -> IF (if) the continuously-activated Points-Relay needs help from Score-Motor turning -> call for help -> endlessly turning of Score-Motor. So watch-out for a Relay "endlessly pulling".

You replaced a pop-bumper -> we are guessing: THERE is the faulty-closed-switch --- well, maybe. Look here: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_B_7894_Jet_Bumper_Assembly_D_C_Type_from_page_3_of_manual.pdf -> downwards is a long, thin stick -> In the machines -> the end of this long, thin stick is in a "Spoon" (not shown in the picture) - when the long, thin stick is moved (ball roll) -> Spoon is moved -> Switch mounted on Spoon does close. So look-out for that Spoon -> and check the "Switch mounted". Greetings Rolf

#6 7 years ago

It's prob the pop bumper switch if it was working before. Next time you do any work take before pics so you know how to reset (or ajust) things when your done. *A lesson we've all learned the hard way*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-bally-star-jet-scoring-motor-keeps-running and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.