Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

The latest problem for me is now the 1st player 1s score reel. All the other reels run fine except this one. When the game resets it turns fine until it approaches 0 position. It freezes after hitting 0, the plunger stays retracted inside the coil and just buzzes.

I can move the wheel manually but it is sticky and moves slow for all the numbers, not just between 0-1. I have taken it apart as best I can, cleaned the plunger and inside the coil with alcohol but it hasn't helped. All the switches seem to be correct when the reel buzzes (at least compared to the switches for the 1s reel on player 2...what's supposed to be open is open, closed is closed) so not sure what to do next.

Any advice?

#2 7 years ago

Even if I manually reset to 0 then start a game, the reel starts buzzing like it wants to advance the reel to 1 but the plunger is stuck. If I turn the game off, move the reel to 1, and restart it advances the reel back to 0 then sticks as it comes to the 0 position as if it wants to keep advancing.

Not sure if I am explaining this very clearly, sorry.

#3 7 years ago

Are the end-of-stroke switch on the reel and 0 position switch properly gapped and cleaned?

#4 7 years ago

Don't know what the proper gap is, but like I said it appears to be identical to the player 2 reel which is working properly.

And I did clean them a week or so ago when I was having the scoring motor issue with flexstone.

#5 7 years ago

Little bit more detail..

The reel resets to 0 fine, then pauses for a split second then seems to want to advance to 1. Gets halfway and sticks, plunger doesn't release from solenoid and just buzzes.

Any ideas what is wrong?

#6 7 years ago

A stuck contact on the playfield, scoring one point and staying in.
Try the reset with the jones plug of the playfield unplugged and put out of the way preventing a short.

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

So I unplugged the jones plugs for the playfield, and the score reel resets just fine. With the jones plugs re-inserted the score reel solenoid for the 1s sticks on both player 1 and 2, so the issue is originating from the playfield, not the score reels. Thanks for the suggestion wizardblom.

I have inspected the playfield and cannot see any stuck contacts. No solder bombs that are short-circuiting anything. No disconnected wires. So at a loss to figure out what is sending the 1 point signal to the score reel.

Any other suggestions on how to narrow down the problem?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Alan51:

1s sticks on both player 1 and 2, so the issue is originating from the playfield

There could be a problem with the relay for '1 Point', check it closely, solder splash, or wires touching on the back of the relay.

Or a 1 point switch on the playfield. From what I can see, the pop bumpers score 1 point when un-lit. The kickers next to the flippers also score 1 point when un-lit. Some times when new rubber rings are installed the contact switches will be to close to the rubber ring. This will also cause a switch error.

#9 7 years ago

so after searching and re-searching I found a small ball of solder wedged between 2 leaf switches causing the short. No idea how it got there but after I removed it everything is working normally now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-bally-star-jet-score-reel-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.