Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SteveinTexas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

62 World Series Cabinet Paint 2.JPG
62 World Series Cabinet Paint.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I am planning to repaint this games cabinet and head. So how did they originally add the 'splatter' for use of a better word. And the follow up is how do I replicate?

Please correct me on the correct term if it is not splatter, flecking or webbing.

62 World Series Cabinet Paint.JPG
62 World Series Cabinet Paint 2.JPG

Post edited by SteveinTexas: Revised Title

#2 5 years ago

Anyone point me on how to replicate this splatter technique?

#3 5 years ago

I think it was from the guy inhaling paint fumes and coughing all over the cabinet as he painted it.

Or, try searching google for "gottlieb paint webbing".

#4 5 years ago

Gottlieb paint webbing is a bit different. This is "flecked" not webbed. Anyway I swore there was another post somewhere on Pinside trying to achieve the same results. Finding it may be tricky but I thought there were some good suggestions posted.

#5 5 years ago

Alex,

I searched here a few different times before posting, but without a picture posted its hard to know if this finish was being discussed. It looks to have been originally a spray gun technique possibly like webbing.

I am showing the paint under the side rails in the pic's so it should be the original.

#6 5 years ago

I know, I searched too. I always have a hard time finding old posts.

#7 5 years ago

you need to find a model #19 or model #7 Binks spray gun with a # 32 pin .the cob webbing was done with tinted lacquer as was the spatter lower the air pressure coming from the compressor and adjust the pin . if you find an old hot rod painter he will show you how to do this in a few min. They let the lacquer thicken up to do this the lacquer we use now is real thin

#8 5 years ago

Instead of me 'babbling', look here: http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#repaint. Thanks once again Clay for that and all who contributed.

I've webbed and splattered using various techniques. Try them and see what works best for you. I had the best results w/splatter using a small wire brush. W/webbing I have used 'can-o-webbing'(much thicker)but 1st alternative till I learned how to use automotive spray gun)and automotive paint sprayer w/lacquer which is the cats meow in my opinion to re-create webbing.

Clay shows webbing and splatter re-creation w/brush. There is a brush on Dick Blicks website used for that effect.

I would strongly suggest practicing first w/whatever method you choose before you actually apply to cabinet, and even then not guaranteed to be as exact as you had practiced but you'll have a good idea on the outcome. Have fun and good luck!

#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the input guys.

This is a Williams game not Gottlieb but to my eyes it is probably similar to Clay's splatter example, definitely not a webbing.

I have completed an early 50's Williams and a Bally 60's repaint, I was been able to replicate the dot type splatter with a trimmed small brush and just flicked the paint on.

I think Cash you are spot on, just practice as before using Clay's technique for splatter until I get it to work out.

#10 5 years ago

The part of the cabinet shown in the photo looks to be in really good condition. Why the desire for a full re-paint?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from emguy:

The part of the cabinet shown in the photo looks to be in really good condition. Why the desire for a full re-paint?

Its a fair question. Overall the cabinet is not in good condition. It needed some new wood panels and still needs plenty of cabinet repair. I took pictures of the best painted parts that show the original paint.

It is part of a larger restore project that was a topic 2 months ago here on pinside. Here is the link that shows some of the cabinet as is. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1962-world-series-pinball-restore-story

I enjoy the painting part except cutting out stencils as well as the mechanical restore. Its for my permanent collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
€ 279.00
$ 315.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
liorillusion
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 32.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 26.95
$ 49.00
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside