IMG_9847 (resized).jpg
IMG_9844 (resized).jpg
scan copy 11 (resized).jpg
IMG_9665 (resized).jpg
IMG_9667 (resized).jpg
IMG_9666 (resized).jpg
Pitch Unit Spring (resized).jpg
scan copy 9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

Door seems to have minimum dents. Will clean up perfect. Did I send you a door logo if not pm me.

The coin plates are there, abet now orange. Might be ok underneath.

Wrong front molding but no biggy.

Should come out good.

The door paint color answer to your question is in the picture. Same as the hinge, silver/grey hammer finish.

#4 3 years ago

Green trim same as the cabinet if a faithful restore.

Moulding appears to be in very good condition.

I will follow with interest, it’s a very good game.

Will come out nice.

The coin plates might be flipped before painting you never know.

3 weeks later
#10 3 years ago

looks great. Can't wait to see the rest.

#12 3 years ago

That rubber is available from Marco Specialties. They have a few slugfest parts for the bat mech. Put in slugfest baseball on their search engine and you will see what they have.

1 week later
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I recently received the Eastwood plating kit, and I'm not too thrilled with the results. If any parts have pitting, this will not cover or fill in those areas. After hand polishing with the polish that is included, a light buff with a dremel wire wheel will improve the shine a bit.
When dipping the item you want to plate in the bath, you sometimes have to keep rotating it away from the anode because heavy build up with occur nearest the anode.
This system is affordable over having everything professionally plated, but the results aren't going to be pristine like new.

Yes, fair comment. I learned it’s all about the prep.

#37 3 years ago

Wow, that’s a big improvement. Nice work.

#38 3 years ago

Did you purchase a replacement return spring from Marco?

#42 3 years ago

This is a great thread for restorers to reference when fixing up these great games. Hopefully by cross referencing other related but hard to find topics we can together help fellow restorers find parts.

Regarding parts for Williams bat assemblies from 1957 thru the Slug-fest game there are parts and information in this tutorial from a few years back directly related to this subject. Unfortunately the search feature does not not always pick these up. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-your-1957-c-5161-batter-unit-assembly-with-a-slugfest-bat#post-3888923 thread #8. Bat Assembly (resized).jpgBat Assembly (resized).jpg

Quoted from Playdium:

That spring is part # 10A-101-1A, the same used on the stepper units for this machine. It is included in PBR's spring kit for Williams 50 step units. I ordered several. The bat plunger could only be found in Canada. Still waiting on that.

The Slugfest spring listed as a # 10-431 is also the correct spring.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Could you please post in Canada where you got the bat plunger. You may have already sorry? Also where did you get the rubber mount mine is like your old one. I have a 69’ Williams gridiron pitch and bat that I am continuing to work on. Thanks.

The bat plunger changed diameter with the coil size. The earlier plungers in the 57/58 models was larger than the plungers thru 1963(Major League ) by a tad and the Slugfest is a much smaller diameter. Note the earlier plunger from 57 /58 can be sand papered down in a drill press to work in a few seconds with the more powerful coil used in the next few years.

Be careful that you do know if you have a 'swapped' part in your game (we all mostly do) when searching for replacement parts.

The tables in the linked topic can help with identifying parts from different games that might work in your game. Note some game labels have the game # which tells you where the part originated. Apologizes if I have linked before. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-baseball-game-motor-coils-and-bat-assembly-information#post-5234306.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

With regards to the bat plunger, it might be helpful if you confirm the coil number. The plunger that I mentioned, #2A-2587 fits coil number H23-870 with a brass sleeve.

I have not had the time to add that. I had not realized that there could be an issue until I added the larger coil used In games mean’t for the plastic bat not a metal bat in a 58 Short Stop. The early plunger would stick in the brass sleeve. However, I was able to sand it a tad down and it fits well now. Williams were always tinkering with the games you can see this in the schematics year by year. It was a dynamic time in their R&d dept for sure getting the best out of these games.

I know I am tinkering with the originality but this is reversible and the less powerful coil is stowed in the back of the game. I am not sure how the games worked when the mech’s were not worn. There was a nylon washer at the interface of the cam and the pitching assembly that was there to reduce friction on the Short Stop So that said I was trying to get more power and zip to this game which I achieved to a point. In this game I seem to be unable to get another 1/2 turn to the pitching cam spring to fire that ball really fast like my other games.

Referencing Williams R&D tinkering, one of my games cam lever has 2 spring stop screw holes that permits another 1/2 turn or more than The other games. The speed from the fast ball is so fast it can be unhittable. I had to readjust to take some power off.

I will review the Williams parts books and see how much I can add to the tables.

1 week later
#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

When I reassembled my pitch unit, I placed the spring in the first notch creating the most tension. But while bench testing it electrically, I noticed that thing really whips around. Maybe I'll move it to the middle notch.

Don’t move the spring tension position until you try it in the game. Power is lost as it is fighting gravity and pressure from the flap and springs material. Speed makes the game more fun!

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

OK, will do.
Just finished assembly of the pitch mechanism with rebuilt motor. Not sure how the brake pad will work on the fast pitch solenoid. I replaced the spade connector as I found it. Did this assembly have low voltage running through it like a Ball Count Unit?[quoted image][quoted image]

The solenoid pulls in and you have a fast ball. The spade connector is for a spring to return rn the plunger. You need a spring.

Early games like the Shortstop had no spring not sure why they added it to later games other than it was needed to improve the efficiency of the assembly.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Selecting Montana Gold Paint for the machine, and looking at the reds, nothing looks close. The red on the machine appears to be red-orange. ???

Montana gold where ?

The red on the playfield Wood is a red as you describe. I probably had it mixed special.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Another spring ? LOL
Is this where it would attach?[quoted image]

Yes. It is a light tension spring.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I found a replacement upper arch rubber seal from Austin Hardware & Supply. It fits the same as the original, although it is not a flat top but rounded top. Looks fine and measures the same.
https://www.austinhardware.com/rubber-edge-trim-for-1-16-mtl.html
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice find. That rubber part was used on a few games an example the 58 Short Stop and eventually goes hard and brittle.

4 months later
#80 3 years ago

The bat has a rheostat that adjusts the power of the bat. Some I have found will only work at max power and bat does not move at other settings.

#82 3 years ago

I have a few rheostats that are larger in size than the original. You can have one if you want. This is a 110 V circuit.

1 month later
#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I am also curious about the pin settings on the Run Step Up unit. The single pin at the left is a Green/Red that runs back to the "Hi Score Impulse Relay". The top plugs have a 3 pin jumper. How and what do these plugs do to affect game play?
[quoted image]

I believe the top line is for awarding replays. The left side line is for setting the bar when setting the high score. My memory may be faulty as I never beat the high score or get too many replays as the ball is pitched a little to fast and the curve ball is unhittable.

#96 3 years ago

Duplicate

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Thanks for that. Is searched all over the schematic for theses settings and came up blank.
While playing the game briefly I did manage a "Super Home Run" with bases loaded thus lighting the flashing "Grand Slam" lights. It was a successful feeling to see the game operate as it was intended.

Super Home Run! You join a small group.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1962-williams-world-series-resto-begins?tu=steveintexas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.