(Topic ID: 169941)

1962 Williams King Pin BB Relays - Wiring - Solved!

By EM-PINMAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161215_152535_resized (resized).jpg
20161215_191853_resized (resized).jpg
20161215_211312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6832 (resized).JPG
IMG_6833 (resized).JPG
Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-Ben-Stein (resized).jpg
DSC00466 (resized).JPG
DSC00040 (resized).JPG
DSC00037 (resized).JPG
DSC00034 (resized).JPG
DSC00030 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Need some help from a Williams King Pin Owner.

My Bottom Motor Board Relays have washed out Labels and I do not know what the name of the relays are. I have included some generic numbers on my photos for reference so that it is easy for you to explain each one and for me to understand it as well so I can generate some new labels.

TIA,

Ken

DSC00030 (resized).JPGDSC00030 (resized).JPG
DSC00034 (resized).JPGDSC00034 (resized).JPG
DSC00037 (resized).JPGDSC00037 (resized).JPG
DSC00040 (resized).JPGDSC00040 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Bump.

#3 7 years ago

Sunday Bump.

#4 7 years ago

Hi EM-PINMAN
I guess many pinsiders would like to help - but when I / we do not have the pin ...
Your pictures show the bottom-board taken-out of the pin - If it would be in the pin I then would advise: Manually actuate the relay and look what reaction the pin shows --- then looking up in the (ipdb) schematics what switches / relays are involved.

We can use the ipdb-schematics - left of "No-1-Relay" there is the "Knock-Off-Switch" mounted on the board - wire-orange-grey. According to the schematics this wire runs to "Coil on Lock-Relay". Follow this wire-orange-gray - does the wire ends at "No-1-Relay" ? IF (if) Yes: "No-1-Relay IS the Lock-Relay.

The "No-8-Relay" has a thing attached - "Lectrohm 500" --- in the schematics I see "Change-Relay" has an 500 OHM resistor mounted - "No-8-Relay" is the "Change-Relay".

To the right of the "No-8-Relay" You show the "25 Cent Relay" - the schematics tells me: "IT IS OPERATED by 110 VAC, coil has soldered-on WIRE-a-90-color-GREY.
I believe to see Wire-color-GREY also at the "Coil on No-5-Relay" - the wrapping paper says "Z-3?-4200" - the "110VAC driven COIN-Relay" is marked as "Z-35-4200", its other wire (schematics) has wire-color-B-31-2-Yellow-Red - this does NOT match with (JPG, picture) wire-blueish. The schematics tells me: wire-Yellow-Red leads to "Self-Hold-Switch on the COIN-Relay" - my question: when You follow the "wire-blueish" - do You come to "Switch-mounted on COIN-Relay" and THERE at the same solder-lug is "wire-Yellow-Red" and it connects to "Switch on Lock-Relay".

"No-7-Relay" has a wrapping paper "Z-27-1000" - a wire runs from the Coil to "Self-Hold-Switch mounted on the relay" - wire-color-somewhat dark - question: Is on that solder-lug another wire-color-??? soldered-on ? what color ?
There are only a few relays in the schematics marked as "Z-27-1000" - we may find the relay in the schematic - looking at wires-colors of wires osed on the switches of this relay.

So I guess: "No-1-Relay" is Lock-Relay, "No-8-Relay" is "Change-Relay" "No-5-Relay is Coin-Relay", greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for looking into this Rolf and figuring out some of it.

I realize that having the game operational would make it pretty easy for me to find out what relay does what but I wanted to get a jump on things as I cannot test it because it is currently in pieces being fully restored with the cabinet and head being repaired and painted by Pinhead52. This game should be top notch when I am done as I am going to get some items plated, polished, playfield cleared, and have a new Translite as well.

Anyone else knows what the other relays do I am all ears....and eyes.

#6 7 years ago

Man, Rolf got all that just from lookin at the schematic. The man scares me...LOL, just kidding, glad to have you here Rolf.
Rock on dude!

2 months later
#7 7 years ago

Still could use a pic of the relay labels but also need a pic of the ground wiring in the Backbox under the big 5" bell. someone did some hacking of 3 sockets and mangled the wiring and it is shorting, so need to rewire it.

TIA,

Ken

DSC00466 (resized).JPGDSC00466 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

bump

#9 7 years ago

Bueller? Bueller?

Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-Ben-Stein (resized).jpgFerris-Buellers-Day-Off-Ben-Stein (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

I am going to start tearing mine apart later tonight or tomorrow, I can provide whatever info you need if I have it. Game was working almost 100% when I brought it in, just haven't been playing it bc its filthy and needs rubbers and such. I was just trolling the boards to see what recent info/owners i could find. I am in need of some replacement plastics, I can produce a set if someone can provide decent scans.

#11 7 years ago

I just saw this post. I have a working King Pin. I will check and send what I can.
Harry Irvin
Macungie, PA

#12 7 years ago

Forgive me for not sending pics. Although my labels are pretty good, my photography is not:

Your 1,2,3,4, from left to right -Lock relay, Intermediate relay, Rollover relay, Rerack relay

Your 5,6,7,8 from left to right - Coin relay, reset relay, shooter relay, change relay

Unfortunately, at this time it will take some work to get my large bell off. Previous owner may have super glued two nuts together, and I need time to try to loosen them up. If you have no luck, pm me and I will see what I can do. Hope this is helpful.
Harry Irvin

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pinrayhji:

Your 1,2,3,4, from left to right -Lock relay, Intermediate relay, Rollover relay, Rerack relay
Your 5,6,7,8 from left to right - Coin relay, reset relay, shooter relay, change relay

Thanks a lot for this info Harry.

Quoted from pinrayhji:

Unfortunately, at this time it will take some work to get my large bell off. Previous owner may have super glued two nuts together, and I need time to try to loosen them up

I had the original 2 nuts too but luckily they came right off and I then replaced the 2 nuts with 1 nylon nut for convenience. Try heating up the nuts with a soldering gun as glue does not like high heat all at once. Once you get it off I would appreciate a pic of that area below.

Thanks again,

Ken

#14 7 years ago

Seriously getting those 2 nuts off was a b@$?h. Two square nuts on mine. I used pb nut buster and a linemans pliers and squeezed them til they popped loose. The linemans was the trick, was able to squeeze until they lined up. Glad harry helped with the relays, saves me alot of typing, and photos are tough with where they are located.

IMG_6833 (resized).JPGIMG_6833 (resized).JPG

IMG_6832 (resized).JPGIMG_6832 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

If u need anything else don't hesitate to pm me, game being torn down for restore. Well, what I consider a restore.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

Seriously getting those 2 nuts off was a b@$?h. Two square nuts on mine. I used pb nut buster and a linemans pliers and squeezed them til they popped loose. The linemans was the trick, was able to squeeze until they lined up. Glad harry helped with the relays, saves me alot of typing, and photos are tough with where they are located.

Quoted from PhilC:

If u need anything else don't hesitate to pm me, game being torn down for restore. Well, what I consider a restore.

Man this is super great Harry. The pics tell the whole story and yes it was wired wrong on mine. I'll get on it tomorrow and get the wiring mess straightened out no problem with a big thanks to you. I should be set to go now on the Q&A for this game. Looking forward on Tuesday or Wednesday to pick the newly repaired and painted cabinet from Pinhead52 which already looks awesome from the pics.

Sorry it was so hard to get the bell off, but at least now you can give it a good cleaning and polish.

#17 7 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone else who pitched in to help as well. Mission accomplished.

#18 7 years ago

And his cab is almost ready...

20161215_211312_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161215_211312_resized_1 (resized).jpg

20161215_191853_resized (resized).jpg20161215_191853_resized (resized).jpg

20161215_152535_resized (resized).jpg20161215_152535_resized (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1962-williams-king-pin-bb-relays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.