Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by RonSS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0723191625 (resized).jpg
Gottlieb Shooter (resized).jpg
0720191101b (resized).jpg
0720191101a (resized).jpg
0720191101 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

I'm trying to spruce up my A-Go-Go and noticed the shooter tip isn't actually a tip. Is this how they were made?

If so, is there a rubber tip I should be looking for?

Thanks.

0720191101 (resized).jpg0720191101a (resized).jpg0720191101b (resized).jpg
#2 10 months ago

That's what happens to them when you use them without a rubber tip. You can grind off the mushrooming or buy a new one if it is worn down too far.

#3 10 months ago

You may have to grind/file it down just to get it out.

#4 10 months ago

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out soon. Hopefully I can get it out without any grinding.

#5 10 months ago

Your shooter spring does not look original either. I'd get one of those also. (A-348)

And you will need a c-clip to hold the shooter spring in position. (5133-37) but you can get this at the hardware store.

May as well get a new barrel spring (A-347) while you are at it.

And I always put an eyelet(17596) on mine these days. I believe it is brass or bronze and is more durable for the sliding action between the spring and plunger shaft.

And the plunger is there also in case you decide to just replace it. All of the above will have your shooter running like a champ. Keep in mind the diagram below is for a Gottlieb shooter but the parts I referenced will work correctly for your game.

Gottlieb Shooter (resized).jpg
#6 10 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Your shooter spring does not look original either. I'd get one of those also. (A-348)
And you will need a c-clip to hold the shooter spring in position. (5133-37) but you can get this at the hardware store.
May as well get a new barrel spring (A-347) while you are at it.
And I always put an eyelet(17596) on mine these days. I believe it is brass or bronze and is more durable for the sliding action between the spring and plunger shaft.
And the plunger is there also in case you decide to just replace it. All of the above will have your shooter running like a champ. Keep in mind the diagram below is for a Gottlieb shooter but the parts I referenced will work correctly for your game.[quoted image]

Who said you could spend my money!!!

Much appreciated. I'm working out some pop light issues at the moment. Figure I'll just start making a list of parts and order all at once.

Thanks!

#7 10 months ago

Often once you grind away the mushroom edges from a damaged shooter rod, you find the rod is just a little too short now, and the tip won't extend far enough when plunged to properly hit the ball. I've seen alotta games at shows like this...no matter how hard you plunge the ball you just can't get it as hard as feel like you want it...very frustrating.

If you can find a new plunger rod, or have one on hand, great! But if not, I've found you can stick a small chunk of a wooden dowel(or really anything that fits snug), inside the shooter tip to take up the slack...works great if it hasn't been pounded down too short...keep it in mind... :0)

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Who said you could spend my money!!!

Stand too close to me and you will be poor quickly. But your game will play well.

Like Stoomer said, usually you can grind the flares away and clean up the tip and be good to go with the original plunger. You have to grind/file away the flares anyway just to remove it from the shooter housing. I've never had one so mushroomed that it was too short to go back in the game.

The deciding factor for me to keep or replace, assuming it is still long enough, is if the plating is worn away on the shaft. If it is still intact I chuck it in a cordless drill and polish the heck out of it with Mothers Mag Polish and it is good to go. Even with the best cleanest outcome I apply a drop or two of Tri Flow teflon lube on the plunger shaft. That will give you fast clean action.

#9 10 months ago

That one will definitely need to be grinded just to get it out of the bushing. I've seen worse ones, and if you only grind off the actual mushroomed parts at a bevel, it should still be long enough to be useable. Take the whole assembly off in one piece and bring it to the bench grinder. Hold it at like a 30 degree angle against the wheel. Slowly rotate it as you go, and cool the tip frequently in a water bath.

#10 10 months ago

Well, placed a blanket in the cab and cut/ground the mushroom off.

Had a tip lying around. Works like a charm!

Good enough unless I do a large scale job, which probably won't happen.

Game is fun as is, and I don't need beauty queens.

0723191625 (resized).jpg
#11 10 months ago

Good job.

In the past I've slightly bent the metal U-shaped fingers of the shooter gage back towards a too-short plunger. That enabled the ball to sit closer to the tip.

#12 10 months ago

I had just finished giving her a light cleaning and wax job. Noticed the spring was past the clip too. Between the wax, spring, and mushroom/rubber tip it really launches now. Smoothly as well.

Ok, on to my other projects, . .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 208.87
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 89.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 110.00
Boards
AMCO
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside