(Topic ID: 233736)

1960 Gottlien Spot-A-Card. Replaced lamp sockets. Now wont work.

By wrd1972_PinDoc

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Okay I am doing fairly in-depth restoration on a 1960 Gottlieb Spot-a-card. In short, the machine was fully functional before I removed the head, and replaced about 20 lamp sockets, in the head. I have checked and re-cleaned the Jones plungs. Pretty confident it is connected properly.

I did all of the soldering with the head face-down. So I dont think I had any solder drips, shorting things out. I have gone back and looked at all of the sockets I installed. Dont see any issues.

What does work:
-Main motor
-When pushing the start button, the motor, and the gate solenoid in the trough works correctly.
-Manually activating 1 of the 4 switches on the 4 saucers, causes them to properly kick.
-All lighting seems to work.
-I can manually activate any of the circuits, to light specific bulbs on the PF, or in the head.
-I can manually activate the scoring wheels, by activating their respective relays.

What doe NOT work after starting game
-No flippers
-No response when activating any PF switches (that ball would contact). Includes bumpers, slings etc.

It really feels like that the majority of the solenoids, are not getting power. Like they are not being allowed to be powered, due to some circuit. Again even the flippers do not work. So that seems like a good place to start. I do have a schematic. But not much experience going this deep.

So I want t pose a couple question.
What is the circuit or switch, that allows or cuts power to the flippers?

Thanks
for all help.
-

#2 5 years ago

Sometimes it is as simple as manually pushing in the hold relay.

That has worked for me in the past.

Game comes to life.

#3 5 years ago

I have manually tripped all of the relays. Only a few, give a response.

If I can just get some tips on what circuit allows the flippers receive power, once the start button is pushed. That would be a great start.

#4 5 years ago

Reply sent in private message

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

What is the circuit or switch, that allows or cuts power to the flippers?

It's a fuse; did you check them? Doing work in the backbox should not have any effect on playfield stuff.

#6 5 years ago

Okay so the issue is resolved. And there were two issues. The first being "freak coincidence"! So I merely removed the head from the completely functional machine, replaced some light sockets, then reinstalled it. I powered the machine up, and many triggers and solenoids were not working. And I never touched the playfield at all!.

So for some crazy reason. The 25VAC line to the switches associated with the reset relay, became disconnected. It just flat out makes zero sense, that this would have occurred simply by removing and reattaching the head. Even if the wiring harness were inadvertently tugged, it still could not have caused that wire disconnection. Chalking it up to "freak coincidence" or Murphy's Law...take your pick!

So by going over the schematic, I found myself being drawn to the switches,at the reset relay (D). Then I saw the disconnection. Bingo...Smoking Gun! So I did my best to determine which tab the wires were soldered to, and I re-soldered them to the switch. Funny thing was, I saw what appeared to be two vacant switch tabs. And I soldered them to the wrong tab. So the tab I soldered the 25VAC, already had a smaller wire connected, but it was very difficult to see it, due to the mess of wires in the way. So now, the triggers and solenoids were partially working. But the pin was still jacked up. Had I had the playfield fully upright and against the head, I likely would have seen the tiny wire, and soldered the 25VAC line, to correct tab.

So with the invaluable assistance from HowardR, we spent a good hour and a half troubleshooting things, very systematically. And the trail lead us right back to those reset switches, where I found the disconnected wires mentioned above. So after soldering the wires to the correct tab, the machine woke up was playing perfectly. Hooray!

I want to close with again mentioning, how valuable the assistance was, from HowardR. I was absolutely floored, that someone would be willing to spend that much time on the phone with me, troubleshooting this machine. He also did it in very un-intemidating manner, which was a very big plus. Even though I have significant experience working on Pins, and most other non-related things, it was easy to follow his directions and suggestions. I also believe that if Howard was working with someone with very limited technical experience. That person would likely be able to easily follow his direction, and successful get their machine going. I am also going to confidently assume, that Howard has helped many others around here, to get the machines fixed. Many thanks again Howard! Your a true asset to this community.

I also want to thank the others, who chimed in on this thread.

B

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1960-gottlien-spot-a-card-replaced-lamp-sockets-now-wont-work?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.