Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

935087d4b50e7f93162fab63b437232440e37f97 (resized).jpg
IMG_4533 (resized).JPG
IMG_4532 (resized).JPG
20170211_180140_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_4524 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Working on this WMS Rocket. The 10,000 point stepper looks like it should have a bell attached to it. Should it? A photo of the back of the head would be helpful. Wasn't a shot like that on IPDB. If it is missing the bell, then it looks to be missing the striker as well.
thx
izzy

IMG_4524 (resized).JPGIMG_4524 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

It does not have a bell, oddly. What I did on mine was disconnect the wire from the Fire relay to the Large Bell and run one from the 10K relay to it. Sounds a helluva lot better, though I did put a piece of tape on that bell to dampen it because it's so loud. The small bell already goes off when you get a rocket, so I don't understand the thought behind the original set up. I did see a pic of a Rocket with an added bell for 10K, but I think it's unnecessary.

Funny thing: I didn't disconnect the wire from the Fire relay initially and got a rocket for every 10K hit.

PS-schematic confirms no 10K bell

#3 5 years ago

Thx. that is helpful.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

PS-schematic confirms no 10K bell

I don't think the electrical schematic would show a mechanically operated bell, since it doesn't have a dedicated coil.

#5 5 years ago

I had a Rocket,there is a bell,and the step up unit is its knocker,no extra wiring or coil is needed. I no longer have the game,but do have a pic of this. Hope this helps....

Alex

20170211_180140_resized (resized).jpg20170211_180140_resized (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Actually my game does have a bell as well. In the photo above what is missing is the metal ring that attaches loosely to the end of the clapper.

It is the standard Williams set up that was used in the early 60s on sideways mounted match units. As opposed to the later style where the match unit was mounted perpendicular to the rear door.

#7 5 years ago

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. It had a wear spot that looked like it should have a bell. Also looking for photos of the relay bank and bottom board relays. Mine no longer has the bars with the coil identification labels.

IMG_4532 (resized).JPGIMG_4532 (resized).JPGIMG_4533 (resized).JPGIMG_4533 (resized).JPG
#8 5 years ago

I'm not sure mine has the labels or not, but I'll check when I get a chance.

Interesting this topic came up as I had to service that very bell a few days ago as it was out of adjustment.

It is not the first time Williams attached a bell to a stepper as I had a much older, different style on my Pinky, however it seems very unique to late 50s even real early 60s that mostly used remote bells until about 1962 I think.

#9 5 years ago

I've come across this setup before, I guess that's why I noticed it. Looks like they replaced the arm and it doesn't have the part that hits the bell. I'll dig into my stash of EM parts and look for one. PBR might even have one.
Thanks for taking the time to look at your game for me.
Izzy

#10 5 years ago

John’s Jukes had one a while back. I got one cheaper on eBay. Don’t believe PBR had it.

#11 5 years ago

thx

#12 5 years ago

Well hell, I see that I'm mistaken. Mine has the arm and a spot where a bell was. Dunno how I missed that. Maybe it was all the mouse nests in the cabinet that distracted me. Any rate, I will get you pix of the bank and cabinet relays as soon as I can.

#13 5 years ago

Pix didn't work well, but here in order from the front: Bank (skipping dashes): 567, 456, 345, 234, 123, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, No. Match Cont., 5th Ball, Game Over, No. Match, Game, Tilt. Cabinet: Lock, Set Up, Scan, Eject, Count Down, Roll Over, Hole, Control, RO Buttons (Trip and Latch).

#14 5 years ago

That's extremely helpful. I really appreciate it.
Izzy

1 week later
#15 5 years ago

I saw your post in the parts seeking thread. That arm with the washer attached is kind of hard to come by these days.

Sometimes it takes buying an entire used match unit or stepper with the bell attached to acquire one. Still not easy to find compared to the newer style from about 1965 on.

On one of my games, someone just used a screw and a few nuts to attach a washer loosely to the end of the arm where it was missing and it works fine. I think it is by having that washer mounted loosely that gives it the unique sound.
935087d4b50e7f93162fab63b437232440e37f97 (resized).jpg935087d4b50e7f93162fab63b437232440e37f97 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

That's what i ended up doing. I had the arm already and attached a washer that is loosely attached.
Thx

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1959-williams-rocket-photo-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.