DSC04186 (resized).JPG
DSC04184 (resized).JPG
DSC04183 (resized).JPG
DSC04182 (resized).JPG
DSC04181 (resized).JPG
DSC04180 (resized).JPG
Gottlieb Universe 1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Enclosing some pix and a video of a fun 5 ball game. I’m partial to the ‘50s woodrails, especially the Neyens/Parker games.

I enjoy the futuristic space age artwork on the space themed games of the 50’s (and early 60’s, like Star Jet) that imagine rockets and astronauts in space. Universe was produced in 1959 ten years before Neil Armstrong actually walked on the moon.

I found a nice example with a very good playfield and original score card, repro glass, repro animation wheel and plastics. Cabinet is solid and shows expected wear over the years, but doesn’t beg for a repaint. Previous owner had put in LED lights, which is something that I typically don’t prefer. Since I am more of a “purist,” I will likely swap out for the 44 incandescents, but for now, I have to admit that it does look nice when the basement lights are dimmed.

Game is challenging and plays well. Backbox animation has two rockets that circle the earth. Each time a space ship touches the moon a “trip” is scored. Replays are awarded once 8, 10, 11 and 14 trips are made.

As with other woodrails, replays can also be achieved with points and on field specials. Additionally, there is a match feature.

Gottlieb Universe 1 (resized).jpgGottlieb Universe 1 (resized).jpg

DSC04180 (resized).JPGDSC04180 (resized).JPG

DSC04181 (resized).JPGDSC04181 (resized).JPG

DSC04182 (resized).JPGDSC04182 (resized).JPG

DSC04183 (resized).JPGDSC04183 (resized).JPG

DSC04184 (resized).JPGDSC04184 (resized).JPG

DSC04186 (resized).JPGDSC04186 (resized).JPG

DSC04191 (resized).JPGDSC04191 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

That's a beautiful woodrail!

#3 6 years ago

Very nice game and collection. I'm looking to trade a Green Pastures.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1959-gottlieb-universe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.