(Topic ID: 256255)

1959 Around the World or 1959 Williams Rocket?

By Silverstreak02

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Silverstreak02
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game is the better player and worth a restoration?”

• 1959 Williams Rocket 7 votes
    64%
  • 1959 Gottlieb Around the World 4 votes
    36%

(11 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

80E78C7D-BEBE-4EB3-A872-14CB6EEE3A3C (resized).jpeg
C90956E7-C72E-4680-B977-98252AE1653F (resized).jpeg
0DE52532-03CB-464F-8C4E-51A8E3C5A3C5 (resized).jpeg
94BD0977-6B61-46E5-8405-C47E03ED17EB (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I’m considering adding one wood rail to my collection. Initially I wanted a Williams 1959 Rocket since it was produced during my birth month and I like rockets. Recently I discovered a Gottlieb 1959 Around the World that I can buy locally. It’s a project and will be a challenge to buy for a reasonable price. For those that have played these which is the better playing game?

#2 1 year ago

Does anyone have a comment about either game? The poll is even at 2 votes so not much help there.

#3 1 year ago

I've never played rocket but it does look fun. I have ATW and it's fun being a 2 player game because you can try to line up the red, yellow and purple light values in the center of the playfield to get 10 times the value on the next shot. You can get 100 to 500 in one shot. It's fun trying to line it up for yourself or trying to screw it up so the other player doesn't get it easily. I also like the conditional outlanes. Lift up the flippers once the ball is in the slings, or shoot directly, and let the ball slide in for a quick 300 points which can help you catch up.

#4 1 year ago

When 2 pins are available that I have a similar interest in, my tie-breaker is value and convenience (cost, market value, current condition, and closeness to me).

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

When 2 pins are available that I have a similar interest in, my tie-breaker is value and convenience (cost, market value, current condition, and closeness to me).

I’ve never found a Rocket for sale, but there is a Around the World that can be had locally. I’ve been looking for a Rocket for almost two years.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I’ve never found a Rocket for sale, but there is a Around the World that can be had locally. I’ve been looking for a Rocket for almost two years.

I think you answered your own question.

#7 1 year ago

If you want a space themed pinball from 1959, you are probably better off getting a Gottlieb Universe. That game is much 'cooler' than the two you mentioned. I'm not sure what your budget is, but typically they go for around $1000 in average condition, closer to $2000 in very good to excellent shape.

7 months later
#8 6 months ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

If you want a space themed pinball from 1959, you are probably better off getting a Gottlieb Universe. That game is much 'cooler' than the two you mentioned.

Right. That's why I sold Universe and still own Rocket.

#9 6 months ago

Well I still can't find a Rocket or Universe. The Around the Word game is still for sale and she is now down to $300. I'm thinking about it. The pole and comments indicate otherwise so I wonder if it is a mistake to get it.

#10 6 months ago

These are the pictures she sent.
94BD0977-6B61-46E5-8405-C47E03ED17EB (resized).jpeg0DE52532-03CB-464F-8C4E-51A8E3C5A3C5 (resized).jpegC90956E7-C72E-4680-B977-98252AE1653F (resized).jpeg80E78C7D-BEBE-4EB3-A872-14CB6EEE3A3C (resized).jpeg

#11 6 months ago

Rocket is a better player IMHO. The play field layout and artwork is far better the Around the World. The fact that you are still looking for a Rocket speaks volumes.

So many people put Gottlieb ahead of Williams simply for the namesake. Williams has some great titles in the late 50's through early 60's that are worth getting.Rocket is one of them. Keep looking!

#12 6 months ago

Well I still can't find a Rocket or Universe. The Around the Word game is still for sale and she is now down to $300. I'm thinking about it. The pole and comments indicate otherwise so I wonder if it is a mistake to get it.

Must be a buyers market in your area. I wouldn’t even hesitate at $300. I’d buy it just to sit it in the corner to look at for that price.

#13 6 months ago

good chance the timber rails are under those after market metal ones

#14 6 months ago

I see O-Din has his Rocket for sale priced at $3500. The previous one that was in the market a few months ago sold for $3000. If that is the going price I won’t be able to afford one. I understand most everyone prefers Rocket over Around the World. I’m afraid Rocket is way out of my price range.

#15 6 months ago

I’m considering adding one wood rail to my collection. ... Recently I discovered a Gottlieb 1959 Around the World that I can buy locally.

7 months later...

The Around the Word game is still for sale and she is now down to $300. I'm thinking about it.

We need to revoke this guy's pinhead card, he doesn't know how it's done! LOL...

#16 6 months ago

I see O-Din has his Rocket for sale priced at $3500. The previous one that was in the market a few months ago sold for $3000. If that is the going price I won’t be able to afford one.

I am willing to be very flexible if you really want it, but it ain't going to be $400. If you are thinking about Around the World, it is a multiplayer woodrail, and of the many I have owned, I have only found one that had good enough rules. overall layout, and artwork that made it worth keeping. 1960 Williams Serenade. Most multiplayer woodrails are a super hard sell. Bummer, but true.

#17 6 months ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

7 months later...

We need to revoke this guy's pinhead card, he doesn't know how it's done! LOL...

Actually it's been closer to three years. Initially I passed due to condition and what I considered a high price that she wasn't willing to lower. After a couple of weeks on Craigslist she withdrew the ad. I touch base with her from time to time. The game was her husbands and has been in the family for a very long time. They were operators. Gradually she lowered her price enough to make it a reasonable purchase. It's very rough and of course doesn't work.

As far as my pinhead card is concerned you can try to take it back, but you should bring a first aid kit with you. You'll need it.

#18 6 months ago

Errr, ah, yeah, I meant this guy is the most patient pinhead ever and really knows how to work a deal !

Patience of Job, and gentleness of Sampson...

Yeesh, that was close...

#19 6 months ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Errr, ah, yeah, I meant this guy is the most patient pinhead ever and really knows how to work a deal !
Patience of Job, and gentleness of Sampson...
Yeesh, that was close...

OK now I think your funny.

I picked it up today for $200. I started a restoration thread. No hurry though I'm very slow at that to.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 110.00
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 16.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside