spring3 (resized).png
spring2 (resized).png
spring 1 (resized).jpg
stamp2 (resized).jpg
stamp1 (resized).jpg
pitchadj (resized).jpg
cam2 (resized).jpg
cam1 (resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Hey there, I've been working on a 58 Short Stop Pitch n Bat for some time now. Everything is in great shape and for the most part the machine operates nearly perfectly. But it won't pitch the ball using the pitch buttons.

When I start a new game, the bat swings, but stays energized and won't swing again until the game pitches. The Pitch motor works, and I can manually activate the Fast Pitch coil, and the pitch motor activates, and de-energizes the bat so it can swing again. Manually activating the slow pitch coil while the bat coil is energized does nothing, I'm assuming it may need to be replaced, but would a dead slow pitch coil prevent the fast pitch from working too? Seems like it shouldn't. Why would I be able to manually activate the fast coil, but pressing the button won't do the same? I can't seem to make heads or tails of it.

Pictures attached below for reference, and I have a video available showing the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/F2VFGXaW8GKPHw1p8

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks also to @steveintexas, I wouldn't have made it this far with his awesome restoration project.

PXL_20220620_211202124 (resized).jpgPXL_20220620_211202124 (resized).jpgPXL_20220710_230912354 (resized).jpgPXL_20220710_230912354 (resized).jpgPXL_20220710_230924007 (resized).jpgPXL_20220710_230924007 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

You will need to post the schematic to have any chance of figuring this out. Pinball database doesn’t offer it.

#3 1 year ago

If your machine is similar to 1957 deluxe baseball, then check the make/break switch on the motor relay. It controls sending power to the pitch push button switch when the relay is not energized. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks pinballdaveh - I have the schematics but I'm not adept enough at reading them for it to be helpful to me (yes, I've watched some videos on how to read them, but I'm very new at this). I'll take a look again at the make/break, but when I took the pitch motor apart last time, I did a pretty thorough cleaning, but it's possible I missed something. The Pitch motor activates when I fire the fast pitch coil manually...

I went back and re-tested the slow pitch coil and it appears to be dead. I have a new one on order and I'm hoping that completes the circuit so that the pitching buttons start to work. It's frustrating to be SO close to having everything working...

#5 1 year ago

Update: Cleaned the Make/Break switches on the motor and replaced the slow pitch coil. No change. My pitch buttons will not activate the pitch motor. I'm stumped. Everything else works great... if only it would pitch.

PXL_20220901_204542869 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_204542869 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_204824577 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_204824577 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_204847694 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_204847694 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

1st question: Is your game resetting the bank completely. In your video I can’t be sure?

If it is the 2nd question is how does your bat get energized before the pitch motor rotates and fires a ball? Check the other make break switch on the pitching cam as both switches appear powered ie closed before the make break cam switch changes.

We can get to question 3 that you are asking once we clarify questions 1&2. We will for your question probably need a 5’ wire and two croc clips next.

#7 1 year ago

Since your machine has 2 pitch buttons, the wiring is different from the schematic I was looking at. Please post your schematic so the proper circuit can be troubleshooted.

1 month later
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

1st question: Is your game resetting the bank completely. In your video I can’t be sure?
If it is the 2nd question is how does your bat get energized before the pitch motor rotates and fires a ball? Check the other make break switch on the pitching cam as both switches appear powered ie closed before the make break cam switch changes.
We can get to question 3 that you are asking once we clarify questions 1&2. We will for your question probably need a 5’ wire and two croc clips next.

SteveinTexas Apologies for the slow reply! I'm new to pinside and for some reason I'm not getting a reply notification..

So, THAT is a great couple of questions. The reset Bank "appears" to fully reset. I did have an issue with one of the contact plates on the 2nd Game Over bank that became misaligned (pic), but I fixed that. When I start the game, everything (Scores, runners, etc) appears to reset correctly. If I trigger the runs and outs, everything responds correctly. The game will score, strike, out, and move to 2nd player no problem.

BUT you correctly point out the the Bat is energized BEFORE the pitch motor pitches. It is energized to swing at the start of the game... which I believe it should not do until a ball is pitched. Also, once the bat is activated, the coil stays energized unless I manually activate the fast pitch coil... which is kinda backwards, right? Should be Button fires Pitch motor> activates the Bat> Bat Swings and coil stays energized until strike, out or score... correct? So is it possible that the Bat being energized is what is preventing the buttons from serving a pitch because it thinks it has already pitched and is waiting for the bat to swing and reset?

I did take the motor off to check the make/breaks, and to do a little more cleaning, but I didn't disassemble the cam (fearing making it worse). All the switches looked right, but I'm not sure what the starting positions should be for the cam... so maybe I need to rotate the cam to the next position and see if the buttons activate the motor from the new position (and prevent the bat from energizing at the beginning of the game).

At some point there was quite a bit of heat scarring at the bat relay... (pic) but the coil must be fine if the bat is swinging... and it has resistance. Possibly someone attempted a repair long ago, and didn't correctly reset the cam?

Interested to know your thoughts! Ohms meter, wire with alligator clips standing by, and I may try repositioning the cam in the meantime.

I will do my best to figure out the notifications so I don't miss you again. Thanks Steve! You and your old project have been a ton of help!

pinburn (resized).jpgpinburn (resized).jpgresetbank (resized).jpgresetbank (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago

until I get a chance to tidy it up and send to ipdb, a wip schem from valerie and richard conger via the pacific pinball museum is available at https://bingo.cdyn.com/ppm/short-stop/

#10 1 year ago

The pic of the bank shows that the 2nd relay shows the switching arm is moved to the right. Which might hinder correct operation. Correct problem and retry.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The pic of the bank shows that the 2nd relay shows the switching arm is moved to the right. Which might hinder correct operation. Correct problem and retry.

Yes, that is the 2nd Game Over Reset bank that I mentioned having already repaired... but thank you!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

until I get a chance to tidy it up and send to ipdb, a wip schem from valerie and richard conger via the pacific pinball museum is available at https://bingo.cdyn.com/ppm/short-stop/

Thanks very much for that! I have the originals, but they are blurry, faded, impossible to scan, and difficult to read.. this is MUCH better!

#13 1 year ago

The man running unit cam 3 index or home position has a make/break switch that transfers power from the pitching circuit to the bat relay hold circuit. It seems like this switch isn’t releasing the bat relay hold circuit and isn’t changing state to power the pitching circuit.
Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#14 1 year ago

I should have said cam C instead of cam 3.

#15 1 year ago

SteveinTexas pinballdaveh

So I went back and checked everything, I reset the cam... and after I did, the slow and fast pitch produced a spark at their coils, but didn't activate the pitch motor. Also, the bat remains energized and ready to swing before the pitch, even after a reset. After pitch motor was activated manually and the bat was released, the pitch buttons no longer sparked the coils, and I was right back to an energized bat, unable to activate a pitch. The switches are clean and the make/breaks seems to match the diagram.

All the parts work... just not in the right order! It has to be something simple I'm just not seeing... something is backwards.

For your diagnostic viewing pleasure, I've provided updated pictures, and a link to a video so you can see what it's doing. Thanks for the help and insights.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dWdboR9ucbkpDsxb9

Cam1 (resized).jpgCam1 (resized).jpgcam3 (resized).jpgcam3 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpgCamdiagram (resized).pngCamdiagram (resized).png
#16 1 year ago

Part of the fun working on pitch and bats is unplugging and removing the man running unit for inspection. Cam switch operation is important for circuits to work correctly. Clean and check all cam and man on base switches. Check man on base load coil arm for proper operation. Reinstall unit after completed inspection.

#17 1 year ago

Interesting... I actually have not done much with the man running unit because the runners are running/scoring correctly when triggering any of the scoring switches (attempting not to try and fix anything that ain't already broke). Just so I know we're talking about the same thing, you're saying to remove, check, and clean this unit, yes?

man1 (resized).jpgman1 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

I updated the schem in the url above and sent it to ipdb.org. The file will disappear from the bingo site eventually after it goes live on ipdb.

about your issue ... it's not obvious from the schem how the bat solenoid is powered. There's a bat relay switch, a bat switch and a bat EOS (end of stroke) switch. Typically an EOS switch is on the solenoid unit and detects when the plunger pulls in, but maybe in this case it's on the bat lever mechanism? Got a picture of the bat lever showing wires/switches on it?

in any case, the pitching issue is more straightforward. For the pitch motor to turn on, the pitcher relay needs to power. There's a few switches in the circuit. Got a voltmeter?

the circuit is below.

assuming the pitcher relay coil is ok, a quick check is manually close the pitcher relay. It should hold itself closed until the pitcher unit has spun around enough to open the "1" switch in the orange highlighted circuit.

If that works, then the orange circuit is ok and your problem is an open switch along the yellow highlight path.

If it doesn't work, then one of the two switches below the yellow highlight joint is open or the switch at F17 (not shown) is open when it shouldn't be ... or the pitcher relay coil is bad (you can touch a jumper from yellow wire 30 to the red/white wire on the pitcher relay coil to see if the coil fires).

note any cam symbol with a C in it is a switch on the pitcher unit. B is the running man unit and A is the control/relay cam unit. I think dave oopsed that and you don't need to look at the running man unit (yet).

if you have a voltmeter, you can attached one probe to the black wire on any handy 50V coil. Other probe you can poke anywhere along the orange/yellow highlighted path below the slow pitch switch and you should measure 50VAC.

ideally you jumper or hold closed the slow pitch switch and probe looking for someplace the voltage drops way below 50V. Using this approach will find a a cruddy switch in addition to an open one.
pitch (resized).pngpitch (resized).png

oh, and note the schem is for game 203. ipdb says deluxe is game 205, but their description says deluxe has match and replays ... which the 203 schem has. Does your schem say 205 on it?

#19 1 year ago

baldtwit Wow, that's a lot of useful info BT, thank you!

I'm very new at this and TBH, this is pushing the limits of my skill/abilities, but I will take some time to trace this out and see what I can come up with! Also, here is a pic of the bat switch after replacing the original rusty bat, per your request. This does trigger the bat, no problem.

batmech (resized).jpgbatmech (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago

What I thought was mr was actually mk next to the switch symbol.

#21 1 year ago

if you're bored while plodding through the pitching stuff, do you have a manual for the game or a piece of paper detailing the bat relay?

assuming the relay mounted at the charcoaled wood is the bat relay, it looks like the 3rd switch (top/furthest from frame) is upside down. It should be a normally open switch, and that would explain why your bat is working when you haven't pitched yet. Was that switch stack or entire relay replaced to your knowledge?

if you're really bored and figure out where the "strike switch" is, please post a pic of that. It may be a switch on the pitcher unit, but the blades should have yellow wire 30 and green/brown wire 46-1 on the blades and I don't see that combo in your posted pics.

#22 1 year ago

baldtwit Holy cow! Good eye! You're right... so when that moves up, the switch stays open... looks like I have my project for today!

So no, no manual. All I have are faded schematics and part lists. I'm going to flip that switch and see if I can't track down that strike switch.

I really appreciate the great advice!

switch3 (resized).pngswitch3 (resized).png
#23 1 year ago

just to make sure, the switch I mean is the bottom one in the picture ... it's the top switch in the stack, but the relay is appears upside down when the playfield is tilted up against the head.

that switch is currently closed when the relay is unpowered, right? If you stick paper between the contacts, the bat should no longer work.

#24 1 year ago

Busy Halloween weekend, so I didn't get to it yet, but YES, the bottom switch in the pic. The thing is, I don't think it's closed (I'll get a better pic when I go to fix it) but either way, when the coil activates, the other 2 switches will close, but that one will open/stay open. Hoping to get to it tonight.

#25 1 year ago

baldtwit BT! Had a spare 10 min on my lunch break today and tested your theory... spot on muh man. That switch WAS closed. I put a piece of paper in there, but rather than preventing the bat from pitching... The bat was able to swing continuously like there was no EOS, but the Bat Coil was no longer locked on after the swing. Definitely heading in the right direction! I also tried a pitch button, which sparked the coil, didn't pitch, and made the paper fall out, but by then my time was up. Hoping to flip the switch tonight or tomorrow, but figured I'd let you know where things stand for now. A couple of updated pics too..

Progress!! I'll take it!!

bat-slow-fast (resized).pngbat-slow-fast (resized).pngclosed 1 (resized).pngclosed 1 (resized).png
#26 1 year ago
Quoted from IAmTheCzar:

baldtwit BT! Had a spare 10 min on my lunch break today and tested your theory... spot on muh man. That switch WAS closed. I put a piece of paper in there, but rather than preventing the bat from pitching... The bat was able to swing continuously like there was no EOS ...

that's not good ... either the deluxe game isn't wired like the schematic I have, or there's a wiring problem.

on the schematic you have, does it say 205 short stop or 203 short stop?

the test was just turn on the game, reset it, and close the bat switch on the rail. No pitch buttons, right?

assuming the game is wired like the 203 schematic, the 120V bat coil should not be able to power until the bat relay powers, and closing the bat switch shouldn't do that.

I think the bat relay powers when the "strike switch" closes, but I don't know where that switch is. I assume closes after the pitcher relay powers.

sanity check, the wire colors on bat relay switch 3 are yellow/red and green/red. You'll have to dig back into the harness a little to see the unfaded wire colors. Red is a particularly troublesome color ... sometimes it's fine, other times it's greyish/white.

switch 1 on the bat relay is the hold switch, but it won't hold if the pitcher motor is not running AND the pitcher relay is powered.

if you reset the game and manually close the bat relay, it should hold itself closed. If it doesn't, either switch 1 on the bat relay isn't closing or switch 3 on the pitcher relay isn't closed when the pitcher relay isn't energized (yellow and black/brown wires).

in case you aren't familiar with switch adjust, see http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

can ya post a pic of the connector plugs ... especially the one connecting the rail to the game. One explanation for the bat and pitch button behavior is that plug is in wrong somehow ... the wire colors should match between the plug and socket when the plug is installed.

#27 1 year ago

ok, so... I made some significant progress last night. I took apart the Fast Pitch switch, but the bakelite was all original and it appears that the bottom switch in fact should be closed. It is the same way on the Bat coil, and the slow pitch coil doesn't have a 3rd switch. I also compared this to SteveinTexas's restoration and his switched have the same configuration, so it IS correct.

So I put it all back and checked the wires for anything loose. After checking, I started checking the strike switch (in the ball return channel).. suddenly the pitch buttons started reacting, but not pitching.

Then I noticed that the pitch arm wasn't completing a full revolution. So... I've come to the conclusion that all the wiring is fine and functioning, It looks like I need to take apart, clean, realign, and lubricate the pitch arm because (I believe) that the momentary contact of pitch coils doesn't hold it long enough to overcome the resistance on the pitch arm, whereas if I hold the FP coil closed, it's enough for the motor to overcome the resistance, and it pitches.

I was hoping not to have to take that all apart, but it seems unavoidable at this point. Here... take a look, video link is below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTbPprDPZTMky2nM7

#28 1 year ago

baldtwit BTW, the schematic says "203" Here's a pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KLYvqG58hq37nPtf9

#29 1 year ago

you want the switch the red arrow is pointing at to close when the cam follower is around 1/2-2/3 out of the notch. That is the index carryover switch at schem F26 ... keeps the motor turned on until the follower falls in a notch. The gap looks pretty big currently, so bend the short blade down closer to the long one.
ss_pitch (resized).jpgss_pitch (resized).jpg

to get the motor running long enough for the carryover switch to take over, you need switch 1 on the pitcher relay or switch 2 on the fast pitch relay to be closed AND another cam switch with red arrow below closed.

if the pitcher motor just burps for fast and slow pitches, then it's more likely the switch below is just cruddy or not adjusted well. With power off, turn the pitch cams so the follower falls in a notch and make sure the long blade stays against the follower. Bend at the orange arrow if necessary - this is one of the exceptions to "never bend the long blade" comment that gets tossed around. You may also need to bend the leftmost blade that has no wire attached ... it's just there for the nylon lifter on the long blade to ride on.

once you have the long blade mashed against the follower in the notch, adjust the right blade for a reasonable switch gap and make sure when turning the cam until the follower is out of the notch you get good switch overtravel.

the switch itself looks oily, which is not good. Clean with alcohol or whatever to get the grease off the contacts.

as a test for the switch working, you can jumper the long and right blades closed (wires 89 and 53) and manually close the pitcher relay. The pitch motor should run forever and the pitcher relay would stay powered.

ss2 (resized).jpgss2 (resized).jpg

#30 1 year ago

Awesome, I will be sure to verify that it is closing correctly!!

#31 1 year ago

IAmTheCzar you are in good hands with baldtwit.

Here is some general info link that may help you as a reference. With the help of pinsiders I made a Williams running man baseball game parts reference list. A lot of the parts over the years were interchangeable and this is why perhaps games are still around today. Here is a link, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-baseball-game-motor-coils-and-bat-assembly-information#post-6789380 . We have found a minor table mistake on the short stop. I have cross listed the deluxe (#203) and the novelty (#205, i.e. no replay unit). My game and your games are the deluxe replay enabled version and it is game reference #203. It matters as the novelty version had no replay unit or match feature and the schematic would have been a little different.

Your pitcher motor was orginally a can type motor but you have a more heavy duty motor installed and that will be better for the game action. To help you strip-down and rebuild your pitcher unit here is a link to a 63 game with the same pitcher unit. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1963-major-league-restoration . The pitcher unit tutorial starts at post #33.

I will be following your journey getting this game back to working condition.

Steve

#32 1 year ago

IAmTheCzar you are in good hands with baldtwit.

that's optimistic ...

it's possible switch 3 on the bat relay is correct and the schematic symbol is wrong, so don't turn over the switch yet. On the other hand, if you stuck paper between the switch 3 contacts, the bat should not be able to swing, so I'd guess someone has modified the circuit. Suggest you leave that stuff alone and get the pitching working for now, then deal with the bat if it's not working sensibly.

tmi
----
if the schematic is wrong for bat relay switch 3 and it's supposed to be N.C., it appears you can swing the bat before pitching ... once. If you push the bat lever first:

1] the bat swings and closes the EOS switch
2] the bat relay powers and opens bat relay switch 3.
- the bat relay should stay powered thru a pitcher relay switch 3.
- the bat coil unpowers.
3] since the bat relay is powered, the bat lever switch is now dead and will stay dead until the pitcher relay powers and releases the bat relay.
4] since no ball went over the trough switch, you don't get a strike for the pre-pitch bat swing.

if for some reason someone starts a game, closes the bat switch and walks away without pitching, the bat relay will stay powered forever. A Z-31-2300 should be able to handle that, but if someone put in the wrong coil or just age-related partial shorting of the coil happened, that would explain the charcoaled wood.

if it turns out the above is right and the schematic is wrong, I'll update the schem with a note and resend it to ipdb.

if the schematic is right, then somewhere in the game is a "strike sw." with yellow and green/brown wires on the blades. That switch would need to close to power the bat relay and enable the bat. You could swing the bat as many times as you wanted until the bat relay unpowered. Switch 3 on the bat relay would be upside down and needs to be N.O.

if the switch in the ball trough has black/grey and white/blue wires on it, that's the "trough past ball sw". It causes the strike unit to step up when the bat relay is powered and a ball rolls over the switch to close it ... I assume when the ball gets past the bat and drains in a bottom hole.

#33 1 year ago

SteveinTexas baldtwit You guys have been amazingly helpful. Thanks for sticking with me as I feel like I'm just barely know what I'm doing.

The other day I took the motor off again and cleaned the cam, and the switches, re-greased all the parts that needed it, but when I put it back together, it was pretty much the same, but once I activated the pitching motor, it kept spinning, then it started getting stuck... and it was getting late, so I'll have to pull it all apart again this weekend and see what I did wrong. Not too worried... yet.

Thanks again guys.. will post again after I get back to it.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

that's optimistic ...
it's possible switch 3 on the bat relay is correct and the schematic symbol is wrong, so don't turn over the switch yet. On the other hand, if you stuck paper between the switch 3 contacts, the bat should not be able to swing, so I'd guess someone has modified the circuit. Suggest you leave that stuff alone and get the pitching working for now, then deal with the bat if it's not working sensibly.
tmi
----
if the schematic is wrong for bat relay switch 3 and it's supposed to be N.C., it appears you can swing the bat before pitching ... once. If you push the bat lever first:
1] the bat swings and closes the EOS switch
2] the bat relay powers and opens bat relay switch 3.
- the bat relay should stay powered thru a pitcher relay switch 3.
- the bat coil unpowers.
3] since the bat relay is powered, the bat lever switch is now dead and will stay dead until the pitcher relay powers and releases the bat relay.
4] since no ball went over the trough switch, you don't get a strike for the pre-pitch bat swing.
if for some reason someone starts a game, closes the bat switch and walks away without pitching, the bat relay will stay powered forever. A Z-31-2300 should be able to handle that, but if someone put in the wrong coil or just age-related partial shorting of the coil happened, that would explain the charcoaled wood.
if it turns out the above is right and the schematic is wrong, I'll update the schem with a note and resend it to ipdb.
if the schematic is right, then somewhere in the game is a "strike sw." with yellow and green/brown wires on the blades. That switch would need to close to power the bat relay and enable the bat. You could swing the bat as many times as you wanted until the bat relay unpowered. Switch 3 on the bat relay would be upside down and needs to be N.O.
if the switch in the ball trough has black/grey and white/blue wires on it, that's the "trough past ball sw". It causes the strike unit to step up when the bat relay is powered and a ball rolls over the switch to close it ... I assume when the ball gets past the bat and drains in a bottom hole.

Not sure I follow this switch error reasoning, and as you recommend we need the pitcher unit to work correctly before we can move further investigating the switch operation.

This is a general description how the Shortstop works. All Williams baseball games work the same way.

The baseball bat only energizes after the pitch button is pressed and during the pitcher unit throwing cycle. A switch on the pitcher unit energizes as the throwing arm cam is rotated and opens power to the bat relay that in turn provides power to the bat unit lever or button. Slide the lever or press the button and the bat hopefully strikes the ball. Decline to swing the bat no issue just press the pitch button again and the pitching unit fires another ball.

The shortstop has a unique strike feature that if you miss the ball it usually counts as a strike. Two more consecutive misses and the strike unit energizes a switch on the out unit. To make this work better the playfield is sloped away from the bat area unlike all other baseball games so only missed balls can drop into the catch point. It is a nice feature.

#35 1 year ago

SteveinTexas Steve, what would make the Bat become energized at the start of the game, prior to any pitch?

#36 1 year ago

If you look at the schematic the answer is the pitch relay energizes the bat relay by energizing switch SW3 shown at G25 on the schematic. The bat SW is the lever or button on the front moulding and J2 on the schematic is now energized.

Before you asked how this pitch relay SW3 switch does this, I will attempt to tell you but baldtwit needs to check me.

Say you press the slow pitch button shown at K24 on the schematic, it energizes the pitcher relay directly. All 3 pitcher relay switches will change state to closed including SW3.

Say you press the fast pitch button shown at K24 on the schematic its a little more convoluted as it needs to also energize the fast solenoid and the fast pitch relay switches. Soon as the fast pitch relay energizes the pitcher relay it’s switches change state and power the pitcher relay including SW3.

#37 1 year ago

Not sure I follow this switch error reasoning, and as you recommend we need the pitching unit to work correctly before we can move further investigating the switch operation.
This is a general description how the Shortstop works. All Williams baseball games work the same way.
The baseball bat only energizes after the pitch button is pressed and during the pitching unit throwing cycle. A switch on the pitching unit energizes as the throwing arm cam is rotated and opens power to the bat relay that in turn provides power to the bat unit lever or button ....

if this is one of those ambiguities about when "normally" is and the usual state of the bat relay is being powered, then it works like you describe.

question is tho, how does the bat relay get powered initially? Looks like only the strike switch can do it, and I dunno what/where that thing is.

while the bat may look to the player to work the same on the williams games, the circuit for all the schems I've seen is slightly different on all of them. The only ones that aren't clear are short-stop and the game before it

wrt czar's latest problem, if the pitch motor doesn't stop, it should be one of the switches around the cam edge isn't changing state when the stack changes state (falls into a cam notch or gets lifted by a cam lobe). Make sure the stack is following the cam edge and not floating above the cam, then check the switches are doing something that makes sense.

#38 1 year ago

The strike switch is situated where the ball falls when missed by the batter. See picture. IMG_2860 (resized).jpgIMG_2860 (resized).jpg

The strike switch, bat relay SW1 and bat unit EOS are all wired in parallel except the bat relay SW1 has the pitcher SW3 upstream and are located at H25 on the schematic.

#39 1 year ago

SteveinTexas So, there is good news and bad news... The good news is, it looks like the retaining clip on the driving cam wasn't secure, so I reseated all that, but it is not staying on now. After I removed the retaining clip, I can no long see the driving cam recess collar. But, putting that aside for the moment...

I tested everything with the motor off... and everything seems to work like it should, with the exception that the Bat is still energized before the pitch, BUT both pitch buttons work!

See video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5v2YzdrPA2NgZpDA

BUT.. as soon as I replace the motor... everything goes right back to the way it was. The pitch sparks once, doesn't turn the motor, and I'm back to manually triggering the pitch to get the bat solenoid to de-energize.

See video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADohgopaYK9j55Fm7

Lastly... the retaining clip keeps coming off.. not sure what I did, but I can't see the driving cam recess collar anymore, and I can't seem to find a way to extend it back out. I was trying to take the driving cam off but couldn't figure out how to disengage it, which I now believe I overlooked stop pin E, but the spring tension is fine, so I'd rather not take it apart unless I have to. That said, Steve's pitch arm breakdown says "it will work without it" - is that accurate? Can I just leave off the retaining clamp and replace the motor? Is there a better way to get the center post to extend out so I can get the retaining clamp back on? Before and after pics attached. :/

Thoughts on why replacing the motor suddenly stops the pitching buttons? Thanks guys.

cam before (resized).jpgcam before (resized).jpgcam1 (resized).jpgcam1 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpg
#40 1 year ago

On pic 2 of 3, the top make/break switch looks like the long blade is not touching the short blade under it.

#41 1 year ago

pinballdaveh is right:

Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On pic 2 of 3, the top make/break switch looks like the long blade is not touching the short blade under it.

#42 1 year ago

pinballdaveh Fixed it, but oddly, no real change... I may have done that as I was cleaning the grease off recently.

With the motor off, the pitch buttons work, and one time I got them to stay locked on, but I'm not sure what I did and can't seem to recreate it.

Updated video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y7eK4orGLAUvDxbE7

switch1 (resized).jpgswitch1 (resized).jpg
#43 1 year ago

The make/break switch stack in the 3 o’clock position on the pitch cam is in the hold circuit for the pitch relays . Clean and check switch for proper relay operation.

#44 1 year ago

IAmTheCzar,

It’s great your pitch buttons now work. We need to fix the cam . The reason the cam is not sitting correctly is the spring is not sitting in position (please be careful with the spring as they are currently unobtanium). You will need to recoil the spring. We need an E clip and possibly some skinny washers to keep the cam on the shaft. this is the next item to fix as we are nowing getting close to fixing you game.

I knew I was not completely sure how this game works when baldtwit asked me how does this game energize the bat relay. I looked at how my game works (seems to me to be working correctly).

I need to update the action of the Shortstop as follows;

1. The first time you switch this game on the bat relay is not energized.
2. The bat lever WILL fire the first time as bat relay switch SW3 (110V) is located after the bat switch in series and is in a closed position.
3. This activates the bat EOS to energize the bat relay for the next ball.
4. We press the pitch button and this activates the pitcher relay deenergizing the bat relay.
5. This closes the bat lever bat relay SW3 for one swing.
6. And the cycle repeats.

Point is the bat lever is live at the start of every game on the Short Stop.

Here is what the pitcher relay switches should be positioned like without the pitcher relay energized.
IMG_2863 (resized).jpgIMG_2863 (resized).jpg
Here is a picture of how the bat relay switches should be like without the bat relay being energized.
IMG_2864 (resized).jpgIMG_2864 (resized).jpg
for grins here is the fast pitch relay which we know is correct as you have told us they work.
IMG_2865 (resized).jpgIMG_2865 (resized).jpg

#45 1 year ago

SteveinTexas Ok, E clip and skinny washers, no problem. Will grab them tomorrow.

Going over your teardown of the Pitch mech, I wanted to see if I have this right; I will need to remove Stop Screw E, in order to remove the driving Cam from the center shaft, yes? Is that the only point holding it? Once E is removed, will it pull free from the stop dogs? Also, once I do pull it off the shaft, as the spring is connected, is everything (main spring, stop dogs) all going to pop out from the tension? Or should I be removing the stop dogs first?

Sounds like I *really* don't want to screw up that spring, and I'm already well past my typical comfort zone! (though very much enjoying the challenge.) Your pics added for reference.

cam1 (resized).jpgcam1 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpgcam2 (resized).jpgpitchadj (resized).jpgpitchadj (resized).jpg
#46 1 year ago

Post E is screwed in and out. It is out when cam is tensioned or opposite. It is screwed in when you are finished and put back in the game.

Do you take the pitcher unit out of the game when you work on it? I do.

First remove the clip and washers,
Hold the pitch lever and carefully release the dogs as you hold the cam and as you release the spring the dogs slip into the cams again. Keep a good grip as you keep rotating the cam until the tension is released. The dogs will help as they re-enter the cam dwell as it rotates.

The spring can be recentered and you hold the pitcher lever and rotate the cam using the dogs to lock every rotation. You need to get as much tension as possible.

Good luck.

Last question is what rpm and voltage is the motor? It should be stamped on the motor.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from IAmTheCzar:

SteveinTexas So, there is good news and bad news... The good news is, it looks like the retaining clip on the driving cam wasn't secure, so I reseated all that, but it is not staying on now. After I removed the retaining clip, I can no long see the driving cam recess collar. But, putting that aside for the moment...
I tested everything with the motor off... and everything seems to work like it should, with the exception that the Bat is still energized before the pitch, BUT both pitch buttons work!
See video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5v2YzdrPA2NgZpDA
BUT.. as soon as I replace the motor... everything goes right back to the way it was. The pitch sparks once, doesn't turn the motor, and I'm back to manually triggering the pitch to get the bat solenoid to de-energize.
See video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADohgopaYK9j55Fm7
Lastly... the retaining clip keeps coming off.. not sure what I did, but I can't see the driving cam recess collar anymore, and I can't seem to find a way to extend it back out. I was trying to take the driving cam off but couldn't figure out how to disengage it, which I now believe I overlooked stop pin E, but the spring tension is fine, so I'd rather not take it apart unless I have to. That said, Steve's pitch arm breakdown says "it will work without it" - is that accurate? Can I just leave off the retaining clamp and replace the motor? Is there a better way to get the center post to extend out so I can get the retaining clamp back on? Before and after pics attached. :/
Thoughts on why replacing the motor suddenly stops the pitching buttons? Thanks guys. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good Morning IAmTheCzar,
Looked at your second video (missed it yesterday). Looks like you are there, everything is working correctly. Fix the switch that HowardR and Pinballdaveh mentioned and that will power the pitcher Re with the pitch buttons.

You may need to check continuity between the pitch buttons and the pitcher relay. Get a 3’ long wire with two alligator clips on the ends and connect directly. You have three Jones plugs to check out if you get the jumper to energize the pitcher relay.

The strike sw is not supposed to fire if the bat has pulled as they are an either or to deenergize the bat relay. The lever DOES work on the first pull as yours does.

Send us another video of the game working.

Steve

#48 1 year ago

I appreciate your optimism, AND I'm going to need all the luck I can get!

Busy week, so I may not get to it until the weekend... but you guys have made me very hopeful! Thanks for sticking with me through all of this!

#49 1 year ago

And just for good measure... reference pics. Motor stamps, and current Spring status. Got my E clips and washers... now I just need time.

spring 1 (resized).jpgspring 1 (resized).jpgspring2 (resized).pngspring2 (resized).pngspring3 (resized).pngspring3 (resized).pngstamp1 (resized).jpgstamp1 (resized).jpgstamp2 (resized).jpgstamp2 (resized).jpg
#50 1 year ago

steve emailed me pics of his revised schematic. I merged the changes and submitted to ipdb. Until it shows up, you can grab the updated schem from https://bingo.cdyn.com/ppm/short-stop/

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1958-williams-short-stop-won-t-pitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.