Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by zooman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Before pics

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Front of cab

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Other side

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Finding the original paint

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

After making templates

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Front and side

#7 10 years ago

Front and side

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Inside cab

image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Inside cab after elbow grease and some paint and ball return cleaned up

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Bravo!!

Well done!

Looking forward to the final pictures.

Marcus

#11 10 years ago

Running man unit before( back shot)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Running man unit after some help from a few Pinsiders that had contacts,

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Thanks Marcus,I've been sharing these on FB and saw you are a friend of Chris Munson!!! He's an awesome guy!!!

#14 10 years ago

That looks fantastic! Great job.

#15 10 years ago

yes very nice

#16 10 years ago

Very cool!

#17 10 years ago

Wow, that machine looks great!

#18 10 years ago

Somebody was busy to say the least.
    Nice work on the resto zooman

#19 10 years ago

That is some top notch craftsmanship. Please tell us how you did the cabinet stencil work!

#20 10 years ago

Thanks guys, I got two games to make one. they prolly should have been parted out but my friend Max and i talked about trying to bring one back to life. After we got it up and working, we started the restore process. Max has all the wood sanded down and stained and it looks excellent. He has a wood shop behind his house and has all the tools for sanding, buffing, polishing, bead blasting, etc.
    Max does all the soldering, I just hold the wires in place. I suck at soldering, lol.... and I did all the cab and head repair. Bondo on the big holes, wood glue on the busted wood, spackle on the scratches, etc.
    Steve, I went to Texas Art Supply and bought a 12 foot by 4 foot roll of mylar( used it on Globetrotter game). I staple the mylar ( cut to fit) over the cab and take a this marks a lot and trace out the first color. since this had multiple colors, I shot green as the base, then made a tan one, then a white one, a blue one and a black one. After I trace the color out I find a place to take an exacto knife and cut out the color that will be shot. We have hard countertops at work( i'm a lab tech and do this on night shift) so I have plenty of room. i've tried the wood burning iron, other cutters, but for me, the exacto is the way to go. After i got my templates cut, I sanded and repaired the cab. I taped what I wanted off, shot the green first. Then i sprayed tacky glue on the back of the tan template, set it in place and shot the tan paint. i shot two coats rather quickly, waited about 5 to 10 minutes and pulled the template up. i stapled the template to the wall to save for the other side. i shot all the colors this way, flipped the cabinet and used the same template on the other side. the paint side of the template was dried, so I sprayed a lite coat of tacky spray on it and laid it down. i only try to used the tacky spray on the edges that need to be held down of the cut area, i do not spray the whole template. After i am done and the templates are dry, i put wax paper between the templates and roll them up. i can either try them on the next game i have or give them to someone else to try.
    hope that helps.

#21 10 years ago

Tacky glue spray.... you mean like the 3m spray adhesive?

3m.jpg3m.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Wow. Looks great!

#23 10 years ago

Zooman I am really hoping that once you get this project completed you can take some time and make a detailed video of game play. It's been a very long time since I've (and many others) have seen a ball game in action.

#24 10 years ago

Steve, I think the tacky spray is similar, but I'll get the name tomorrow. I'll take a vid of it when we get it done. I am putting all the cab wiring back in over the next few days. Had to do other chores so only got an hour in today.

#25 10 years ago

It is Krylon tacky spray. After I finish that can I'll try the 3M brand.

#26 10 years ago

Some more progress pics:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Closer pic: brought the game to my friends shop where we have done the trim work. Today we put the legs on, some of the trim and set the running man unit in. We are still working on the play field, inserts, and the head.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Another shot

image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 10 years ago

That looks super nice!

#30 10 years ago

OMG My jaw drops open

#31 10 years ago

Wow,that is some great work there.I always loved those old baseball games and always have my eyes peeled for one.Good to see someone digging in and saving one.Don't scrap the other one unless there is just no chance of saving it.Excellent work on the cabinet stencils,those are not easy to do.I just did a United Steeplechase the same way you did and had some trouble with the paint working it's way under the stencil edges,even with the spray tack.I think the thinner in the spray paint I used broke down the glue.Turned out ok anyways.I had trouble with the long slow curves.Hard to free hand them in both the tracing and the cutting.Should have tried using a flexible curve they have at art shops.Now I have to start on the playfield.The old machines like these are the really rewarding ones to spend the time on.Can't wait to see more pics of your machine as you work on it!It's beautiful!

steeple1.jpgsteeple1.jpg

#32 10 years ago

very nice workshop you have zooman
    love to one day have a space that size

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from jukehero1:

Can't wait to see more pics of your machine as you work on it!It's beautiful!

Ditto. Is that a Blackout I saw in your pic? Nice.

#34 10 years ago

nice post- thx

#35 10 years ago

Great Job so far zooman!

Nice that you were able to save one machine out of the two.

Ken

#36 10 years ago

Zooman, great job! Keep on restoring!

Brad

#37 10 years ago

Yes,Balpers...Excellent eyes,it is a Blackout!Just finished doing the artwork touchups and clearcoating the playfield.

P6300177.JPGP6300177.JPG

#38 10 years ago

By the way Zooman,what did you use to get all those layers of crud paint off to get to the original cabinet artwork?That has some amazing original cabinet artwork.Why someone would ever feel the need to paint over it is a mystery to me.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from jukehero1:

Yes,Balpers...Excellent eyes,it is a Blackout!Just finished doing the artwork touchups and clearcoating the playfield.

Thanks! As a Blackout owner myself, I recognized that front cabinet artwork.

Looks like yours is in really great shape. My cabinet and backbox both need a little TLC, but I'll address that sometime in the future. (see my profile).

Thanks for posting the pic!

#40 10 years ago

Sorry I've been gone for a few days guys. Shift work sucks sometimes.
    HDC, that's my friend Max's wood shop. It is nice!!!
    JukeHero, I used a razor blade, one made for cleaning glass off.
    Also, up close, this game does have a few places that bled through, and I may touch them up. That's what I did on the Globetrotter cabinet on a few spots.
    I just shot the base coats for the head to this game and the back cover.
    Max and I are going to have to make new inserts because the old ones are just too far gone.
    As far as the play fields on both the games, one is totally shot( it's de lamenating) and the one for this game we are working on was painted over and pretty worn. I went to the sign shop I use ( made a Kiss custom cabinet for my own personal use that I saw here) and they have made a play field overlay for this game. I know it's not original and we toyed with trying to refurb what we had with that play field, but I don't think it would have turned out right.

#41 10 years ago

Before, the head of the game

image.jpgimage.jpg

#42 10 years ago

After paint removed

image.jpgimage.jpg

#43 10 years ago

The background color and two template colors done on one side

image.jpgimage.jpg

#44 10 years ago

Nice work, keep us posted!

1 week later
    #45 10 years ago

The head of the game with paint complete.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#46 10 years ago

The playfield sanded down and inserts removed

image.jpgimage.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Front of the "brain"

image.jpgimage.jpg

#48 10 years ago

Back of the "brain". All of the steeper units, coils and solder joints have been cleaned. Getting ready to tape and paint

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 10 years ago

That turned out so beautiful !

Thank you for the pictures.

LTG : )

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from zooman:

The playfield sanded down and inserts removed

Could you explain a bit about the playfield overlay you had made? Did you scan the playfield and touchup in software, and then the sign shop prints out on... what? Or ?

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1954-williams-super-pennant-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.