You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

253224_10201066431807466_230476317_n.jpg
goldsta6.jpg
524736_10201066354925544_1780518436_n.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have an old EM i am fixing and noticed an assemble is missing in the bottom of the cabinet that i believe ends the game or shuts it off. I can see the imprint of whatever assemble was used and the wires attached to the coil that is missing. I was just wondering if anyone had one they could snap a couple pictures of and post.

524736_10201066354925544_1780518436_n.jpg524736_10201066354925544_1780518436_n.jpg
#2 10 years ago

This was the only picture i could find and you can just barely see the assemble in the lower left corner of the picture. It looks like a white plastic box?

goldsta6.jpggoldsta6.jpg
#3 10 years ago

That's where the play meter went.

1954 Gottliebs don't have a dedicated Game Over circuit. The game just ends after all five balls have been played, but the playfield remains powered on and active.

The 'kick off' switch is used to power off the game though, which is the switch shown in your picture with the small metal shaft under it.

#4 10 years ago

Right, I see the metal post so how would you turn it off with this switch? Is it timed or you manually have to turn it off?

#5 10 years ago

Or even better where do i find one? lol

#6 10 years ago

Oh.....so the player meter just keeps track of the game but to turn it off you what, just smack the bottom of the cabinet where that metal post is?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Right, I see the metal post so how would you turn it off with this switch? Is it timed or you manually have to turn it off?

On Gottliebs, before they added a dedicated on/off switch (in the late 60's), the games were turned off by slapping the bottom of the game cabinet. This causes that little metal shaft to bounce up, which in turn opens that switch to turn off the game. The game is then turned back on by dropping a coin in the chute, or pressing the start button if there are already credits on the game.

Since slapping the bottom of the game isn't so swift (or practical), plugging the game into a power strip that has its own on/off switch is helpful (and leaves the originality of the game intact).

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Oh.....so the player meter just keeps track of the game but to turn it off you what, just smack the bottom of the cabinet where that metal post is?

Correct. They are unrelated.

#9 10 years ago

This post

253224_10201066431807466_230476317_n.jpg253224_10201066431807466_230476317_n.jpg
#10 10 years ago

Hahahahaha noooooo shit! That is awesome! It works just as you said.

#11 10 years ago

More accurately, the play meter (aka play counter) keeps track of how many games were started (it was used to track the number of plays, so it could be compared to the coin 'take').

#12 10 years ago

Welcome to EMs.

#13 10 years ago

Its been an adventure and a pleasure rapping my brain around my first em repair. I am so enjoying discovering all of its hidden mystery's. One thing i noticed that is still unknown is the three "Star" light labeled A, b, and C on the back box seem to light up in this video at 1:17

But on my machine there are no lights behind these at all. Not even a hole, nothing. But it looks like it lights in the video when he hits one of the star holes.

#14 10 years ago

The schematic would indicate whether they should light up or not. But it sure looks like they should light up.

Any chance the backbox board was swapped out?

Pictures might yield some additional clues, but the schematic would tell in short order.

#15 10 years ago

That looks like a fun game to play.

#16 10 years ago

I agree it looks frustratingly fun.

#17 10 years ago

Yea i am having a ball. I can't stop playing it. i have all the "action" smooth as silk. All the steppers cleaned, contacts, coils, etc... everything. My jaw almost hit the floor when i found stuff for it from Marco Specialties. Patiently waiting for the rubber kit so i can start breaking down the playfield and tweak it all up As far as the backbox i also noticed that there is no light or socket or even a wire for the "50" light so the score only goes to 49 but, it also ends at 49 on the stepper so maybe it is the wrong back plate...strange

#18 10 years ago

I have this thing resetting perfectly and quick. Love this stuff.

#19 10 years ago

That looks like a blast. Nothing better than seeing these machines have new life breathed into them.

--Jeff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1954-gottliebs-gold-star-pictures-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.