hbfield2.jpg
 caps.jpg
hbfield.jpg
hb4.jpg
hb3.jpg
hb2.jpg
hb1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

This game had been on my short list for quite awhile and lucky that I found one that was close to me. Previous owner had "modernized" it with repro bumper caps and bodies as well as LEDs. I chose to replace most of the lights with incandescents and the repro covers with original marbelized caps, although a little toasty, they look more vintage and appropriate for the nicely aged playfield. (I do have a color changing LED behind the backglass which looks good). Not a big fan of repainted cabinets on woodies, but the owner said the cabinet definitely needed correction and he did a respectable job. Backglass is a repro and it has new plastics.

The play on this game is really quite fun...several ways to win games with Specials and one of the best features is that there are two rebound rubbers in the middle of the playfield that will reward Specials. This means you don't have to lose a ball down a gobble hole or outlane to win a game. Beautiful artwork, really neat art deco theme - looks like Parker's work is somewhat similar to Gauguin's Polynesian babe paintings... Mid 1950's Gottliebs are my favorite era.

Enclosing a little video. I'll share that I did tilt it plenty of times before getting a good recording. Like most early EMs, nudging is a fun (essential) part of the game. To be fair, the tilt is a little more lenient than others may have it, but I believe that if you don't tilt your machines once in awhile, you need to be playing more aggressively.

https://vimeo.com/129569584

hb1.jpghb1.jpg hb2.jpghb2.jpg hb3.jpghb3.jpg hb4.jpghb4.jpg hbfield.jpghbfield.jpg  caps.jpg caps.jpg hbfield2.jpghbfield2.jpg
#3 8 years ago

Beautiful game. I would love to have one of those. Doubt there is even one in NZ though!

#4 8 years ago

Looks a good player. Nearly bought one last year and it is on my short list for 2016.

#5 8 years ago

Nice addition to your already nice variety of vintage games, oldcarz. I would like to add a Hawaiian Beauty to my herd some day as well.

Congrats!

#6 8 years ago

Beautiful example and a tough one to find.

#7 8 years ago

21 games in like 14 months. Damn...All are titles that would take people the better part of 10-15 years to find, along with the condition you have them in. Congratulations.

#8 8 years ago

Really love the lower playfield on that one. Some EMs from that era are just begging you to drain when you're that close to the flippers, but it feels like you got a fighting chance with all those 'pop' bumpers down there. Also get a kick out of the ball looping around them. My Fan-Tas-Tic does that as well and it's a big "Oooh, ah!" moment when people see it.

Nudging is essential for sure on a game like that. If you're not nudging, you're not doing it right.

#9 8 years ago

Had this title and Spot Bowler in my shop earlier this year for repair.the gentleman who brought them over has had them for over 40 years and he wants to sell them.what should I offer him?

TedIMG_2095.JPGIMG_2095.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2091.JPG

#10 8 years ago

The one that got away...

(Also on my short list!)

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Mid 1950's Gottliebs are my favorite era.

That is a beautiful collection. Looks like they're in a museum.

Btw, I have the same sliders on my games!

#12 8 years ago

Nice addition oldcarz!

#13 8 years ago

Nice Indeed!!

#14 8 years ago

HB is a great game! A sleeper, as it looks like it's going to be a dog until you actually coin it up. Needs to be dialed in well though. Some great action between and below the flips. More often than not, you can work the ball back up into play. The special rebound is a great shot but needs practice.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

21 games in like 14 months. Damn...All are titles that would take people the better part of 10-15 years to find, along with the condition you have them in. Congratulations.

Dan, I have to publicly acknowledge that you are a wonderful "cyber" friend on Pinside to me, as well as others. You are always one of the first to compliment, share advice and provide humor to the forum. My appreciation to you and the others in this small community for the feedback.

Joel

#16 8 years ago

An absolute treasure your HB oldcarz in beautiful condition-the pf looks just so good. But your collection also appears one of great elegance-congrats

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Had this title and Spot Bowler in my shop earlier this year for repair.the gentleman who brought them over has had them for over 40 years and he wants to sell them.what should I offer him?
TedIMG_2095.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

Yow! If I were you, I wouldn't be able to sleep!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1954-gottlieb-hawaiian-beauty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.