4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

transformerDiagram (resized).jpg
    Schematic (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I recently acquired a 1953 United chief shuffle alley. Originally when I got it I was told it worked. Upon starting it up I realized that was not the case. Upon initial start up the scout motor was continually spinning and attempting to reset the machine to initial state. Through searching the sight I found that one of the leaf switches on the score motor would not connect. Once adjust the machine appears to set up to play.

I now have no response from the playing field at all. Thanks again to this site I was able to get a hi res photo of the wiring diagram. Through so investigator I decided to start at the beginning with trouble shooting. So I know it is said that the transformers don’t go bad but mine appears to not give the proper voltage Upon exiting the transformer. I have 120v on the input, but am not getting 30v or 6v at the other terminals. Could there be another cause other than the transformer being bad? On a multi meter I see like 1 to 1.5 volts ac on those terminals. I am very new to em machines so any help is appreciated

#2 4 years ago

Score motor not scout motor, sorry

#3 4 years ago

Bump. So I decided to remove the transformer to test while removed from the circuit. If I still can not get Voltage out of the 6v or 3v pins. I am really hoping someone can help. I attached a Diagram of the pins, can someone explain how to test? I also attached a clip of the electrical diagram, can someone explain what Voltage the Yellow wire on the output of the transformer would be? or if it is a neutral?

I tested it by putting Neutral wire to "Normal Voltage Line"and Hot Wire to purple tab. With this setup I have 0 Volts output.

Please help.

transformerDiagram (resized).jpgtransformerDiagram (resized).jpgSchematic (resized).jpgSchematic (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago

The purple and blue wires provide 115 volts AC (or VAC) to the input terminals of the transformer. You probably only need to use the Normal input tap. The Low input tap was more necessary in the 1950s when this game was made to allow for variability in supply voltage across the country. With 115 VAC pulsing through the primary winding (on the left side of the schematic) the transformer should generate 6 and 30 VAC at the outputs. In the game you should be able to measure 30VAC (or a little more) between the yellow and black wires shown in the schematic which is the supply for the solenoids, relay coils and motors. The 6 VAC for the lights would be between the yellow and whatever wire runs off to the light circuits (labeled J for jumper in the schematic). Note that the yellow wire is common to both the 30 VAC and 6 VAC circuits, but don't think of it as ground or neutral.

Before putting the transformer back in the game you might want to read up on how to make the game safer with a new line cord at:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

/Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1953-united-chief-shuffle-alley-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.