Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by willbeEM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BAD_3825_1 (resized).jpg
7A240BA1-8646-44AE-BDF9-CDD678009A70 (resized).jpeg
3D779EE4-4DC0-4F74-9B89-A3D413DF4E8A (resized).jpeg
C0502DCB-5981-4DFC-A607-AD48D2A2006F (resized).jpeg
BAD_3536_1 (resized).jpg
BAD_3317_1 (resized).jpg
BAD_3635_1 (resized).jpg
BAD_3741 (resized).JPG
BAD_3297 (resized).JPG
BAD_3740-1 (resized).jpg
BAD_3738 (resized).JPG
BAD_3256 (resized).JPG
BAD_3258 (resized).JPG
BAD_3244 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I've taken on the restoration of a really rough Gottlieb Quintette as my first woodrail and am trying to figure out a few things. I've never seen it work so I am guessing on how some of the features work.

The flippers use a long skinny return spring that is connected to a hole in the coil link to a hole in a bracket - Is this correct? If so when did Gottlieb start putting a lever arm and spring on the post? Other than the funky wood bits and the really bent switches, the main problem as to why the flipper most likely didn't work very well is in the picture with a yellow circle around it. The coil bracket is actually broken and until I started messing with it the break was completely invisible.

The non standard wooden bits keep the ball from escaping the out ball return chute. I guess the balls falling out.

The 5 inch bell, coil assembly is missing. Nothing left but a bracket and some wires. However there is a stiff metal wire ( coat hanger?) that is hooked into what I believe is a 100,000 point stepper mech, guided through the coil bracket and stops at the bell. Marks on the bell indicate ringing contact has been made! Say what? Has anyone ever seen a rig like this before?

#2 1 year ago

pictures...

BAD_3244 (resized).JPG

BAD_3258 (resized).JPG

BAD_3256 (resized).JPG

BAD_3738 (resized).JPG

BAD_3740-1 (resized).jpg

BAD_3297 (resized).JPG

BAD_3741 (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

Used to own a Quintette. Tough game with numerous goals!

Good luck!

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from willbeEM:

The flippers use a long skinny return spring that is connected to a hole in the coil link to a hole in a bracket - Is this correct?

Have a look at this picture at IPDB to see that the long skinny springs aren't factory.
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1896&picno=20534&zoom=1

#5 1 year ago

I think I see one peaking out under the flipper on the left not on the right though

#6 1 year ago

i heard you picked up a wood rail , gesh the guy didnt mention it when i went into that store to berate his CC hollywood. hows the pf and bg with that? that is odd the bell , is there a bracket for that stepper unit for a bell? usually steppers have 3 inch bells with a pivot arm. it looks like they combined the two? . i may have a coil bracket if that one is broken. i have a few gottliebs now mostly working if you want to do a visual , a minstrel man and skill pool and bowling champ.

#7 1 year ago

LOL that Hollywood, seems he sold it to a lady who was going to make it into a kitchen table... The backglass has some damage in the bottom and top areas. I've triple thicked it to minimize any future degradation's. The playfield is pretty rough. The entire image of the girl sitting on the pillow was completely missing like it had been purposely removed.
So far the cabinet has been repainted and I have been working on repainting the playfield I got carried away and painted the girl some other stuff before I clear coated the PF since this picture I've began the clear coat process to level the field and then will continue the painting, some large flat areas will be sprayed, fine detail areas by hand.

BAD_3635_1 (resized).jpg

BAD_3317_1 (resized).jpg

BAD_3536_1 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

thats remarkable work you are doing for the
"painted lady " . man youre acquiring a knack for bringing games back from the dead!

#9 1 year ago

I’m lucky to have one of those. Six ways to win! Let me know if you need any pics. This is an unrestored original. My oldest pin is my nicest pin!

C0502DCB-5981-4DFC-A607-AD48D2A2006F (resized).jpeg

3D779EE4-4DC0-4F74-9B89-A3D413DF4E8A (resized).jpeg

7A240BA1-8646-44AE-BDF9-CDD678009A70 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#10 1 year ago

Wow thats awesome. I bet once I get into the mechanical's I'll have lots of questions!
Here's what the playfield looks like today. Cleaned the heck out out of playfield and sanded out the four pop bumper circles cause they were really worn, sanded out the top bare wood and shooter lane, then lightly cleared the entire surface, sanded, cleaned and cleared again. The worn down areas around the pop bumpers got a thick layer of clear to fill the depressions ,Sanded, cleaned and now I'm going to paint the entire thing..by hand. I've decided to go this route mostly because it was such a wreck, and I like restoration painting. I really liked the idea of painting on the clearcoat. My colors are only close, as the original blue had turned green, whites are brown, yellows are mud. I've replaced the girl at the bottom (covered up for modesty as she is still getting dressed) and the red Balls played banner, The posing girl on the top (right side playfield) is starting to look pretty good. I'm thinking of doing the circle around the sitting girl and under the popbumpers metallic chrome, like a silverball

BAD_3825_1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 41.00
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside