Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by WTF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6503 (resized).JPG
    20180706_144319 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6500 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6499 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6498 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

6 player game was working, cleaned some switches and now the game will not advance players. It stays on player one. Can someone explain the sequence that it would go through to change to player 2. Is it in the score motor switches? First ball and second ball and scoring is working for player 1. I can manual switch it to player 2 and it works fine but after the second ball it switches back to player 1 instead of player 3 and stays on player 1 for the entire game. I have a schematic but have a difficult time trying to read it. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from WTF:

game was working, cleaned some switches and now the game will not advance players

Sorry but that was a mistake. This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve.
    What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

#3 5 years ago

There should be a Player Unit disk (or similar). Check that out for good contact and adj.

Can you scan and post some relevant parts of the schematic?

#4 5 years ago

I have a 1952 C.C. "Bowl-a-Ball" rebound ball bowler, but I never knew United
    produced a ball bowler as early as 1951. I wouldn't mind knowing the title of
    your machine..
    Anyways, like mentioned, you'll want to check the "Player-Step-Up" unit, along
    with the "Coin Unit". This is especially important for the "Player Reset" Relay to
    energize at the proper time..
    For the Player Step Up, my guess would be to check the switches in the "Player
    Reset" Relay, most likely a make-break switch. The switches in the "Score Control"
    Relay, and also the switches that run off the Score Motor's cam. Can't help on
    which one, but rechecking them all wouldn't be a bad idea..
    Before adjusting the switches, it's always a good idea to tighten' up the switch
    stack screws first..
    Any chance of sending a pic or two of your machine?

#5 5 years ago

Hello sepins

I see that you downvoted my post but didn't post anything yourself. Do you have any constructive or better advice for EM novices than I had?

HowardR

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1951-united-ball-bowler-player-up-#post-4478755

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Hello sepins
    I see that you downvoted my post but didn't post anything yourself. Do you have any constructive or better advice for EM novices than I had?
    howardr
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1951-united-ball-bowler-player-up-#post-4478755

Why beat the guy up for having issues.

Post some help if You're capable.

I'm not capable but You didn't help Him.

Mopar very nice of You to take the time to try and help!

Come on Hibler post some wisdom!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

I have a 1952 C.C. "Bowl-a-Ball" rebound ball bowler, but I never knew United
    produced a ball bowler as early as 1951. I wouldn't mind knowing the title of
    your machine..
    Anyways, like mentioned, you'll want to check the "Player-Step-Up" unit, along
    with the "Coin Unit". This is especially important for the "Player Reset" Relay to
    energize at the proper time..
    For the Player Step Up, my guess would be to check the switches in the "Player
    Reset" Relay, most likely a make-break switch. The switches in the "Score Control"
    Relay, and also the switches that run off the Score Motor's cam. Can't help on
    which one, but rechecking them all wouldn't be a bad idea..
    Before adjusting the switches, it's always a good idea to tighten' up the switch
    stack screws first..
    Any chance of sending a pic or two of your machine?

They Didn't. 1956 was the first year United made a ball bowler.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

1956 was the first year United made a ball bowler.

Yup, and I'm pretty darn sure that it's a Bowling Alley that is being dealt with here..

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

Why beat the guy up for having issues.
    Post some help if You're capable.

I hear that you interpret what I said as beating him up. I was actually trying to save him and others from causing even more problems than he already did. And I did post some help about how to think about working on his game.

If you don't find my posts helpful, no problem there. I have a way of working on EMs that works and many (maybe not all) here on pinside find helpful. So I'm not really planning to change what I do.

Bottom line for me is 'to each his own' and best of luck to you, sepins

#10 5 years ago

When I brought my United Bowling Alley back from the dead I used the TOP #8 dvd http://www.pinrepair.com/top/top8.htm it was a great source and a must have if you are taking on a bowler.

#11 5 years ago

Thank you for the information. I found the problem. I had pushed the fingers on the score motor on farther than it should have been and the fingers or collar was grounding against the mounting screws. Just for info I didn't go crazy adjusting things I'm a little smarter than that. I have the DVD 8. My problem is trying to understand the schematic and following the sequence of actions.

It is a 1951 league Bowler 16' long that I have completely restored will be for sale as soon as it is working 100%. Beautiful game, all new pins, new backglass, new balls, new shin rubber, all new bulbs, stripped and repainted original colors and graphics, stained and clear coated satin, new pin deck cover. I did stain it a little darker than original but I think it looks better. Restored it as a hobby to occupy my mind not for the money. Daughter is going through some major medical issues.
    Again Thanks for the input

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

I would say this is always sound advice.

WTF-congrats on finding the problem! Here is some good reading about schematics: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

#13 5 years ago

Sorry its a 1959 united league bowler. I was born in 1951

#14 5 years ago

WTF If you can post some pics! I would love to see it as I am sure others would also, and good job on finding the issue!

#15 5 years ago

Here a few pictures of the game. The gutters were painted yellow and someone had painted the wood blue instead of the green. I'm looking for the before pictures.

20180706_144319 (resized).jpg20180706_144319 (resized).jpgIMG_6498 (resized).JPGIMG_6498 (resized).JPGIMG_6499 (resized).JPGIMG_6499 (resized).JPGIMG_6500 (resized).JPGIMG_6500 (resized).JPGIMG_6503 (resized).JPGIMG_6503 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1951-united-ball-bowler-player-up-?hl=hd_fatboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.