m8 (resized).jpg
m7 (resized).jpg
m6 (resized).jpg
m5 (resized).jpg
m4 (resized).jpg
m3 (resized).JPG
m2 (resized).jpg
m1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why didn't GTB make more?

From memory they may or may not have sent a few test games to operators, they then asked operators how many they wanted to order in advance of production.

They then made that number. Didn't matter from there on if game was a good earner or nor, they didn't then make more. They were already onto the next title. And they made a new title virtually every month to keep the production line rolling.

My recollection:
The manufacturers distributed sample games of more than 1 title at a time. Once results were received and numbers were compiled, that was it. Production size was determined, then, on to the next title, (with its samples already shipped and located).

My take is:
The distributor, NOT the manufacturer, gauged each game's earning potential early on, by compiling numbers from their most dedicated operating customers, then committed to purchasing a certain amount from Gottlieb. Unfortunately the operator's production game earnings were entirely dependent upon his proper display of the game on location. Inflating the replay scores, too much playfield slope, etc, makes any game a dud. It was the operator's careful game-dialing-in technique that made all the difference, and maybe during the installation, they didn't get it right.

In collecting for a while now, I've noticed the most desirable titles never to have been only about game play, but artwork, history, sentiment, etc. while the manufacturer focused strictly on game play and earnings. In unison to Mermaid's 600 unit production, I can't recall any collector actually rave about it's game play, which makes sense to me. Another example could be Bally Paragon. Beautiful Game, very desirable and featured in many collections, with guys raving about shooting the inline drop targets, etc, but I operated it new out-of-the-box, and it was an absolute dud! In fact, all widebodies at the time were poor earners, (except Space Invaders and Middle Earth), for me, even after making all the adjustments. I thought they yielded too much dead-ball time at the bottom half of the larger playfield, making for a rather dull experience. Only when ramps came along did widebody games make more sense, IMO.

Gottlieb DID, in fact, re-run a few titles, (identical playfields), primarily to satisfy overwhelming customer sales. '52 "Quartette" and "4 Stars," '54 "Dragonette" and "4 Belles," '59 "Queen of Diamonds" and "World Beauties" to name a few. This further justifies to me the desire attachment to Mermaid to be collector induced and not as a result of commercial popularity.

I also think there was probably a wide margin of error in gauging production of any certain game due to the rate of new title availability. With a new game every month, I can only imagine how swamped the administration teams had to be. I don't think operators cared to keep up with each and every game as they became available, they probably just bought what was available when needed.

I actually think collectors got wrapped up in the hype a Mermaid received after a few "Deep Pockets" went toe-to-toe on it in an Ebay auction. If not, does it mean that a '51 Gottlieb Glamour, with a mere 300 units produced will fetch a bigger amount? I played that one and can tell you, the game play isn't any better or worse! How about 4 Belles? Only 400 produced, and I've heard more than 1 guy, including Clay, (I think), stating they liked the artwork on this game better than the original Dragonette.

#20 6 years ago

oldcarz,

Didn't mean to sound like the ol' jealous guy in the thread, just answering with my opinion on why this game is such a late-bloomer on the want lists of woodrail collectors.

Very tasty collection!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1951-gottlieb-mermaid?tu=Boatcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.