• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

ive recently acquired a 1950 gottlieb "select a card".....no manuals appear to be available and my flipper coils are all burnt up. anyone have any tricks for identifying ancient coils-turned crispy critters?

ironically, the flippers actually still work, but theyre basically fart-powered at this point and need replaced badly.

im not sure if maybe someone can tell me what might have gone into a similar wood rail pin from gottlieb in the era? maybe?

any help or suggestions are absolutely welcome and appreciated. thanks everyone!!

Brian

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Foose:

anyone have any tricks for identifying ancient coils-turned crispy critters?

They're on the schematic.

#3 3 years ago

Minstrel Man (Feb 51) and KC Jones (Nov 49) both use A-1546 coils.

But coils don't usually weaken. Are you sure your EOS switches are clean and working properly? They should be closed except when the flipper is at the top of its swing. If they open too early or don't make a solid electrical connection the coil could seem (and really would be) weak.

Check that the flipper button switches are clean too while you're at it.

/Mark

#4 3 years ago

i have no schematic, so looking at the schematic is not possible.

EOS switches are definitely misadjusted, but im telling you these things are acting like theyve dropped half the winds in both coils in each flipper. ill fiddle around a bit more, maybe take some resistances across the coil to see if theyre at least close.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Minstrel Man (Feb 51) and KC Jones (Nov 49) both use A-1546 coils.

That is the coil Gottlieb was using at the time. It was replaced/superceeded by A-5141 which is commonly available. The A-5141 can also be obtained in stronger strengths: yellow dot and orange dot versions.

You can buy the schematic from Pinball Resource.

http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

Back in the days when your machine was made, Gottlieb *embossed* the coil number into the fiber bobbin near the coil terminals (either on the front or rear, I don't remember). Get a small flashlight and look on both sides of the coil terminals and you should see the numbers. Sometimes you need to unbolt the coil to see the numbers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1950-gottlieb-select-a-card-coil-identification and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.