So much going on... lots to update!
So, first, I 'fessed up to putting the big handprint on the lockbar. Ava was not pleased.
I sanded it out again, then we tried staining it one more time. It turned out pretty badly, actually. So once it was finished, Ava knew right away - sand it again, Dad. *sigh*
So I sanded it once more (Ava didn't help because she thought it was too cold outside - she was right). This time Ava carefully wiped excess stain away immediately with a lint-free shop towel.
It turned out much, much better. At this point, we let the stain dry for a while.
I let Ava know that she had some mail! A friend sent over some Score/Instruction cards for Turf King! Ava was very excited to receive this package, and had a lot of fun going through it to find the best examples as well as the correct ones for the game as we have it set up.
I saw Thomas was creepily looking on in the background, and Sophie removed him between pictures.
Next, while still waiting, I wanted to teach Ava how to pull apart the lock tumblers/pins, so I brought her over to the machine (glass uninstalled), where I had had the mishap a few nights prior.
I explain to her the process of what needs to be done, she pics up the lock, turns it upside down, and this happens:
I've pulled apart lots of locks to make them 'keyless', and this has never happened to me. I couldn't stop laughing. Ava didn't understand.
At this point, Ava shellac'ed the lockbar. Single coat, looks beautiful. Glossy, but not too glossy. She may put another coat on tonight.
Sophie wanted to help. I taught her how to polish metal, and she went to town on the lock surround that sits on the front door.
Other than that, Ava has been showing everyone that walks through our door the game, and shows them how to play and win. It's pretty cool to watch her school people on playing the machine, especially when they have trouble making a winner and she proceeds to win 48 replays or so.