49 days ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by tnbugman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

goldball6 (resized).jpg
    goldball5 (resized).jpg
    goldball4 (resized).jpg
    goldball3 (resized).jpg
    goldball2 (resized).jpg
    goldball1 (resized).jpg

#1 49 days ago

After 2 years of restoration, my 1947 Chicago Coin Gold ball is nearly finished. Everything is working (I think) except that it will not register a credit when i initially slide in the coin slide. Otherwise the initial boot up is fine, and normal play is possible when I manually put on a credit. I can't seem to figure out this last problem, so seeking advice from you experts. Of course, no schematic is available for this vintage machine.
    If I manually score high enough for free plays, they are added just fine -- so I know that the credit solenoid and stepper are fine.
    This machine has had the clockwork switch removed and bypassed.
    The coin slide mechanism is very elaborate on this machine, Rube Goldberg to say the least. There is one stacked leaf switch and one "slide-over, lift closed back" leaf switch that I would suspect would be the ones to register the credit, but they all seem fine, cleaned and aligned. See the pictures below.
    It even "magically" (thanks to magnets on L-shaped pivot switches) "knows" to score double on the "gold ball", which is non-ferrous.
    Would love to finish off this beast, install the glass, add it to the collection and move on ...
    Anybody got any ideas for why I don't get that initial credit registered upon sliding in the nickel?

Thanks,
    tnbugman

goldball1 (resized).jpggoldball2 (resized).jpggoldball3 (resized).jpggoldball4 (resized).jpg
    #2 49 days ago

top over/under switch with red wafers resets credit counter to zero.
    Lower multiple leaf switch resets thousands counter to zero, among other things.

Another strange thing is that there is no way to remove a SINGLE credit with this credit stepper. It can ADD single credits, and it can remove ALL credits, but it CANNOT remove JUST ONE credit. There IS a knock-off switch under the bottom of the cabinet.

Jones jumper is on the right, which I believe is REPLAY, I think left is NORMAL.

Ugh. Any ideas?

goldball5 (resized).jpggoldball6 (resized).jpg
    #3 45 days ago

Hmm, not a lot of action on this one, feels like I am talking to myself. Anyway, I did realize that the credit stepper has a pawl, which is visible in the picture above just under the bell, which had been swung up vertically. freeing the pivot and swinging that pawl down to the left engages the credit gear and only allows a single credit to be removed.
    So now the credit stepper can add a single credit or subtract a single credit.

But still no credit is awarded on initial boot. Any ideas? Thanks, tnbugman

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 999.00
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 19.00
    $ 32.00
    $ 63.50
    $ 89.99
    $ 199.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside