6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by paintpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1947 Ballyhoo schematic (resized).jpg
    1946bally5 (resized).jpg
    1946bally6 (resized).jpg
    1946bally4 (resized).jpg
    1946bally1 (resized).jpg
    1946bally3 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Can anyone tell me what this, what it's for and what it's missing?
    Also, how can I find out what coil I need to replace this burnt up one?
    ...And one more question...Where might I find service/tech info on this era of Bally machines?
    Thanks

1946bally3 (resized).jpg1946bally3 (resized).jpg

1946bally1 (resized).jpg1946bally1 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

The one with the arrow is a "timer" I believe. I'm not sure what Bally called it but I'm pretty sure that after so long it would make the game go dead so the next person could drop a coin in it. I'm sure someone here can explain it better then I can.

John

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The one with the arrow is a "timer" I believe. I'm not sure what Bally called it but I'm pretty sure that after so long it would make the game go dead so the next person could drop a coin in it. I'm sure someone here can explain it better then I can.
    John

Do you see the round rusty looking bell like thingy in the pic?
    I know that is a timer because when the little lever on the side of it is pushed/pulled down I can here it "ticking" and the lever slowly moves back to it original position....I'm wondering now if someone didn't put that in the place of the part I am asking about?

Edit: but they both have wires going to them

#4 6 years ago

Total guess here, just from the pictures.

Looks like the solenoid mech in the top pic is missing a screw and has rotated on the remaining screw. Is there another screw hole under the mech.
    Is that a rod/peg on the metal plate by the tail of your arrow ?
    Could the hole in the arm of the solenoid fit over that peg if it is one ?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Moonbus:

Total guess here, just from the pictures.
    Looks like the solenoid mech in the top pic is missing a screw and has rotated on the remaining screw. Is there another screw hole under the mech.
    Is that a rod/peg on the metal plate by the tail of your arrow ?
    Could the hole in the arm of the solenoid fit over that peg if it is one ?

You are right. it did rotate and it does look like it goes on that pin/peg. and I was wrong about it having wires going to it.
    and no, there is not another screw hole in the wood, and it doesn't line up like I think it should.
    the mech appears to be some sort tensioner/plunger/shock absorber?????
    something is not right about this, and how it is mounted on the board?

1946bally4 (resized).jpg1946bally4 (resized).jpg

1946bally6 (resized).jpg1946bally6 (resized).jpg

1946bally5 (resized).jpg1946bally5 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

I could be wrong, but it looks like a Hydraulic timer?

It pulls(pushes) out with a coin/reset, and the spring by the bell slowly pulls the bar back, as the
    resistance from this slows it down as a timer.

I think its purpose was to act as a switch for Dry cell batteries to turn on lights, or other, and then slowly
    push back to turn off power and ring bell?

Maybe???

#7 6 years ago

No idea what Bally's official name for the thing was but let's call it the "delay valve". If you open it up, you will find a piston wearing a leather cup. A couple drops of 3-In-1 oil will make the cup nice and soft and slippery. Put it back together and notice that now there is some resistance to moving the plunger back and forth. It takes a second or two for the air to hiss out past that adjuster screw that I wouldn't mess with.
    It is probably there to 'slow down' the under playfield part of the start cycle to allow for steppers to reset.

Service info: Here's a pic of a schematic to 1947 Ballyhoo - it's about all there is.

1947 Ballyhoo schematic (resized).jpg1947 Ballyhoo schematic (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

It's called a Dashpot or dashpot timer.

It's application here or purpose is usually to slow the return of the playfield shutter (the wood slide plate that allows balls in trap holes to drop down). This also allows certain reset functions to finish. It was one of those "standard" pieces of hardware in that era so they often exist even on games without the shutter wood.

As was already stated, the bell shaped wind up is the electrical timer to disconnect power (either dry cell or AC). Hopefully, long after the player has shot all their balls.

#9 6 years ago

I have a bunch of parts for that era Bally. You can contact here on pinside or at www.preservationpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1946-bally-flipperless-what-is-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.