5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I've recently acquired a Chicago Coin 1947 Kilroy machine. It's a flipperless game, not a bingo. Its basic pop-bumper and kick-out hole scoring. I can't get any of the scoring lights on the backglass to light. The overall backglass bulb lights up, but that's on a separate 120VAC circuit. Most of the pop-bumpers react in that they pull in a relay and the kick-out holes react as well, but the two middle pop-bumpers and roll-overs don't do anything. Nothing registers any scoring lights. Does anyone have any ideas? Tried searching for a "tilt" relay that may be tripped, but to no avail. I've manually manipulated all the relays, I've cleaned all the contacts and nothing is visibly not making contact. Does anyone have any schematics they would be willing to share or even sell. Even if its a different Chicago Coin flipperless from that era. I've searched high and low and haven't been able to find anything schematic related. Even Steve Young doesn't have any schematics on these.
    TIA
    Dave

#2 5 years ago

I have a 1947 Bally Rocket flipperless that had a similar lighting issue. Ended up being one of the 2 fuses.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, yeah its definitely not a fuse, mine has 3 and all are good. I did find a broken solder point on one of the relay switch blades last night, which solved my middle pop bumper and roll over problem, so now those are reacting. I still however am not seeing the scores register on the backglass. The step-up cams are moving, the points are making contact, just no lights to show a score. I'll occasionally get an 80,000 or 100,000 display now, but there is a whole left side of number showing 1000, 2000, 3000... that I assume should light when the pop-bumpers are hit, but they are not.

#4 5 years ago

Did you try cleaning the jones plugs. I can't tell you how many times doing that has cleared up lighting problems on a game for me in the past. Now I just automatically do it as part of my process when going through a game.

#5 5 years ago

Yes I have, I've gone through the whole machine (not that much to go through) and cleaned everything. Nevertheless, It certainly wont hurt to do it again, anything is worth a try. Such a simple game and its eating my lunch! There are just so many brittle wires, I have to believe its something just not making contact properly and a Jones plug and/or bad solder joint on a plug would definitely be a culprit. I fear its the latter, just wish I had a road map.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Did you try cleaning the jones plugs. I can't tell you how many times doing that has cleared up lighting problems on a game for me in the past. Now I just automatically do it as part of my process when going through a game.

This is defiantly what I'd look at as well. Also make sure all wires going in and out of the male/female parts of the plugs and holders are all in.
    The fact that you indicated that the stepper works, does indicate the power is there, but just not connecting in the lighting circuit.
    Also look at the stepper 'fingers' and make sure they are all making good contact on the copper traces on the stepper unit itself.

#7 5 years ago

Good call on the stepper fingers. Also I know you checked the fuses but also check the fuse holders.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys, yes, I've checked the fuses, checked the fuses, and just to be thorough, checked the continuity across the fuses (lol). I've also cleaned the stepper fingers and checked the connections to the steppers. There's only two stepper units. I'm gonna go through everything again and again.

#9 4 years ago

Just a follow-up, turns out I had 20+ bad bulbs in a backglass that only has a total of about 24 bulbs, go figure.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from bwave_dave:

Just a follow-up, turns out I had 20+ bad bulbs in a backglass that only has a total of about 24 bulbs, go figure.

I've seen that...I think sometimes the right short can blow every bulb in the lite box...I tore my hair out trying to figure that out once - kicker was I did something to cause it, since I'd replaced all the bulbs already...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1940-s-flipperless-game-schematics?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.