HB-DM40 (resized).jpg
IMG_3088 (resized).jpg
IMG_3087 (resized).jpg
IMG_1986 (resized).jpg
IMG_1985 (resized).jpg
IMG_1978 (resized).jpg
IMG_1975 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I was asked to post some pictures of my restoration of this Jadite Green mixer. Parts are available online, but the entire unit should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned before use.
The pictures show the disassembly of the head and three motors, motor units rebuilt, switch units rebuilt, and final pics.

These were used for many years and never taken apart and cleaned. So expect some work if considering buying one.

HB-DM40 (resized).jpgHB-DM40 (resized).jpgIMG_1807 (resized).jpgIMG_1807 (resized).jpgIMG_1809 (resized).jpgIMG_1809 (resized).jpgIMG_1810 (resized).jpgIMG_1810 (resized).jpgIMG_1812 (resized).jpgIMG_1812 (resized).jpgIMG_1813 (resized).jpgIMG_1813 (resized).jpgIMG_1947 (resized).jpgIMG_1947 (resized).jpgIMG_1963 (resized).jpgIMG_1963 (resized).jpgIMG_1975 (resized).jpgIMG_1975 (resized).jpgIMG_1978 (resized).jpgIMG_1978 (resized).jpgIMG_1985 (resized).jpgIMG_1985 (resized).jpgIMG_1986 (resized).jpgIMG_1986 (resized).jpgIMG_3087 (resized).jpgIMG_3087 (resized).jpgIMG_3088 (resized).jpgIMG_3088 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Thanks for posting. Looks awesome. (There must be vintage appliance nerds that rival pinball collectors. )

Any links to sources for parts?

#3 3 years ago

We have a black single head version that a buddy went through for me. It's cool but that triple head in green really makes a statement. It's like a piece of functional art on your countertop.

#4 3 years ago

https://www.maltmixerman.com

and http://www.strykersrestoration.com for the bearing installation on the motors. (They need to be pressed on)

and Ebay user drnj44 for parts as well.

I dealt with all of them and had very positive results.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

We have a black single head version that a buddy went through for me. It's cool but that triple head in green really makes a statement. It's like a piece of functional art on your countertop.

Thanks, I love soda fountain related items.

#6 3 years ago

Beautiful job ! Thank you for sharing, especially what you started with.

LTG : )

#7 3 years ago

I agree. Wouldn't have ever expected seeing that here, and if I saw it in that condition you started with probably would be tempted to write it off as kaputz. Fine work!

#8 3 years ago

I bought mine working. They are great.

20201029_094334 (resized).jpg20201029_094334 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Just like pinball, another thing I never knew I needed, but now I do.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Nothing like a homemade thick frappe. I also bought malt powder that gives it unique flavor. We never had that here in the Northeast, so I purchased some from the "Malt Mixer Man".

Here's a quick video of it operating. One coffee frappe coming up. https://flic.kr/p/2k1vhBq

#11 3 years ago

My father-in-law gave me one of these. Funny, I thought I don’t have any need for this one (already have a single head version) and put it in the basement. This thread made me look it up and dang these things are expensive! Mine will probably be going up for sale. Thank you for opening my eyes!

684AB78D-1E80-46F3-85BB-0CEF2D797D54 (resized).jpeg684AB78D-1E80-46F3-85BB-0CEF2D797D54 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

The porcelain looks to be in good condition.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

This thread made me look it up and dang these things are expensive! Mine will probably be going up for sale. Thank you for opening my eyes!

Damn, i wish I saw your post yesterday. I just paid a fair amount for one.

It's in great cosmetic condition with no chipping, but the center motor is out. The other two side spindles work.

Thanks Playdium for sharing info about these things, and where to order parts.

$_1 (resized).jpeg$_1 (resized).jpeg
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

but the center motor is out.

Meaning it's missing, or not working?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

The center motor is not missing, just not working. I plan to take it apart and check for any bad wiring or worn parts. I don't have it yet, but was told the other two spindles work.

It is very clean cosmetically so hopefully that is an indication of the internal mechs too. As long as parts are available, it shouldn't be hard to revamp.

I wanted to avoid one with exterior chipping or rust damage.

#16 3 years ago

The center motors are most likely worn out on these as it was the first choice while in use. However, most likely the brushes are just worn down and a general overhaul would remedy that problem.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

The center motors are most likely worn out on these as it was the first choice while in use. However, most likely the brushes are just worn down and a general overhaul would remedy that problem.

The instructions from maltmixerman are great.

I already ordered a new set of brushes for each motor. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I'm planning to remove the condenser, and clean the innards before using it.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Damn, i wish I saw your post yesterday. I just paid a fair amount for one.
It's in great cosmetic condition with no chipping, but the center motor is out. The other two side spindles work.
Thanks Playdium for sharing info about these things, and where to order parts.[quoted image]

Man, I wish you would have seen it sooner as well! This has inspired me to test mine out and it is fully working. Let me know if you want to talk!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

@Playdium, what tool did you use to remove the bearings from the armature?

Can you provide a link and/or pics of what you recommend for removing and installing the bearings?

This detail is missing from the references.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Playdium, what tool did you use to remove the bearings from the armature?
Can you provide a link and/or pics of what you recommend for removing and installing the bearings?
This detail is missing from the references.

Bearing replacement done by Strykers. There are some great how to videos on youtube relating to the breakdown of the spindle.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I agree. Didn't even know these existed. Great job @playdium!

#22 3 years ago

I'm currently in the middle of cleaning up my mixer.

I replaced the bearings to the center motor as that was the reason it wasn't turning. I also replaced the brushes although only one was completely worn away. The other was almost like new. Odd.

The other two motors work fine but I'm gonna replace the bearings and brushes anyway. It'll be a lot faster now that I know how to do it.

Harbor Freight had a bearing removal kit which did the job.

Here are pics of the bearing tool kit I used. Also a pic of the worn out magnetic brush. This motor is clean and ready to reinstall.

20201113_112154 (resized).jpg20201113_112154 (resized).jpg20201114_203411 (resized).jpg20201114_203411 (resized).jpg20201114_203450 (resized).jpg20201114_203450 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The other two motors work fine but I'm gonna replace the bearings and brushes anyway. It'll be a lot faster now that I know how to do it.

That is a smart move. I'm sure you will never have to do it again in a HUO environment.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I also replaced the brushes although only one was completely worn away. The other was almost like new. Odd.

That is odd, glad the link helped you out. He also sells malt powder which gives your frappe/malt a great taste.

#25 3 years ago

Okay, started disassembling and cleaning the 3rd (final) motor.

Not sure how clean they kept the fountain where this machine was used commercially, but I discovered the mummified remains of a cockroach.

I didn't think it was possible to kill these things. Glad I'm going through every inch of this thing before I attempt to use it.

20201116_132126 (resized).jpg20201116_132126 (resized).jpg
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Okay, started disassembling and cleaning the 3rd (final) motor.
Not sure how clean they kept the fountain where this machine was used commercially, but I discovered the mummified remains of a cockroach.
I didn't think it was possible to kill these things. Glad I'm going through every inch of this thing before I attempt to use it.
[quoted image]

That's EXACTLY why people should break these down before using. While in use, they would only wipe down the spindle. The splash over up inside the head is where it all collected.

#27 3 years ago

Nice Godard

1 week later
#28 3 years ago

I've only made a couple of shakes with my machine so far (all three spindles work perfectly now and the machine is amazingly quiet.)

The shakes were good, but did not seem all that different in consistency from using a blender. The real benefit was the ease of prep and clean up. Blenders can't compete.

What's the best way to make consistently thick, creamy milkshakes? I'd like mine to be as good as the burger joints.

The obvious case is too much milk makes it too thin, (and don't use non fat or 2%.)

Too much mixing makes it too thin. (But mixing also provides volume, so which is it? )

I know adding a banana helps keep it thick but I'm looking for banana free options.

I've read adding xanthan gum powder is the trick but it is an artificial ingredient commonly used in food. The benefit is it doesn't add calories or alter flavor. The negative is it can have the same effect as Metamucil for some people with high fiber diets.

I'm also considering substituting milk with half and half (or maybe heavy cream)? Problem here is calories go through the roof.

If the trick involves just the perfect balance and order of milk, ice cream, blend time and speed, I'd love to hear your secret recipe.

I know this is ridiculous overkill because we're just talking about a stupid milkshake. I get that. But I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on making the perfect thick creamy shake.
20201124_141316 (resized).jpg20201124_141316 (resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

I only fill milk to the bottom mark, then add 2 good scoops if ice cream. Sometimes I'll hold the cup at a slight angle while mixing to get all of the ice cream blended. As it's blending, add more ice cream for thicker frappe or more milk to thin it out. A little flavored syrup will improve the taste, but not needed.
Then put a little hot tap water in the cup and run it in the mixer to clean the spindle.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I only fill milk to the bottom mark, then add 2 good scoops if ice cream. Sometimes I'll hold the cup at a slight angle while mixing to get all of the ice cream blended. As it's blending, add more ice cream for thicker frappe or more milk to thin it out. A little flavored syrup will improve the taste, but not needed.
Then put a little hot tap water in the cup and run it in the mixer to clean the spindle.

Thanks. Good advice.

I've always put the ice cream first. I'll try milk first using that lower mark. This should help with consistency.

I think I'll also let the ice cream get a little softer before scooping it in.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I know this is ridiculous overkill because we're just talking about a stupid milkshake. I get that. But I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on making the perfect thick creamy shake.

No. Not ridiculous at all. Milkshakes are very important!!! I need a mixer now like you cool guys have!

1 week later
#32 3 years ago

I've done a little experimentation to create the perfect shake. I think I nailed it.

The trick for me was replacing milk with half and half. I used three medium scoops of rich vanilla ice cream, and I measured 3 oz of half and half in a measuring cup.

I added about a tablespoon (maybe a bit over) of chocolate syrup. I also added about 4 frozen strawberries from a bag of fresh frozen. It was exactly what I was trying to achieve. My favorite shake flavor is a chocolate/ strawberry combo.

The consistency was thick, cold, creamy and even throughout. Thick but still able to suck through a straw without gravity draining it back out. No clumpiness at all, which kept happening with just ice cream and milk.

Not positive if it would still have been as perfectly creamy without the strawberries, but I think substituting the milk with Half and Half was the key.

2 months later
#33 3 years ago

I think it was mentioned before but I finally decided to try it with malt powder.

I've had plenty of malts before, but this stuff really elevates the flavor to the next level.

I've continued working on the perfect thickness, and don't think half and half vs milk is as important.

I believe best results occur with almost all ice cream, and extremely little milk. Also best to soften the ice cream a bit [10 seconds in the microwave) before scooping. Softer ice cream is key. Adding more milk to compensate for blending hard ice cream will wreck it. Really important to use softer ice cream, not more milk.

After adding all ingredients, I hold the filled cup and circularly "hand mix" with the unpowered spindle to pre-blend (thick and mushy consistency) before powering the spindle. My mistake before was the ice cream was too hard and didn't mix evenly.

It's the perfect consistency when you pour it, if you have to shake it a bit before gravity allows it to flow into the glass. And then spoon out the last remainder that's sticks to the bottom of the tin cup.

And using this malt powder really takes it over the top.

20210225_141239 (resized).jpg20210225_141239 (resized).jpg

#34 3 years ago

Love me some malt powder.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1940-s-1960-s-hamilton-beach-triple-head-milkshake-mixer?hl=jamesmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.