IMG_8983 (resized).jpg
special-lightbulbs-1-5 (resized).JPG
special wiper (resized).JPG
special lights 6-10 (resized).JPG
special lights 1-5 (resized).JPG
special backglass 6-10 (resized).JPG
rules (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

While glancing at my '40 Triumph today, InstructionsInstructionsI happened to notice the Special section of the instructions and realized that a free game could be won if hitting the post number highlighted in the diamonds of the backglass.Backglass diamonds 6-10Backglass diamonds 6-10 I have noticed before, even though the backglass is screened to display numbers 1-5 in the diamonds on it's left side, there are no bulbs behind those numbers and it certainly looks as if no bulb sockets were ever installed. Missing sockets for 1-5Missing sockets for 1-5The two backbox photos on IPDB confirm my suspicion. Oddly, the harness has 10 wires but only the 6-10 numbers have been soldered on the jones plug Jones plugJones plug6-10 sockets6-10 sockets and only 6-10 are soldered on the step-up wiper.6-10 on Wiper6-10 on Wiper You can see the other 5 wires taped in a bundle.
I'm still struggling to figure out why 3 of the 15 numbers won't light up on the playfield but the hit registers. Those same 3 numbers won't light on the backglass either. I also see that i am the only one registering this game on Pinside and only one other owner lists the game at the Pinball Owners site.
Surprisingly, the game is noted in McKeown's Pinball Portfolio(1976). McKeowns Triump[h photoMcKeowns Triump[h photo
I just keep chipping away...

#2 3 years ago

Interesting, do you think they forgot to complete the game when they sold it? The jones plug would make sense, but the lack of 5 sockets and the wiring for those including the ones to the stepper seem so strange. I guess throw in a couple sockets and wires and the game should work as expected.......

The guy assembling it maybe had the runs, went home early......?

#3 3 years ago

If I didn't have the other backboxes on IPDB to compare, I would have thought it was just my pin. Since the other main jones plug was chopped, I assumed that maybe someone tried to fix this machine over the past 80 yrs and just didn't bother to complete 1-5 but when i saw those other backboxes and the fact that the wires were not even added to the stepper, I thought it odd; wish I had the story. The traces on the stepper don't even exist although the "traces" for 6-10 are just a jump wire.
Maybe having a potential free credit on 1-10 just made it too easy so they decided to better the odds for the House.
Many of the middle posts on the playfield have tap holes drilled for "pins" that I think of as "liberal" and "conservative" options. Putting four pins around a post at the 2,4,8, and 10 o'clock positions would make the post almost impossible to hit.

pin_positions (resized).jpgpin_positions (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Interesting, It may just be a way to reduce costs and keep the winning credit range in the most obvious and expected range. But it certainly would be nice to at least have the lights in the head working.....

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmoore66:

While glancing at my '40 Triumph today,

Thanks for pointing out the missing sockets. As a result of your post, I have noted our two insert images and added a Note to our Model 1 listing where all of our pictures have been placed until we may learn how to discern a Model 1 photo from a Model 2 photo. I have also added in IPSND.net a Game Trait for both Models to allow people who post their serial numbers there to indicate if their insert's sockets are missing or not. Of course, it will take a while to see results from Game Traits especially on a game that few people have, but at least we got it started.

Well, at least I hope there are serial numbers somewhere on Triumph, dunno. Other Bally games from 1940 have serial numbers registered on IPSND.net but they are few, and are old and pictureless submissions where their SerialBot Score is low, so you don't know if they're a real serial number or some random number that someone scribbled inside the game.

Do you find a serial number on your game? If not on the cabinet, then maybe along the upper ball arch or upper trim or elsewhere? I can make note in our two listings of where to look for it. If you find one, please feel free to be the first one to add your game's number to IPSND.net.

Here's our two listings, identifying the primary operational difference between the two Models (the number of buy-backs):

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2656,6251

We learned of this difference way after our images were received and we don't know if there is a way to visibly discern the two Models by merely looking at the outside of the game, so I don't know which of our pictures are Model 1 or are Model 2. For all I know, heck maybe only Model 2 (the 'Dime-Limit' Triumph) got shorted the 5 sockets.

Can you discern the maximum number of buy-backs in your game, to know which Model it is? And maybe a picture showing where inside the game you discerned this?

If I ask nicely would you be able at some point to send us hi-res images of your game and then I will KNOW which Model they are when I place them on the IPDB. Our existing images are all low-res and many were photographed outdoors when the sun was casting nice shadows.

As you can see, once I get going I start to get greedy with my requests though I am appreciative of any help you can provide.

Thank you,

Jay
IPDB

#6 3 years ago

Hi Pmoore66,

Was it you who submitted two images today to our Model 1 listing? (No email address was included with the submission but the photo credit looks like your username here.)

If so, you stated your game had 5 buy-backs and as your proof you gave us a picture of an unlabeled jones plug.

How does an unlabeled jones plug show you/us that your game is 5 buy-backs and not 2-buy-backs? I think I'm missing some information here.

I do see only five wires attached to this unlabeled plug.

Please bear with me to ask these questions, to help me be most confident to our users who can be newbies.

1) Can you state for me that you have played your game and have received 5 buy-backs?

2) If you unplug the plug from this jack, does it render the buy-back feature inoperative?

3) With the plug in place, I can't see the jack itself. Does the jack have a second row (of unwired connections) to allow the operator to store the plug when buy-backs are disabled?

3) Is there a specific mechanism wired to this jones connection that does the actual work of counting buy-backs? Is that unit labeled?

4) BTW, does the solder on this plug look factory/professional to you? I can't see it close-up but from a distance it makes me wonder. I suppose it is, but I wonder what you see up close.

Thanks,

Jay

#7 3 years ago

Jay:
I did submit those two pics. I didn’t see this message prior and thought I overlooked that info yesterday on your site. I just got the Special working Sunday and still cannot get the under playfield bonus unit coil to respond; zero ohms.
With regard to the buyback, I also hadn’t noticed the additional pdf doc that notes the buyback Jones plug adjustment. Mine has five wires and is currently in the 5 ball position. I’ll take more pics tomorrow.
Aside from the chopped backbox harness which I quickly attached to a donor Jones for testing, the rest of the machine is intact and I’d be happy to supply decent hi res imagery.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1940-bally-triumph?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.