8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by oldcarz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f7.jpg
    f6.jpg
    f5.jpg
    f4.jpg
    f3.jpg
    f2.jpg
    f1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I came across an interesting game that had been in storage for many years. Not knowing at all if it even worked, I took a chance on getting it since the machine was in extremely nice original condition and appeared to be “all there” from a quick look over.

A huge shout out to Russ Snyder who helped me with the electro mechanicals. No schematic is available (even from PBR) for prewar machines and it was a learning process to figure out what stepped what, etc. One stepper was totally frozen, and it did take some effort to free it up and then understand the flow. Many cold solder breaks that needed attention, but it did light up, the animations spun and the scoring worked.

The cabinet and playfield detailing/cosmetics were my job. Fortunately, everything cleaned up nicely and all the original marbleized plastics were present that shined right back up again.

The cabinet "changed" color after 75 years of grime were removed. A few rounds of cleaner and it went from a greenish/blue color to a sky blue color.

Very interesting design to the cabinet. Apparently machines of this era were distributed on longer (33”) legs. A few months ago, I had set up the ’48 Barnacle Bill on the original legs and thought it was too high and eventually switched to 31” legs to match the others in my collection. I did this, too for the Fleet.

The backdoor has no lock and has to be removed by putting your hand into a side access panel to unlatch a mechanism that is similar to a window sash lock. Once that is done, the back panel slides downward so you can get into the box. Replacing light bulbs will be a chore because the art glass does not slide in and out like more modern games. The various components in the back box will have to be removed, and then the glass can come out. So far, so good. All the screw in bulbs that came with the machine still work and the art glass has minute flaking, so I’m leaving well enough alone for now.

Judging by the condition, I am certain it had low plays. I don’t see a serial number; at least it’s not in same place as the one pictured in the IPDB. On my machine, there is a “C” engraved on the wood near the score card. Wondering if that’s a sample or prototype?

Game play is actually quite fun for a flipperless machine. Each time a red bumper is hit it scores points and lights a potentially higher score reward if the ball goes over a rollover at the bottom of the playfield. If the special is lit, it awards the score and one of the side cannons “fires” a captive ball as a cute effect.

Each time the ball hits a blue bumper it lights a potential number of replays available and that carries over from ball to ball through the game. It’s possible that 10 blue bumper hits will light up to 10 possible replays.

To get the replays, however, is a different matter. In the center of the playfield is a rotating arrangement of 3 cannons that spins throughout the game. To get the replay, the ball has to hit one of the cannons directly on the muzzle where there is a small switch. Truly a lucky shot to get it and it doesn’t happen that often. But it’s easy to see how one can get hooked to keep trying since the blue bumpers do get hit and award potentials are commonly lit.

Here's a brief video: https://vimeo.com/139816327

Joel

f1.jpgf1.jpg

f2.jpgf2.jpg

f3.jpgf3.jpg

f4.jpgf4.jpg

f5.jpgf5.jpg

f6.jpgf6.jpg

f7.jpgf7.jpg

3 months later
    #8 8 years ago

Yes.... it appears that the large cannon of the earlier versions is used twice, one on each side, in the 1940 example. A captive ball is "fired" when a special rollover is activated.

Thanks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1940-bally-fleet-1?tu=oldcarz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.