283184374_1518022011946462_5255971268403904983_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
4B0EB284-47A6-404D-9292-9E4EDB82E8C3 (resized).jpeg
62306241-1507-4143-98B7-156F268D11F1 (resized).jpeg
24D790D5-C17A-457A-82CD-11E3A50ECD78 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2472 (resized).JPG
tiltflag (resized).jpg
DF600F32-2E2A-41FA-BA2A-64671C215941 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 1 year ago

My World's Series has the tilt mechanism but is missing the tilt flag. I fashioned one out of thin stainless based on images and videos at @markg's World's Series restoration site (thanks Mark!) and it works as it should (will add a decal with "TILTED" and "***" on it soon as I'm not going to try stamping them), but does anyone have a spare of this part? I already checked with Nate and he doesn't.

Thanks for any leads!
tiltflag (resized).jpgtiltflag (resized).jpg

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Can you share any details about the process here or in its own topic? Do you have a pattern? Were any special tools or techniques required?

Nothing too complicated. I estimated size from measurements of the tilt mechanism. I then made a rough pattern with an index card (see below) and then made a rough cut out of the stainless (0.018" thick) to see how it'd work. I didn't include the side extension on one of the legs on the rough cut (but it is definitely is needed as the arm on the tilt mechanism pushes the flag back into place with this extension). Then I made the final one out of the same material with a little more attention to detail. The thickness looks much less than the original piece and I am not sure how well it will hold up over time (likely won't last 89 more years!) but it was a sheet I had on hand and was easy to cut and bend.

For the rough cut, I used tools on hand: shears to cut it out, a nail punch for making holes, and a vise to bend. For the final one I used a dremel with cut-off wheels to cut it out, a drill to make the holes, the same vise, and a file for smoothing edges.

IMG_2472 (resized).JPGIMG_2472 (resized).JPG
#87 1 year ago

Could someone who has a complete tilt mechanism snap a couple of pictures of the two positions of the tilt flag (where it says "TILTED" and where it says "***") from directly overhead and then post them here? I'll use them to create a decal to put on my make-shift tilt flag. Thanks!

#90 1 year ago

Excellent--thanks @bjmclrn!

#92 1 year ago

I noticed some variation in the logo on the front of the cabinet of World's Series. Which one does your machine have? The following are the repro decal from Nate at buckwerx.com, one from ipdb, and possibly another variant (or it may just be a less faded version of the one from ipdb):
buckwerx (resized).jpgbuckwerx (resized).jpg
ipdb (resized).jpgipdb (resized).jpg
IMG_2486 (resized).jpgIMG_2486 (resized).jpg

#94 1 year ago

Printed and placed decals on the make-shift tilt flag (based on images from @bjmclrn). Here's a poorly staged video of how it looks during tilt and reset:

IMG_2496_3b.gifIMG_2496_3b.gif
1 week later
#95 1 year ago

New member of the club! I purchased it recently from someone who had it in the family for quite some time and remembers playing it as a boy in the early 60s. It's my first pre-war machine but it fits well with woodrails from the 50s (and I was surprised to find that it's about the same height as newer pinballs!).

IMG_2518 (resized).jpgIMG_2518 (resized).jpg

The machine took a fair bit of tinkering to get it up and running as it should and cleaning to get it looking a bit better than it did when I got it. The major mechanical work included installing a new star wheel (old one was cracking and so warped that it prevented the field disc from turning), leveling the field disc, and getting ball drops to consistently trigger the turning of the field disc. Info here and from @Nate's buckwerx site (http://rockola.buckwerx.com) and @MarkG's fun with pinball site describing World's Series (https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/Worlds-Series) helped tremendously. Nate also helped walk me through ball drop issues (misalignment of the wire rail appeared to be the major culprit for the inconsistency). A lot of parts needed a bit of elbow grease to remove oxidation and generally clean up. Otherwise, the machine was missing the instruction sticker, marquee, lockdown bar, upper part of shooter guard, and door, but got these plus a few other items from Nate at buckwerx (thanks Nate!). As discussed above, I also fashioned a tilt flag out of thin stainless and some stickers to ensure no one tries to cheat the house.

Now I just need to install the playfield screws and glass and it'll be ready to start earning its keep!

IMG_2519 (resized).jpgIMG_2519 (resized).jpg

By the way, is there ever a time when a ball exits via the lower left gate? It seems that the only chance for this is if a ball jumps over the left rail when balls are being ejected from the field disc, but so far I haven't seen this happen. Or was the lower left set up like the lower right just for the sake of symmetry?

1 month later
#99 1 year ago

Good game this morning! Scored 14 runs but one of the “runs” balls fell down the error hole on a triple (though the number of skill points is the same (100) for any score of 12 or more runs). This too was the first time I’ve ran out of balls without getting three outs (although did come close on the previous game).

B4749270-0D1E-4233-8A2D-1D166A9046CB (resized).jpegB4749270-0D1E-4233-8A2D-1D166A9046CB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1934-rock-ola-world-series-club?tu=tfduda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.