6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BackFlipper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pinball112212_008.JPG
    Rockola_Trifecta.jpeg

#1 6 years ago

It was just on. I recorded the show so ill put a clip up for those that are interested. Chances are it was sold to Tim if he didn't have one

<-- Not the clip but the machine

#2 6 years ago

I have one of these in my collection as well, never tried to play it though.....to afraid of breaking it but a great conversation piece.

Did you get this game from Jeff ?

Very cool Video and great restoration, thanks for sharing.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#3 6 years ago

looks fantastic. Great job. Actually looks like it would a lot of fun for awhile. Great game to play at someones house.

#4 6 years ago

I've never seen one of these play before. Very neat for the era it was made. And totally understandable as to why they are as desirable and command the prices they do.

Mike O.

#5 6 years ago

I recommend The Pinball Collector dvd to anyone who is interested in seeing a lot of old games like this being played. This game is included in the dvd, and it's cool as hell. I had no idea games of that era were so innovative.

#6 6 years ago

I think that time is showing us that it was/is easier to be more innovative when inventions like pinball were just in their infancy. As time goes on, it's a lot harder to try something new. Cost restraints due to ROI tend to control innovation now. Maybe with collectors buying more new games each year, innovation or thinking outside the box will be again released. I hope so anyway, I'd like to see pinball take another step forward.

Quoted from RawleyD:

I had no idea games of that era were so innovative.

#7 6 years ago

ANOTHER great example of "a great game that was a great game THEN remains a great game NOW". It is a mantra I am often repeating particularly in my posts regarding EM games - but this one goes back even further.

Certainly I love the modern DMD games with upgraded technology BUT....

so many of the older games are a great joy to see and play.

Thanks for sharing, PennSkier

#8 6 years ago

Love the fact that the ball makes a giant loop around the entire playfield.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Love the fact that the ball makes a giant loop around the entire playfield.

yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I would love to see that idea make a comeback on a newer game. they did a really nice job on the restoration too!

thanks for posting this. I would have never seen it on pawn stars (aka the world's worst setups for a reality tv show)

#10 6 years ago

I would love to see that idea make a comeback on a newer game.

Nascar

#11 6 years ago

The three Rockola games from the early thirties are all mechanical marvels. Jigsaw, World Series and Army/Navy are some of the premier games from that era. Their baseball game from 1937 World Series is one of the most sought after baseball games ever. I still have Jigsaw and World Series in my collection and they get played by visitors all the time.

Kitch

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I would love to see that idea make a comeback on a newer game.

An "adaptation" of this exists on Qbert's Quest - though the "big looping" effect comes not from the launch - but from the lower set of reversed flippers.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1885&picno=1809&zoom=1

Also the looping ramp on Hurricane has a similar big looping layout - elevated above the flippers..

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1257&picno=7193

#13 6 years ago

What is the value of a restored unit? I saw the guy last night get $1,000 for one that needed work, but I assume that was hardly top dollar at a pawn shop.

#14 6 years ago

I've played Jigsaw and World Series. Played several games of Jigsaw at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas last year. They really are mechanical marvels. Jigsaw is as much of a 'must play' game at PHOF as Pinball Circus is.

#16 6 years ago

Cool game
    I've seen that guys vids before - real good stuff

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

What is the value of a restored unit? I saw the guy last night get $1,000 for one that needed work, but I assume that was hardly top dollar at a pawn shop.

Around $2500 imho

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

Around $2500 imho

Thanks! It is cool, but with that much pin money I would definitely look for something at least a half a century or so newer.

#19 6 years ago

Jigsaw, World's Series and Army Navy are awesome mechanical marvels..... Way ahead of their time. Guests see and play my Worlds Series and are amazed. I would love to find a Jigsaw!

#20 6 years ago

I have been a Rockola fan for several years and have managed to accumulate the "Trifecta" (World's Series, Jigsaw and Army Navy) plus a few more. They are great games--we have them set up our atrium where they get a lot of attention and play by family and visitors. Of the three, the Jigsaw is my favorite. A few months ago I worked with Robin to post Pinside information on the three games.

Three years ago we bought a micro business (www.buckwerx.com) that makes restoration and repair parts for the Rockola series--hopefully to keep them viable for another 80 years!

Over the last 3-4 years I have been working on an estimate of how many games are still in existence--I think there are probably 200 Jigsaws, 500-700 World Series and less than 20 Army Navy's (I actually only know of 14). I believe a lot of these machines were consumed for scrap during World War II.

$1,000 for a Jigsaw is a pretty good price. I've seen nicely restored games for for $2,500. Fully functional World Series games go for $1,500. Army Navy's have gotten crazy--recently one was sold for as much as $14,000 as part of a Trifecta bundle.

They are a lot of fun--great collectors items. They appeal to a wide audience, I think the prices will continue to rise at least at the rate of inflation.

Rockola_Trifecta.jpeg

#21 6 years ago

Damn, that's a nice Army Navy.
    Here's my World's Series

pinball112212_008.JPG

#22 6 years ago

I obtained only the brown-top Army-Navy playfield, the front door and the ball shooter assembly. The cabinet was carefully reproduced from solid maple including the side milling. I'm living proof that when you get the Rockola fever it's nearly incurable.

Your WS is quite nice looking. Repainted?

Nate

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nate:

I obtained only the brown-top Army-Navy playfield, the front door and the ball shooter assembly. The cabinet was carefully reproduced from solid maple including the side milling. I'm living proof that when you get the Rockola fever it's nearly incurable.
    Your WS is quite nice looking. Repainted?
    Nate

Nate,
    Yes I repainted it during the restore years ago. Also had to make the legs.
    Doug

#24 6 years ago

BTW,
    I'm keeping my eye out for a Jigsaw.

#25 6 years ago

I see the Jigsaws show up for sale on Ebay in England more than in the US. Generally they are hard to find--I have a friend who looked for more than two years (making several unsuccessful offers) before finding one offered via auction. In the end he got a great game.

#26 6 years ago

PPM has a jigsaw and play ball, however, they are display only. If you show historical interest to the guy who runs PPM, though...

#27 6 years ago

Anyone here looking to sell any of the trifecta of games. I am a buyer if you are ever are ready. Going to coin op show in April with the sole purpose off finding one. A jigsaw was sold at auction last year - $1500 and it was a decent restoration. I have been casually looking for about ten months. Would look great in my pub area.
    Jim
    Jim@ezlocal.com if u know something

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.99
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 22.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside