Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1930_Pinball_(resized).jpg
    1_(resized).jpg
    2_(resized).jpg
    3_(resized).jpg
    2016Jan21_024_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan21_022_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan21_021_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan21_017_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan21_008_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

In Minneapolis in the 1930's a guy who owned a cab company purchased these three games and put them in the break area for the cabbies to use (the cabbies may have chipped in some too, at least by spending their money to play them). About 20 years ago, the owner was downsizing and sold these three games to another gentleman, and today I bought them from him, making me the third owner.

The Whizz-Bang is a Model C, and the Baffle Ball is the counter model.

The Hi-Skor isn't pictured in IPDB (yet!), so this might be the first time anyone's seen one for quite a long time.

I guess I'm back to collecting 1930's games now, having doubled my collection of them in one go.

2016Jan21_008_(resized).JPG2016Jan21_008_(resized).JPG

2016Jan21_017_(resized).JPG2016Jan21_017_(resized).JPG

2016Jan21_021_(resized).JPG2016Jan21_021_(resized).JPG

2016Jan21_022_(resized).JPG2016Jan21_022_(resized).JPG

2016Jan21_024_(resized).JPG2016Jan21_024_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

Very nice! Good for you
    I've been looking for a donor baffle ball as all the bits are the same as used on my '32 king pin too

#4 8 years ago

These machines look great! Glad they found a good home.

#5 8 years ago

Very cool. I'm looking to add an early 30's pin to my collection at some point.

#6 8 years ago

Nice find ! and great to know the history.

#7 8 years ago

Very cool DF. Go back any further and you'll be a 'flapper' and not a 'flipper'.

#8 8 years ago

Very nice. I, too, like some of the early table top games. They are fun and I like using some old Indian Head pennies with them...

Interesting...your Baffle Ball looks very similar to the 1932 Pace(?) Lucky Strike. Although the sticker says "The Vending Machine Company"

I noticed that several companies made similar machines. My Five Jack's was made by Rockola, other's by Fields...The Steeplechase, too, had several variations.

Good luck with yours!

3_(resized).jpg3_(resized).jpg

2_(resized).jpg2_(resized).jpg

1_(resized).jpg1_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

Nice pick up's! Entertainment 1930's style

#10 8 years ago

Very nice Baffle Ball example! And that Whizz-Bang looks like a devilish layout.

#11 8 years ago

Man, I would love to have been able to go into a 1930's pinball arcade. A time when gentlemen dressed up to play pinball. A far cry from the 70's and 80's arcades!

1930_Pinball_(resized).jpg1930_Pinball_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

Put some sweet toppers and LED'S in those and they will be perfect!!!

#13 8 years ago

Very Nice!
    At TPF this year ill be hosting a PreWar booth and we will have 7 playable games on display.

Come on down and bring yours!

--Jeff

#14 8 years ago

Those all look to be in great shape. Congratulations!

#15 8 years ago

I like the WHIZZ-BANG the best, it has awesome patina. Too bad the top of the wood frame is gone?
    So will there be any videos of these?

#16 8 years ago

Yes...videos please.

#17 8 years ago

Nice find, Dirt!

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Man, I would love to have been able to go into a 1930's pinball arcade. A time when gentlemen dressed up to play pinball. A far cry from the 70's and 80's arcades!

I've always loved that picture, you can just imagine what was going on. So there's like 30 or 40 machines in there, and they were all basically gambling on them, the one i've got from the early 30's has a bunch of lights that light up on the back, if you win, there's a little window to show that the last nickel you put in was real instead of a slug... so I guess if you won, you'd have to go over to the guy running the joint and have him walk back over and check your machine... on mine the lights turn themselves off after about 10 seconds, and if you press the coin mech back in, and press the ball load it makes the lights come back on. I guess you'd have to make sure one of those other well-dressed jerks didn't steal your free game before you got back, lol.

It must have been such a different world back then, before computers and cellphones and even television.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

This a great picture - thanks for sharing it. The game in the lower left is a Rockola Jig-Saw, and then there are two pairs of games I've not ID'd yet, but I'd guess are 1935-ish vintage. The rest lack detail to ID.

The guys in the middle who are standing in between the games seem to be monitoring the games/gameplay, and I'd guess are tallying scores and validating them. There may have been awards for high play.

Pinball in the 1930s was a big deal. Jig-Saw alone had around 70,000 made. And the number of manufacturers was staggering. It was like the smartphone 'app' of the era.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Very Nice!
    At TPF this year ill be hosting a PreWar booth and we will have 7 playable games on display.
    Come on down and bring yours!
    --Jeff

You'll have to dress the part, hat and all then. And show up in a gangster car.

(I'll set up a booth here in spirit.)

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from ullsokken:

I like the WHIZZ-BANG the best, it has awesome patina. Too bad the top of the wood frame is gone?
    So will there be any videos of these?

Thanks - the premium condition and patina on these was the major draw. It is difficult to find games from this early period that are complete and unmolested, and these even have what appear to be the original balls with them still. That top lockdown bar on Whizz-Bang is the only piece missing among them, as far as I can tell. But I can get a replacement fabricated, and it will blend in.

Gottlieb made three models of Whizz-Bang concurrently (A, B, and C), with this being model C. Model B is the wildest one, graphically.

#22 8 years ago

Well,children,in my young world,computers,cell phones,and just BW tv to watch,was the time!!Cell phones came into existence,cause people are so f,,,,d up!Computers are mostly for hackers,and now you buy a new tv every 5 years! You have to protect your atm cards in a special wallet,or some ass...e will scan it through your jeans,cars drive themselves cause so many humans from other places that have never had a car,now own two,but no CLUE how to drive,let alone speak our language!! The future??More very stupid people!!!

#23 8 years ago

You forgot to say "...and get off my lawn!".

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I've always loved that picture, you can just imagine what was going on. So there's like 30 or 40 machines in there, and they were all basically gambling on them,

Some pins had a gambling component to them in the 30's but most were just for amusement purposes. The fact that this place is so crowded and obviously had an entrance to the street (see the light from the sun in the background) makes me think that this was really just an arcade, not a gambling hall.

#25 8 years ago

Thread makes me miss my Bally Bumper...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1932-time-capsules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.