3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zukboy2002
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_1633_(resized).jpg
    046_(resized).JPG
    044_(resized).JPG
    043_(resized).JPG
    045_(resized).JPG
    042_(resized).JPG
    034_(resized).JPG
    036_(resized).JPG
    041_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Finally got this one cleaned up and back together. It's considered a 'counter top' model, but I think that's really pushing it.

Pretty neat game overall, and Keeney made a big deal about bringing the balls back up to 'playing level' ("the only CORRECT way", or so they claimed).

You have to pull the coin slide out in order to place the nickel in the slide, then push it all the way in to reset the playfield. The balls drop through to a gathering spot underneath. Then you have to pull the coin slide out again, and a little elevator mechanism raises the balls to a trough that feeds the shooter, then you let the coin slide back in. (The coin slide is attached to a large spring, which keeps the slide pulled in.)

To remove the playfield, you have to remove this two wedge-shaped shim blocks underneath each side of the playfield. The playfield then lowers, and can be pulled out through the back of the cabinet. The plunger is attached to the playfield, so come out with it.

10 balls for a nickel, and if you get a ball in its corresponding colored cup, that counts double. There are five different colors, so two balls per color. I'm pretty sure they used colored glass marbles originally, and so that's what I used. I went with cat's eyes, to give it some extra bling, in keeping with the spirit of the game. They're a 3/4", which I'm convinced is the correct size. (3/4" is considered a standard 'shooter' marble, and would have been readily available in 1932.)

I did add a small spring to the plunger on the outside of the cabinet. Originally these didn't have one (they hadn't figured that out yet in early 1932), so the plunger just whacks the casting without it. I didn't want to risk the knob cracking, and the sound it makes without it horrible, so it's one mod I did make. It plunges so much better with it.

Anyway, this was the game I found a neat Buffalo nickel hidden away in, and the game is now ready to take more nickels.

041_(resized).JPG

036_(resized).JPG

034_(resized).JPG

042_(resized).JPG

045_(resized).JPG

043_(resized).JPG

044_(resized).JPG

046_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

She looks fantastic. I believe I had turned up something along the way that pointed to the balls being colored ceramic. Mine has some crazy legs on it. This game gets played a bunch at my house.

Beautiful game sir!

#3 3 years ago

Nice!!! I have one also, I've been waiting for someone else to pop up with one I'll post pics tomorrow. What value would you put on one in good condition? I haven't found anything about value anywhere

#4 3 years ago

Here's mine. First order was to take the legs off, until I played it. It wiggles and shakes
    4 years later still on

IMG_1633_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Cool - we can start the '32 Keeney Rainbo club.

I note yours is the "7 Balls for 1 cent" model. It doesn't have the two lower "Free Play" holes like the 10 balls/nickel version mine is.

Also, it looks like yours might be missing the small rebound steel flap on the left side of the arch (sits over the 'R'). This can be seen in the trade ad (and on mine, if you zoom in). My original was broken in two and rusted, so I replaced it. It's just a piece of spring steel stock, but that proved to be the biggest challenge to source. I ended up using 0.008" feeler gauge stock, which matches the original nearly perfectly. It allows the ball to hit the rebound and bounce back up.

There should also be a spring steel strip that bends over the top of the shooter lane, to prevent the balls from going back into the lane once they've been launched into the playfield.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Nice!!! I have one also, I've been waiting for someone else to pop up with one I'll post pics tomorrow. What value would you put on one in good condition? I haven't found anything about value anywhere

Would love to see pictures of additional examples of the game!

There's a pretty wide range of values on the early 30's games, based on condition, theme, artwork, size, how ornate it is, interesting features, and so on. This particular title I'd imagine would fall in the 250-750 range, if it's a good to better example. But so much depends on condition, completeness, and how original it remains. There's not a lot of market data to compare to, so a lot just boils down to whether someone likes it as a piece of kinetic artwork.

#7 3 years ago

Here's a few pics. I built the table from scratch. I need 1 more coat of a dark stain and it shoul match pretty good. 10 balls 5 cents

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#8 3 years ago

Oh an I will be doing that shooter rod spring mod.

#9 3 years ago

Very cool! I see that yours also doesn't have the extra two Free Play holes that mine has. I figured that was maybe a difference between the 7 balls/1 cent version and the 10 balls/5 cent version, but maybe they just added the extra two holes later in production, or removed them later in production.

Nice job on the stand too. Looks period correct.

#10 3 years ago

I'd like to see how this hobby expanded from here!!Very nice work,fellas!! What came next,manual flippers,or are they still to be added yet!!Peace

#11 3 years ago

No flippers yet that didn't happen for another 35 years.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Typo? It was more like 15.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1254

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zukboy2002:

The 1932 Double Shuffle had Pure Mechanical Flippers. The first game with Electro-Mechanical flippers was 1947 Humpty Dumpty.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I'd like to see how this hobby expanded from here!!Very nice work,fellas!! What came next,manual flippers,or are they still to be added yet!!Peace

There were manual flipper games but they didn't really catch on.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5294

I played one of these and the craftsmanship of the flipper parts was surprisingly good, and very smooth.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

What came next,manual flippers,or are they still to be added yet

The next addition to the game of Pinball was the Back Box, followed closely by the addition of electricity.
    Pure Mechanical (PM) became Electro-Mechanical (EM).

#16 3 years ago

Yup my bad 15 damn phones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 64.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,000.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside