You

Linked Games

• Whiffle Automatic Industries, 1931

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whiffle2 (resized).jpg
whiffle (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

So, I've seen two main different versions of the Automatic Industries Whiffle released in 1931.

One has "Champion" on the front, the other DOES NOT. (side note, i can't see in the pics provided where it says automatic industries either)

I guess, does anyone have history on these two and can tell me:

1- Which one was released first (and when they were each released)

2- The current market value (give or take) of each (trying to figure out which is more valuable).

I was planning on buying the pinball history book but I don't have right this second. A friend is checking out a 1931 Automatic Industries "Champion" pinball, and wants to know if I would like it. The buyer is asking $1000 and it needs a total refinish outside and I believe all the pins in the board are missing. He's checking the internals.

I haven't seen them priced that high in that shape, so I'm trying to make a reasonable offer...

I have this very weird obsession of owning the FIRST of each thing I collect (video game systems, etc) and had made a bet with my boyfriend that I wouldn't find the First pinball machine created... so this would be a bucket list checkoff Just not for 1000

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is the one that's considered "the first one" or not, and the value, thus, being worth me picking up 8hr drive

(side note, i know a bit about the history.)
Whiffle by Automatic Industries was said to be the first one ever created, though created at the same time as Whoopee. Pre-war, coin op, has plunger. No flippers.

whiffle (resized).pngwhiffle (resized).png

whiffle2 (resized).jpgwhiffle2 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I like 1930's games, but the earliest games hold little appeal for me. The best period games have a clever mechanism (rock-o-la's), some visual flash, or stunning designs (Deco, Modern), or bring new features (lights, sound, action). Whiffle just doesn't do it for me.

Hard to say where a collector will go on pricing, we all have our preferences, but to me a Whiffle in anything other than amazing condition is a couple hundred bucks or so. Had and sold a Mills Official long ago, with the same rather blah look as a Whiffle.

#3 6 years ago

I was thinking about making an offer for about a hundred or so depending on what's going on mechanically, but didn't want to insult. I'm glad at least i'm not the only one who had that value in mind based on condition. If it was mint and not a project, then It'd be a different story, but I plan this to be basically something to look good in the room and not something i'm going to enjoy playing... I agree, there really is no allure as far as game-play for me either, but I have to have that first in my collection. Don't necessarily have to have any others of that era, but the first!!

I thought i saw somewhere on here, someone has that pinball history book. I might have to look and see if I can find who that was and send a PM! I would want to know if it was the first one before buying.

It's like the ping-o-tronic and Magnavox odyssey in video games, I will probably never play them, and I probably won't get many of the other systems of their era, but I have to have the firsts! lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1931-automatic-industries-whiffle-champion?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.