(Topic ID: 95383)

$19,000 budget to start a pinball collection. What should I buy?

By CodyR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06663.JPG
    DSC06669.JPG
    DSC06661.JPG
    2012-04-23 18.03.58.jpg
    photo(3).JPG
    DSC_1577.JPG
    410.jpg
    370.jpg
    220.jpg
    160.jpg
    30a.jpg
    05.jpg
    h and b poster.jpg
    family-guy-park-1.png
    Cody 1976.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider codyr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have room for 5 pinball machines in my game room. The only pin I have purchased so far is an AC/DC premium (from Trent). I have a budget of $19,000 left and was looking for some help selecting some good collectible machines. What would be some good collectible / fun playing machines?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and tips. I hate being the new guy, but I have to start somewhere. I figured you guys would be the best place to get some real true honest answers.

Cody 1976.JPGCody 1976.JPG

#6 9 years ago

Sorry I wasn't more specific TigerLaw. I should have gave you more information to go on. Love Car themes and Rock n Roll. Sports are cool too. I'm leaning toward the modern / newer machines, but really can not tell you why? I have all most no playing time on a TZ, but was thinking I liked the theme and the challenge.

Thanks for the help!

#42 9 years ago

Unbelievable how much great and friendly advice I'm getting. You guys rock! I'll stick around and gather more information while playing as many machines as I can. Buy 1 machine at a time and enjoy seems to be a common suggestion.

I like the thought of buying new machines as condition is very important to me. The pins I really want to spend some time playing are TZ, Junk Yard, Metallica, and Family Guy as those themes interest me.

#44 9 years ago

Any good shows in the Northwest?

#89 9 years ago

Superb suggestions and great advice guys! Thank you for all the help and the warm welcome. I'll be heading down to Ground Kontrol and trying out as many games as possible.

#123 9 years ago

Went to Ground Kontrol right when they opened today and had a blast playing the pins. Didn't get to play them all, but played the ones I was interested in a bunch (based on themes). Really liked the Junk Yard but maybe because it was pretty easy. The one I liked that surprised me was the Simpsons Pinball Party. It too was pretty easy, but having grown up watching the show it was easy to like for me. I really liked the way WoZ played too, but don't care for the theme so it's off my list.

Pins are very addicting. I originally budgeted space for 5 pinball machines, but now I'm thinking I might change the layout and leave room for a bunch more pinball machines. Over the last 2 years I have been building a 3 story tall 5,000 sf man cave. Since I built it all myself on weekends and after work I have saved a ton of money and now I'm getting ready to fill it with some fun games. Originally set side about 1,000 SF for arcade games, pinballs, pool table, air hockey and an area for music equipment, but now I'm thinking I want more pinball machines and might leave a few arcade games out of the mix. Thanks for all the tips and help.

I'll most likely be adding a few more to my want list over time and end up with more than 5 in the long run. No hurry, but if you have a HUO or CQ Junk Yard, Simpson, or TZ in the Pacific Northwest Please keep me in mind when you sell it.

Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your honest opinion about the pins. Your time is much appreciated. Here's some photos of the my man cave I built (just finished the gym area and now it's time to fill the game room)05.jpg05.jpg30a.jpg30a.jpg160.jpg160.jpg220.jpg220.jpg370.jpg370.jpg410.jpg410.jpgDSC_1577.JPGDSC_1577.JPG

#125 9 years ago

lol, Happy wife = happy life. Gym was part of the deal for her "letting" me build my dream game room.

Quoted from centerflank:

Holy shitballs! That is awesome!!!! Just get rid of the work out equipment right away, total wasted space as a pinballer.

3 months later
    #149 9 years ago

It's been so much fun finding and playing different machines. This site and many people on here have been a huge help. Over the last few months I've added TZ, JY, AC/DC Premium and just today bought a HUO NBA Fastbreak. I'll post photos soon once the game room is complete with all the games in their place. I did have to make room for more machines! It's addicting!

Again, you guys have been fantastic with the honest advice and help. I love the games I because I did what many people said and took some time to play different games first and found the ones I liked, not just ones that ranked high or were expensive.

Quoted from ullsokken:

So Cody... its been some months since your last post.
    Guess you have bought some games by now.
    Any gameroom photos we could see?

#155 9 years ago

That's exactly what I did. I took the map Karmalord posted http://pinballmap.com/portland and then searched the games commonly suggested and went out and played. From small little Pizza joints with 1 pin to Ground Control that had a dozen or more, I played a lot of pins. Getting out and playing and talking to people really helped. I have a few more pins I want to play and try too, but the many suggestions helped get me started and I'm very thankful for everyone's tips.

Quoted from RoselandPete:

I don't understand why you need other persons' opinions as to what to buy. I've been collecting pins, comic books, and old cars for decades. In each category, I buy what I like, regardless of what anybody else thinks. I'm not collecting those things to please others.
    If you're new to the hobby, then you first might want to gain as much exposure as possible to what is out there by playing as many games as possible and then deciding for yourself as to what makes you happy. What one person might consider to be a great game might be a beast to you and vice versa.

6 months later
    #164 8 years ago

10 months ago I came here looking for help building a small collections of games for my new game room. Totally newbie that knew nothing other then I liked playing pinball when I was a kid. Well, I could not have found a better site or better advice. Honest, straight forward help that really gave me the foundation to build a fun game room with awesome pinballs that I really enjoy playing.

My brother came over and played about 10 hours over 2 days last week and now he's thinking of getting a pin for his house. He's been on here doing all kinds of searches trying to find a game he wants. We're going to visit Ground Control in Portland and test out some other machines before he decides what he's going to buy. Again, this site has been a huge help and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that took the time to post their opinions. You guys and this site were more help then you'll ever know.

If there's any interest from Portland / Vancouver, WA members maybe we can have a get together at my place one night.

Thanks again everyone.

DSC06661.JPGDSC06661.JPGDSC06663.JPGDSC06663.JPGDSC06669.JPGDSC06669.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider codyr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/19000-budget-to-start-a-pinball-collection-what-should-i-buy?tu=codyr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.