(Topic ID: 95383)

$19,000 budget to start a pinball collection. What should I buy?

By CodyR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06663.JPG
    DSC06669.JPG
    DSC06661.JPG
    2012-04-23 18.03.58.jpg
    photo(3).JPG
    DSC_1577.JPG
    410.jpg
    370.jpg
    220.jpg
    160.jpg
    30a.jpg
    05.jpg
    h and b poster.jpg
    family-guy-park-1.png
    Cody 1976.JPG
    There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 9 years ago

Head on over to the Seattle Pinball museum. Don't they have like 30 machines you can play??

#152 9 years ago

PERSONALLY :
    HUO WOZ: $6000
    Addams Family: $4500
    TSPP or Family Guy: $4500
    RFM or CFTBL: $2800
    Stargate or Black Rose: $2050
    Pinball lift from harbor freight: $150

#153 9 years ago

The best selling game of all time is Addams Family, it's hard to argue that shouldn't be one of your 5. I also personally like the visual appeal and humor or TOTAN and CFTBL. Finally, I'd want a game with really deep ruleset and challenge - TZ seems to have this. If you find more room, however, having something light-hearted like White Water would round it out nicely. As you can tell, I'm a fan of B/W but I really enjoyed Family Guy the last time I played it. Best of luck, thanks for letting us all fantasize about having $20k to spend on pins for a minute..

#154 9 years ago

I don't understand why you need other persons' opinions as to what to buy. I've been collecting pins, comic books, and old cars for decades. In each category, I buy what I like, regardless of what anybody else thinks. I'm not collecting those things to please others.

If you're new to the hobby, then you first might want to gain as much exposure as possible to what is out there by playing as many games as possible and then deciding for yourself as to what makes you happy. What one person might consider to be a great game might be a beast to you and vice versa.

#155 9 years ago

That's exactly what I did. I took the map Karmalord posted http://pinballmap.com/portland and then searched the games commonly suggested and went out and played. From small little Pizza joints with 1 pin to Ground Control that had a dozen or more, I played a lot of pins. Getting out and playing and talking to people really helped. I have a few more pins I want to play and try too, but the many suggestions helped get me started and I'm very thankful for everyone's tips.

Quoted from RoselandPete:

I don't understand why you need other persons' opinions as to what to buy. I've been collecting pins, comic books, and old cars for decades. In each category, I buy what I like, regardless of what anybody else thinks. I'm not collecting those things to please others.
    If you're new to the hobby, then you first might want to gain as much exposure as possible to what is out there by playing as many games as possible and then deciding for yourself as to what makes you happy. What one person might consider to be a great game might be a beast to you and vice versa.

#156 9 years ago

Pretty sweet collection!
    Hit me up if you ever want to get together for some pinball, we're pretty close

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Pretty sweet collection!

Cody you need TBL!

#158 9 years ago

I think any balanced collection should have at least one great classic like an Embryon in it!

#159 9 years ago
    Quoted from CodyR:

The pins I really want to spend some time playing are TZ, Junk Yard, Metallica, and Family Guy as those themes interest me.

You might want to add Simpsons Pinball Party to your immediate list. The rules are The Greatest (imho). Plus it is cool to have one sitting next to the FGY you'll probably end up buying. The humor in FGY is something you hate or love. I find this to be the funniest pin made (IMHO). Have fun.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldPinster:

I think any balanced collection should have at least one great classic like an Embryon in it!

Or Centigrade 37

#161 9 years ago

All these posts confirm one of the first ones you received. There are no right or wrong answers and as someone else said, if you are unsure wait until you are. Download the Pinball Arcade app for starters and play those pins to see if the Williams games grab you before you follow your hunch of wanting newer games. At least this will help point you in a definitive direction. Then, if you think you found one you wouod like, then come back here and start a new thread on that particular game. You will surely see a trend on whether that game would make a good choice, and any possoble issues you should be aware of prior to purchasing. People here are incredibly helpful as you have discovered.

I do want to confirm one choice you seem to be leaning towards. TZ is one of the ultimate home games and as a reseller of pins for 35 years, I have one myself. I prefer the awesome Williams games from the 80's-90's myself, and own none of the newer Stern games, but that doesn't mean that is the right choice for you. I just like the way they play as the Stern games still feel a bit clunky to me, but that is purely a preference issue. That being said, here is where getting advice here is useful. Regarding TZ, I have to be honest and say that, and Star Trek NG, are among the few Williams games at are prone to more service issues than others, but they are also chock full of features too. So, if you have very little experience working on games those are two games I would not start with, but as you get more comfortable servicing your toys you might feel good about getting a TZ later on. Hope the info helps....welcome to the hobby....I know of none better and the community and support is awesome. You will meet some really great people.

#162 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

What u 100% need to do first is play the games u want or are considering. Dont look at the top 25 games. Your choices may be totally different. When u play the games you are considering take your time. Play them a lot. With 19k you have a lot to choose from. Good luck.

Have to say catefully consider that posters advice too! The "charts" should only be used as a guideline! I always tell people pinball titles are like music....there are no right or wrongs and your top ten may contain none of anyone elses too ten.

#163 9 years ago

If I already had ACDC premium and I had 19k to spend I would get:

1. TZ 5k
    2. Tron Pro around 5k or XMen LE
    3. The Shadow 3k
    4. LOTR 5k

6 months later
    #164 8 years ago

10 months ago I came here looking for help building a small collections of games for my new game room. Totally newbie that knew nothing other then I liked playing pinball when I was a kid. Well, I could not have found a better site or better advice. Honest, straight forward help that really gave me the foundation to build a fun game room with awesome pinballs that I really enjoy playing.

My brother came over and played about 10 hours over 2 days last week and now he's thinking of getting a pin for his house. He's been on here doing all kinds of searches trying to find a game he wants. We're going to visit Ground Control in Portland and test out some other machines before he decides what he's going to buy. Again, this site has been a huge help and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that took the time to post their opinions. You guys and this site were more help then you'll ever know.

If there's any interest from Portland / Vancouver, WA members maybe we can have a get together at my place one night.

Thanks again everyone.

DSC06661.JPGDSC06661.JPGDSC06663.JPGDSC06663.JPGDSC06669.JPGDSC06669.JPG

#165 8 years ago

Let me be the first to say, holy shit dude your game room is awesome! That's a dream layout with something for everyone. Congrats and enjoy!

#166 8 years ago

wow, very nice. so much space!!

#167 8 years ago

19K isn't going to go very far,... You may as well spend that on a decent workbench so you can fix whatever comes along.

#168 8 years ago

Nice! So you settled on a good mix (what is the one between TZ and FG?)

-Junkyard, AC/DC, TZ, ?, Family Guy

#169 8 years ago

NM: NBA Fastbreak..

#170 8 years ago

ignore any and all "collectable" thoughts, regardless of how logical it may seem. Those who collect over play pinball, are never as happy.

For 20k my opinion is to go for player quality on every game, and play a lot of pinball before spending to much. Most Pinheads do not really know what they like until they have played and understood a lot of games.

You can't go wrong with....something like this.

T2 - 1,200 to 2,500
    WOZ - 8,000 ish
    XMENLE 5,000 ish
    Flash, Gorgar, Mata Hari, Siverball Mania....or some other awesome Solid State game(s) $300 to $2,000
    Any 90s Bally Williams- 1,000 to 4,000...FT, RS, TOM....
    Any modern Stern- $3,000 to 7,000

Do yourself and the hobby as a whole a favor. Don't get hung up on perfection and collection, stick to fun and function.

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

19K isn't going to go very far,... You may as well spend that on a decent workbench so you can fix whatever comes along.

Quoted from PEN:

ignore any and all "collectable" thoughts, regardless of how logical it may seem. Those who collect over play pinball, are never as happy.
    For 20k my opinion is to go for player quality on every game, and play a lot of pinball before spending to much. Most Pinheads do not really know what they like until they have played and understood a lot of games.
    You can't go wrong with....something like this.
    T2 - 1,200 to 2,500
    WOZ - 8,000 ish
    XMENLE 5,000 ish
    Flash, Gorgar, Mata Hari, Siverball Mania....or some other awesome Solid State game(s) $300 to $2,000
    Any 90s Bally Williams- 1,000 to 4,000...FT, RS, TOM....
    Any modern Stern- $3,000 to 7,000
    Do yourself and the hobby as a whole a favor. Don't get hung up on perfection and collection, stick to fun and function.

Guys, read a few posts back - this is an OLD THREAD... He ALREADy bought his machines and posted pics and a "thank you."

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

PERSONALLY :
    HUO WOZ: $6000
    Addams Family: $4500
    TSPP or Family Guy: $4500
    RFM or CFTBL: $2800
    Stargate or Black Rose: $2050
    Pinball lift from harbor freight: $150

Good luck finding a CFTBL for 2800..

#173 8 years ago

Spiderman
    WOZ
    MMR
    Mustang add later when $ permit

This will get you are variety, one of the best super hero games ever (could sub Ironman), an awesome JJP game, a Williams game (best game ever based on ratings), and finally Mustang for your car theme. It's a great game and the price is settling a bit.

#174 8 years ago

Lol no one reads the thread

#175 8 years ago

OP.....take those games you got back and listen to the people posting now..... .................Joey

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Guys, read a few posts back - this is an OLD THREAD... He ALREADy bought his machines and posted pics and a "thank you."

Thanks. My opinion still stands, and is relevant to future pinside readers.

#177 8 years ago

Now looking at the collection he has, it looks like he followed some of my advice.

Nice collection OP!

#178 8 years ago

Hey Cody. My parents live in Battle Ground, WA now. Just moved up there from Portland.

That's a sick gameroom, would love to come buy for a game or two and some beers when I come visit.

Congrats on an awesome collection. One of these days....

#179 8 years ago

Woohoo! I got into pinball a year ago...6 machines later...

This may not be the right advice you YOU.....but I'm obsessive and did my homework when I became addicted so here's my advice:

If you buy them all right now, they will not be the right machines.

If you're anxious....take a little of that coin and do a 2 day vegas trip. And get deep in The Pinball Hall of Fame. Within 3 months of that seek out anything in the top 30-40 you haven't played that entices you.

Then...you'll make the right decision.

If it were my money and I already had the AC/DC (GREAT CHOICE!)...and knowing older machines require more maintenance....I'd add:

STLE - no matter who comes over this get's the most return love. It's sexy and addictive. Wherever I go...it holds up.
    Creature from Black Lagoon
    TBL - only if theme is right for you. This is a dream pin IMO....might just be me though.
    MET (PRO or LE)
    TRON (PRO or LE)

Yeah....it
    might be more than 19K....but I told myself 1 machine. So a budget is laughable to me, because over the years you'll adjust and evolve and if you have room for 5 machines and are willing to spend 19K...I'm guessing you're willing to fill those 5 slots with whatever give you the most love in the end. Good luck...nothing like new love!

#180 8 years ago

TBL...... Wait for the shipping date.

Nice gameroom OP!

#181 8 years ago

Big Bang Bar

#182 8 years ago

And that'll leave you enough for 4-5 EM's.

Wait why am I responding to this zombie thread? <hanging head in shame>

#183 8 years ago

Heheheh nothing wrong with EMs

#184 8 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

So whats the alternative, talking about the "best cereal"or rehashing a old thread?.... And granted I didn't waste my time looking at 4 pages of the bestist, most must have game lists before replying, But really 19K hardly even gets a tommy lift on a truck anymore, much less buying "a slew of dream games.

#185 8 years ago

Ah just scrolled up n saw your games room..
    Very nice!

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Lol no one reads the thread

All I got from reading the thread, was pictures proving his game room has plenty of room for another 5 pins, so keepem coming

#187 8 years ago

Blow it all on lottery tickets. If you win, then your budget will be 100 million. Way more fun. Way more pins.

LTG : )™

There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/19000-budget-to-start-a-pinball-collection-what-should-i-buy/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.