(Topic ID: 95383)

$19,000 budget to start a pinball collection. What should I buy?

By CodyR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06663.JPG
    DSC06669.JPG
    DSC06661.JPG
    2012-04-23 18.03.58.jpg
    photo(3).JPG
    DSC_1577.JPG
    410.jpg
    370.jpg
    220.jpg
    160.jpg
    30a.jpg
    05.jpg
    h and b poster.jpg
    family-guy-park-1.png
    Cody 1976.JPG
    There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

Metallica for sure , but I would head to that arcade in Portland and play some games . See what you like . Maybe play some pinball arcade see if you like any of those too . I love my bram stokers dracula , but maybe you would hate it . Never know . Play some games and let them choose you.

#52 9 years ago

Tip #1: just because someone else likes a game, doesn't mean you will

Tip #2: just because a machine is expensive, doesn't mean it's any good

Tip #3: just because a machine is highly rated on some list, doesn't mean it's awesome

As others have said, take your time. Head off to a good arcade and try a few machines.

Hook up with fellow pinballers in your area and play a few of their machines.

I have a few machines, and I'm getting most fun out of my cheaper machines at the moment.

Good luck with it all!

rd.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from CodyR:

I have room for 5 pinball machines in my game room. The only pin I have purchased so far is an AC/DC premium (from Trent). I have a budget of $19,000 left

To summarize: Not enough space, too much money.

#54 9 years ago

Like others have said dont go and try to buy a few pinball machines for the sake of it, use some of that money you have and travel if you have to so you can play machines in the wild.

welcome!

#55 9 years ago

There has been a lack of sarcastic responses to this post... what is happening on pinside these days.

For $19K you could probably pick up all the Gay 90's machines left in the world....

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/gay-90s

#56 9 years ago

i think everyone is just too tired from all the WOZ bashing/supporting to be bothered!

#57 9 years ago

- MMR standard edition when it comes out (same gameplay as LE, better value)
    - TZ or TAF
    - MB

These three will offer great variety from legendary game designers (Brian Eddy, Lawlor, Gomez) and have awesome replayability and theme. Your money should make it happen if you don't get hosed, watch out for over priced Monster Bashes.

#58 9 years ago

Howdy from across the river!

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

- TZ or TAF
    - MB
    These three will offer great variety from legendary game designers (Brian Eddy, Lawlor, Gomez) and have awesome replayability and theme. Your money should make it happen if you don't get hosed, watch out for over priced Monster Bashes.

To be honest, if I had 19k for 5 machines, and I already had a new ACDC premium, I would go for

1/ Paragon 1500 give or take
    2/ F14 tomcat 1500 give or take
    3/ Ripleys Believe it or Not $3000 give or take
    4/ Black Knight $1500 give or take
    5/ Creature from the Black Lagoon $3000 give or take

There's a great mix of games which are all a bit different to each other (for variety) and you get to keep $9000 in your pocket.

rd.

#60 9 years ago

I have been selling pins for 35 years now. I always ask newbies to tell me about a few they know they like. Early up wind here I noticed a couple people asked you to the same. This gives people with experience enough information to know the type of game you like. I think that is more important than anything else. Then decide what era you like most. Someone mentioned some titles that basically cover all the major eras, and that is how I built my own collection. But that isn't a one shot good answer for everyone either, just like only considering DMDs, which I think eliminates an awful lot of otherwise great games, doesn't work for everyone either. Pinball is like music....there are no "right" games for all types of players and asking for advise, while a natural question, will likely only confuse you more because, from the advisers point of view, all the advise is correct.

A few people have given you the very best advice and I agree: go play a lot of games before you commit to anything other than a game you have actually played and truly enjoy. Something else I may not say to someone calling me, but what I will say to you, is don't be in a hurry! One significant reason: pin prices have continued to fall long enough, month to month, that I am comfortable saying that this is a trend for now so no need to rush. And if you are in a rush, you will almost certainly buy the wrong game and/or overpay. Also, once you decide what titles you want (and try to come up with a few beyond what you can fit so that you can be flexible) decide if you want to tinker and buy some "projects" from private parties for less, or pay a bit more and buy ready to go games from a dealer.

Seems like a lot but really, these are common sense thoughts and will help insure that when you are done, you will feel good about your purchases. And before the experienced chastise me for using the word done, I'll say it first: you will likely find you are never "done". There will likely always be that one game in your collection that isn't getting the love it should from you, and just as likely a title you don't have that you think you will like more! Just don't sell off anything you really, really enjoyed when you first got it, especially if it is a game that can be hard to find. We all have stories (see thread around here) about the game we sold and wish we hadn't! Rule one: have fun searching!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

Collectible does not always equal fun.
    I have had a lot of the top 100 and some of them are not that great in my eyes. I now have learned my lesson and don't care where the are ranked.
    If I was starting off new I would probably buy all new games. You don't have to mess with them as much and Stern has been making some awesome stuff with more coming all the time.
    So to answer your question I would buy
    AC/DC Premium
    Metallica Pro
    Star Trek Pro
    X-Men Pro
    Those four games in my opinion are all kick ass and will keep you playing for years to come. Should be colse to your budget and you can still pick all of these up NIB.

He's absolutely right, but also brings up another point I forgot to address. I personally like the way Bally/Williams games play....I don't really enjoy the way Stern games play. They feel clunky and unrefined to me, but I'm probably considered an old timer by now! A lot of people would certainly disagree with my statement, but you should do your own homework. Hard to argue that it's sexy to buy new in the box. So, make sure you play a few from all the mfg as well. You may find that is a non issue for you, but make sure before you spend the $$.

#62 9 years ago

As many other said... take your time, go to a shaw or an arcade or a collector in your area.

One thing that is also very important, is that your "favorite" machines will most probably change, if you work on your skills. Some machines show their beauty only for more experienced players.

If your are having fun with AC/DC, I am pretty sure you will also have fun with Metallica (Premium) - lots of action, many things to do - good show!

The best pinball for less experienced players is MM. Just some shots right into the middle.... Castle destroyed - and everyone thinks he is a pinball wizard. But still there are many other things to do. Also Spider Man is pretty cool... 2 shots into Doc Ock - First Multiball! Low hanging fruits

If you have good ball control - CFTBL is a great machine. If you like it fast and furious go for a Iron Man.

And there are many classic games that are fun... TAF, T2, Getaway, F14, Funhouse,...
    Or even more classic... Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, Paragon, Centaur, Harlem Globetrotters, ...

I don't know the US rates for these machines, so I can't tell how many of them fit into your budget... but nevertheless I would not buy more than one pin each two months... (and that's already fast)

P.S. there are som any cool games out there - be prepared to swap from time to time

#63 9 years ago

I found Virtual Pinball a great tool for getting an idea of what a game is like and seeing if it grabbed me. I was surprised at the realism and it gave me the opportunity to try pins I would probably never see in the flesh. I discounted some pins purely on the fact that I could not stand the voice calls and others I played over and over to see if it held my interest. Worst bit was that every machine I liked was a popular machine which = $$$$

#64 9 years ago

Don't buy BBB ...

I LOVE the "fly to vegas and try them all". That is killer advice. Flights are dirt cheap and so are hotels.

I also like the buy one at a time advice. When I bought 5 at a time I never really gave some of those pins a shot. One at a time and play it until bored.

In the alternative, if you need to fill spots, I like the "spend 5k on 4 pins" advice. Then you can play around with trading and modding all while keeping your wallet full in case something really grabs you.

Congo is awesome. I still play it.

#65 9 years ago

Get a cheap flight to Pittsburgh and go to the PAPA tournament in August. You don't have to enter the tournament but you can play several hundred machines over the weekend.

Papa.org

#66 9 years ago

I would buy pretty much any System11 game other than BBBB. You can't go wrong as long as there in good shape.

#67 9 years ago

I'd do 1 game at a time, a month or more in between. When you bring in a bunch of games all at once, you will end up playing the best/favorite the most, and the others languish. By pacing them, each one will have its time to shine. There is only so much time for pinball in a day.

#68 9 years ago

Agreed with what others have said, just because someone else doesn't like a machine, doesn't mean it will not be a good machine for YOU! Buying random top 100 rated pins will likely end up with a boring collection for YOU. My example of this is AVLE. If I listened to many people here, I would never have bought it. It is by far my favorite pin to play of all the pins I have ever played.

Many people have a love for a certain standard layout. Some people love an more open playfield, while some love a playfield filled with ramps and toys. You need to figure out what your likes and dislikes are.

To me, theme is just as important as game play. I've been going to the Indy 500 for years so even though the gameplay of that machine isn't as good as some modern games, its a forever title for me. Love the look of it and the callouts. So if I were you, I would look through IPDB and the Pinside top machines list and look for themes that pique your interest.

Then go PLAY one for a while. You can't get a feel of the shots and the sounds by looking at them online and asking us what we like. See if you can find some pinsiders in your area that have some of the machines you are looking at and ask if you can meet and play. You really can't get the feel for a game in 2 - 5 games played at a show or bar.

Finally, nostalgia. I will always have a Firepower in my collection as I dropped 1000s of quarters into that machine as a kid. The gameplay is anemic compared to AVLE or my modern games but the sounds and lights of that machine take me back. If you have any memories of machines from years ago, you should consider these titles too!

Good luck and WELCOME to Pinside!

#69 9 years ago

I totally agree with the others about taking it slow. As you dive into the hobby your likes will probably change a bit. We moved in November and I started packing pins in September...and our new house is getting the basement finished. So my stuff won't be set up for about 1.5 years. I've already added 8-9 pins since moving and thinking I kinda missed out on the 'new pin' thing. Mostly because they will all get setup at once..then I gotta choice which to play as apposed to playing the snots out of the new one

With the ability to buy 5 or so games...do'n t be afraid to hunt down your 'dream theme'. This was Metallica for me...so I kinda lucked out as it's also a very good pin.

My suggestion would be:

1st. Dream Theme: Grab this guy first and play the hell out of it. You'll probably get a better understand of what type (Speed, flow, deep, shallow, ball times, humor, bling and toys..etc) of games you like. Dream themes usually stay in the collection regardless of game play

2nd\3rd(4th): These guys would be heavy on the 'type' of game you like. Of course you have to get out to shows..other pinhead house to figure this out. The challenge here is to diversify a bit. If you like long ball\deep time game (LOTR, SM, TSPP, ACDC) you kinda gotta be careful you don't get to many of the same type.

(4th)\5th: Snoop around for those underrated gems. Remember that every game is 'underrated' on Pinside if I own it...and it's considered a turd. So take that with a grain of salt when you read here. This is also where you might wanna go opposite of your favorite. 'type'..or at least stay away from that type. For example..if you like the deep\long ball time games. You might want to consider a DW, BSD, IM here..to mix it up a bit. This game is probably the one that will get turned over the most

(6th): Don't be afraid to stray away from DMDs...there some REALLY cool non-dmd titles out there

Good luck!

#70 9 years ago

This is like standing in front of an ice cream store asking everyone who comes out what flavor you should get. If they have 40 flavors, you are going to get 40 answers, which is why they make 40 flavors in the first place.

Go inside, and taste all 40 flavors for yourself, see what YOU like, and buy one cone at a time.

Also...on your point about condition being very important to you...you might want to back off on that. Chances are VERY high that if you buy, say, 5 games with your stash, you will be looking to sell 3 of them inside a year. Maybe consider getting more games in lesser condition and when you learn that you LOVE a game, then find your "keeper" in the condition you want.

#71 9 years ago

I'll add to Joe Grenuk's comment, that after tasting all 40 flavors, see which ones you want to taste again. rinse, repeat and this will [help] weed out the games which are fun to play but nothing that you might want in your collection.

like others have stated, the hunt is the fun part and don't settle for anything less than what you want in exactly the condition you want (if you're buying an older machine).

#72 9 years ago

Do not ask for other's opinions They will steer you towards games that they like that you may not. Case in point, white water... Play a game at least 50 times before you make a decision. Not on a simulator but the real game. Bought two games that I thought I liked after a few plays. The one I sold and replaced and the other is on its way out I think. The wife really likes it though :-/.

#73 9 years ago

Being in Canada I would think it would be required of you to own a hockey themed game!!!

I would recommend looking for machines that interest you and then try to find them locally so you can first go out and play them to ensure that you like them. Also, with that budget, maybe bank 8k of it and wait to see if you like any of the new machines that are to come out soon (i.e. Hobbit, possibly KISS by Stern, MMr etc).

Good luck with the hunt and start looking for more space as #6 wont be far behind!

#74 9 years ago

90s B/W machines are my personal favorites -- they just feel more solid and have more elaborate layouts and features than Sterns, but I am not sure they are ideal starter games. Especially if you are buying several in a short period, you may find yourself overwhelmed with constant minor issues. The B/W games are well-engineered and parts are available, but they are filled with tons of mechanical components that are 20 years old, even if the game looks pristine. Sterns would likely be easier to maintain.

#75 9 years ago

My advice has to do with condition. If you find an older pin in excellent condition for $200-400 more than average, don't hesitate to grab it. Restoring a cabinet or playfield is a lot of work, and there's value in having someone do it for you. It's also much easier to sell if you decide you don't like it.

That said, there's nothing wrong with buying a beater to play as long as it's not a basketcase.

#76 9 years ago

If you want to have an EM in there i highly recommend finding a nice cow poke. We have tons of dmd and solid states but always find fun on that game. Its played daily.

#77 9 years ago

Many have given the only advice worthwhile >> go play and THEN buy.

I will add to that...

Be sure to not make an evaluation of a game based on a turd that plays poorly. I have played versions of my favorite games that are complete dogs besuase things are broken/don't work/ tuned poorly. Then you go play a nice example and can be blown away how much better it is.

In other words play as many versions of each game as you can. Since you live in prime route location pinball region, make it a fun adventure to seek out different locations in the PNW and play games. Don't limit yourself to any one era.

#78 9 years ago

All of the suggestions provided so far are excellent.

It's important to realize the economics of this new hobby that you are enjoying. The single best aspect of this hobby is that games can be a renewable resource for future games. Until this hobby goes bust, you'll always be able to get some money for a working game. The amount of money depends on a lot of factors.

This incredible aspect allows you to take calculated gambles with machines.

So if you are interested in a particular game and you can find it locally for sale, I would advise you to go ahead and buy it. Just be sure to do your homework before you pay a single dollar to the seller.

Do your own research on the game.

#1 Visit eBay and look up past COMPLETED listings for the game title in question. You want to see the price actually paid for a game. Make a mental note of the price range.

#2. Visit www.bostonpinball.biz and click on the link for "Ebay Sales Summary". Find your game and see the price listed in the "Average Most Recent 12 months" column. Then look at the adjacent column, "Count Most Recent 12 Months". These two pieces of data will give you a good starting point on the current market for the game you want.

#3. Visit www.mrpinball.com and look up the asking prices for your desired game in the classified ads. Use the search function to filter down to your game and then take a mental note of the price range.

#4. Visit the marketplace on Pinside and look up the asking prices for your game. Take a mental note of the price range.

These four steps will provide you with a solid foundation that will serve you well in your hunt for the game. Now that you have an idea about price range, you can make a calculated gamble and buy a game that piques your interest.

For example, you noted that you are interested in Twilight Zone.

Steps #1 & #2 will demonstrate that TZ has a sales average of $5,915 over 36 completed sales on eBay over the past 12 months.

Step #3 will reinforce the price range from eBay as well as introduce you games that are more expensive. As of 6/25/2014, there are 12 listings for TZ. Some are from 2013. Others are from 2014. You will see some as high as $8,000 and others as low as $5,000.

Step #4 found four listings for TZ on Pinside Marketplace. The prices found are $4,900, $5,200, $5,500 and $6,500.

So what have these 4 steps established?

In the case of TZ, you have established that $4,500 is a great deal while anything in the $5,000-$6,000 is market. Anything above $6,000 is rare and should be near perfect for you to consider buying it.

So now you know that you can "gamble" $5,000 - $6,000 on a TZ. After playing the game for 6 months, you will be able to make a decision on TZ's long term future with you. If you do not like it, you have a good chance of getting back most, if not all of your original price.

REMEMBER THAT THIS IS A HOBBY!!!

Let's say that you have to sell it for less than your original purchase price. That is not the end of the world. You are still going to get anywhere from 80%-99% of your money back provided that you purchased within the market value of TZ.

So if you buy a TZ for $5,500 and play it for 6 months and decide TZ needs to go, you have an opportunity to get back somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 - $6,000. Let's say you sell it for $5,140. By the numbers, you lost $360. But that $360 is not really lost money. You had a classic game for 6 months and you paid $60 a month for the privilege of playing it. That's $2 a day for a TZ.

That's a very good use of your entertainment dollar. Plus you now have $5,140 to put back into your pinball hobby.

As long as you remember that this is a hobby and that you will be spending money on it, you can experience many different games.

Welcome to our great hobby and I hope you are able to use your $19,000 to its full potential!!

Marcus

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

Take a trip to Vegas, and visit the PHOF. Play em all, and make a list! This was my "reason for going to Vegas" several times. Research!!! Win-win!

What he said. Take about $1-2K of that $19K and spend a few days in Vegas. In Summer you can get great hotel deals. Plan on taking 2-3 trips to the PHOF while there though, because you'll be overwhelmed at first.

What about maintaining them? How comfortable are you making repairs? If not so much, you might want to buy fairly new games from the same manufacturer to minimize the different systems you'll have to become familiar with. PHOF will help, but you won't be able to enjoy sound very much there and some of the games might not be in the best shape, so it won't be an easy decision. Also, take your time, no need to buy them all at once. Good luck!

#80 9 years ago

I'd go with some variety. We love cars too (I have 3 cars that run under 12 second ETs in the quarter mile )

-High Speed II: The Getaway (for the great car theme and ZZ Top music)
    -a top-20 Stern (LOTR, SM, TSPP, Tron, etc)
    -Revenge from Mars (huge hit with guests)
    -Stargate or Super Mario Bros for some of the DMD Gottlieb games. SMB is very popular with guests too, and Stargate is just a very cool game.
    -Gorgar is a great early solid state game. When I have only have a few min, I fire up a game of Gorgar
    -Joust for the best head-to-head pinball action out there, and an awesome novelty

#81 9 years ago

My suggestion is to go to a show where there are 50-100 games set up and play 20-30 games on a table if you are considering a purchase. Try to look for reasons that you do NOT like that game. If you can quickly count 3 or more reasons, keep looking. You will just know what the right pin(s) are for you when you find them.

If you buy a used machine, EXPECT it to have problems at some point, even if it works perfect right now.

Before you buy a game make a point of contact by asking on Pinside what tech is close to you, fair, and respected because you are going to need one if you own even one machine.

Don't buy from Choggard.

For a newbie, don't have a pin shipped to you unless you are buying new.

For a newbie, pay with cash in person.

#82 9 years ago

ACDC Pro (HUO)
    Fish Tales
    IM re-release
    X-Men (HUO)
    The Shadow

#83 9 years ago

Here is my list YMMV
    WOZ "Wizard of Oz" 7k (ish)
    RFM/SWE1 3.5k "Revenge from Mars and Star Wars Episode 1" (plus you get 2 games in 1 slot), your guests will love it and they are different than any other pin
    WCS94 "World Cup Soccer 94" or Congo 1.5k-2k (family friendly and great bang for the buck games)
    MMR "Medieval Madness Remake" 8k, my favorite all time game and able to be bought brand new in the box.

I am sure you will get hundreds of different responses but I am sticking with these 4-5. The values given are close to market. Make sure you buy them from Pinsiders or other local collectors, stay away from Ebay as the prices are crazy.

#84 9 years ago

Go after themes you like. If you like Lord of the Rings or The Simpsons, get one. If you don't like it they are very easy games to sell and find something else. Don't be afraid to sell a game you don't like.

#85 9 years ago

I'll stick to newer Sterns or 90s Bally/Williams games for starters. Preferably buy from another collector who already has the game dialed in. Avoid retailers and E-Bay purchases.

Variety is great however it can quickly become frustrating if you're trying to learn how to fix games from too many different manufacturers and eras.

I would recommend buying the nicest examples of any games you can. It's easier to sell a nicer game if you don't like it, and if it's a keeper for you, you have a good quality game.

#86 9 years ago

Get at least one game that does not have a deep rule set. A funhouse or CFTBL are good games you could even go old school and get a 80s SS game. As for high price games CV AND TZ

#87 9 years ago

Go an expo and play every game in real life. You'll be surprised. Some games you thought looked great will bore you and there will be totally unexpected ones that you'll fall in love with

#88 9 years ago

you have AcDc premium which is a great place to start.

For myself if I had that and an additional $19k to spend:

Tron $4800
    IM VE $4800
    PotC HUO $4500
    SM $4900

I don't think PotC pin is that great, but it's fun and really a favorite of casual players and easy enough for kids and older folks who might not be able to grasp the quicker games. SM also falls into this category. I'm not usually a fan of long ball time games but this collection would have both quick and long games.

#89 9 years ago

Superb suggestions and great advice guys! Thank you for all the help and the warm welcome. I'll be heading down to Ground Kontrol and trying out as many games as possible.

#90 9 years ago

Spend $5k on Pinball. 12k on Hookers and Blow. ....and waste the rest...

h and b poster.jpgh and b poster.jpg

#91 9 years ago

be careful because you could be ripe for getting ripped off. Like they say... take your time and enjoy each purchase. You'll learn more from each game and learn what to look for and what kind of games make you happy

#92 9 years ago

car themes and rock n roll....... CREECH & KISS

#93 9 years ago

Since you already know that you like rock themes, Metallica and Gn'R would probably be the best additions.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

I thought the standard was priced the same as the LE?

#95 9 years ago

I'll say it again... Iron man and or met pro/premium/le now. Great games that are easily traded and readily available now.

#96 9 years ago

You can play just about every modern pin from the 90's on. Just drive around and check stuff out -

http://www.pinballmap.com/portland

#97 9 years ago

Cbar is a great alternative to Ground Kontrol - both killer places to play a variety.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

I don't know how it is a better value when you can still get a MMR LE for the same price as a Standard.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Spend $5k on Pinball. 12k on Hookers and Blow. ....and waste the rest...

h and b poster.jpg 25 KB

Skip the blow. More budget for hookers.

#100 9 years ago

Get a couple of EM games, seriously. Its nice to have them around and certain groups of people really enjoy playing them.

There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/19000-budget-to-start-a-pinball-collection-what-should-i-buy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.