$19,000 budget to start a pinball collection. What should I buy?

(Topic ID: 95383)

$19,000 budget to start a pinball collection. What should I buy?

By CodyR

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC06663.JPG
    DSC06669.JPG
    DSC06661.JPG
    2012-04-23 18.03.58.jpg
    photo(3).JPG
    DSC_1577.JPG
    410.jpg
    370.jpg
    220.jpg
    160.jpg
    30a.jpg
    05.jpg
    h and b poster.jpg
    family-guy-park-1.png
    Cody 1976.JPG

There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

I have room for 5 pinball machines in my game room. The only pin I have purchased so far is an AC/DC premium (from Trent). I have a budget of $19,000 left and was looking for some help selecting some good collectible machines. What would be some good collectible / fun playing machines?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and tips. I hate being the new guy, but I have to start somewhere. I figured you guys would be the best place to get some real true honest answers.

Cody 1976.JPG

#2 4 years ago

This is a very subjective question. Give us some more data. What sort of themes do you like?

#3 4 years ago

Any theme interest you more than another? I would start with the Pinside 100 and start reading about the different "top" options.

#4 4 years ago

MB,STTNG,MMR,and 2 or 3 b-list WIlliams/BAlly

#5 4 years ago

Start with your favorite game Great budget I'm sure you'll be able to get some sweet pins with that!

#6 4 years ago

Sorry I wasn't more specific TigerLaw. I should have gave you more information to go on. Love Car themes and Rock n Roll. Sports are cool too. I'm leaning toward the modern / newer machines, but really can not tell you why? I have all most no playing time on a TZ, but was thinking I liked the theme and the challenge.

Thanks for the help!

#7 4 years ago

What are your repair skills? Can you solder? Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

If no to both of those questions, buy new. (short answer)

#9 4 years ago

Go slow. Find what you like. Enjoy the hunt.

#10 4 years ago

metallica

#11 4 years ago

Just start at Scared Stiff and go from there....

#12 4 years ago

Take it slower. If you don't know the answer to this question already, you shouldn't spend another 19k based on others' opinions. First buy one more - maybe you could ask for a good compliment to ACDC and play that for a while, go to a show or two, and see what you think next. Speaking as someone who went from 0 to too many way too fast, I wish I would have taken those first few purchases a little more slowly.

You don't know what you don't know, and to find out you need experience.

Good luck!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

That's as good an answer as you are going to get in my opinion.

Get out there and play some pins, decide what you like, and then hunt them down. The hunt is half the fun of this hobby.

Great picture by the way.

#14 4 years ago

This. Play games wherever you can, location, other local pinsiders, whatever. Get a feel for what you like.

#15 4 years ago

TSPP .. just got one and love it

#16 4 years ago

Tell us some games that you like and some that you don't. I assume you've played games other than ac/dc?

#17 4 years ago

Go to a show/arcade, play all the games, make a list, and then wait for a good deal to pop up. You'll save a lot of money if you let games come to you rather than tracking them down. You will be best off ignoring this thread, you will not share the same opinions with anyone here.

#18 4 years ago

Buy met pro and iron man right now. You can have some fun with them and get rid of them with minimal monetary loss if you don't like (guess). Both are available new and are highly regarded.

#19 4 years ago

I concur! Metallica is a great companion for ACDC.

Rob

#20 4 years ago

Collectible does not always equal fun.

I have had a lot of the top 100 and some of them are not that great in my eyes. I now have learned my lesson and don't care where the are ranked.

If I was starting off new I would probably buy all new games. You don't have to mess with them as much and Stern has been making some awesome stuff with more coming all the time.

So to answer your question I would buy

AC/DC Premium

Metallica Pro

Star Trek Pro

X-Men Pro

Those four games in my opinion are all kick ass and will keep you playing for years to come. Should be colse to your budget and you can still pick all of these up NIB.

#21 4 years ago

my South Park.
    it's awesome !!!

family-guy-park-1.png

#22 4 years ago

With that kind of budget and 5 machines you could get a well-rounded collection.

You already have a modern Stern..

Add to that: WOZ - there's nothing else like it

Then get a Gottlieb 70s-era EM like Card Whiz/Royal Flush, Jumping Jack

Add a vintage Bally solid state: Paragon, 8 Ball/delux, Supersonic, Strikes and Spares, 8 ball, Fathom, Flash Gordon, Centaur, Nitro Ground Shaker, etc.

Get a vintage Gottlieb SS: Genie, Black Hole, Haunted House, Mars God of War, etc.

And you have 5 games that represent some of the best pinball eras ever.

For example, a great collection: ACDC, Royal Flush, 8 Ball Deluxe, WOZ, Black Hole. No matter who comes over to your place, if they know anything about pinball, you'll have a game they'll flip out over..

#23 4 years ago

Almost there...just save up another $5-$6K and you can by a BBB.

J/K! There are a TON of AMZING machines out there. You've had some awesome suggestions in here from people who actually own the machines. So when they say it's a good game, it's pretty good advice.

My honest suggestion, drive 1-2 hours if you have too to find a good arcade with a lot of pins to try. Play every game. After you play, take notes on how much you and your family (if that applies) liked each machine. Give them a star rating from 1-5. Take all the machines with 4 and 5 ratings and then search for the best deals on those machines.

In any case, I wish you lots of luck, loads of fun and welcome to the asylum.

#24 4 years ago

Don't just go out and buy all your machines at once, big mistake. Slow down, enjoy learning, enjoy the hunt, and enjoy playing your games. You buy them all at once you're not going to spend the proper time with each one first. Space it out.

#25 4 years ago

I'm a big advocate for a progressive pinball lineup.
    Something from the early 1980s, late 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s.

If it was my lineup....

Awesome early 80s art with old-school gameplay like medusa, fathom or sorcerer.
    A cool late 80s Williams game like EATPM or whirlwind.
    A 1990s movie theme pin like Williams IJ or CFTBL.
    A deep 2000s stern like TSPP or LOTR.
    Your AC/DC.

#27 4 years ago

Download "The Pinball Arcade" app on your ipad or other tablet and play the crap out of all the free games. Then you can buy a few of the ones that you find entertaining. $2-$5 per game and they are exact replicas. When you find one that you keep going back to, you'll start getting a better idea of one that will be worth buying. Only downside is you won't find newer titles. Good luck!

#28 4 years ago

I'd blow a little of it on a show or two and get some variety playing other pins under your belt.

Then decide what you like and get pins like that.

LTG : )™

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Don't just go out and buy all your machines at once, big mistake. Slow down, enjoy learning, enjoy the hunt, and enjoy playing your games. You buy them all at once you're not going to spend the proper time with each one first. Space it out.

Totally agree with this. Find a local pinsider that has some machines you'd like to try, you wouldn't believe how receptive we are to having total strangers over checking out the collections on occasion. Good way to get a feel on the rules and general flow of the older Bally and Williams game is via virtual pinball, pinball arcade in particular had led me to many wants.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Find a local pinsider that has some machines you'd like to try, you wouldn't believe how receptive we are to having total strangers over checking out the collections on occasion.

Exactly. You're a little too far for a casual drive, but you'd always be welcome to come over and give our little collection a try...

#31 4 years ago

Take a trip to Vegas, and visit the PHOF. Play em all, and make a list! This was my "reason for going to Vegas" several times. Research!!! Win-win!

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from CodyR:

selecting some good collectible machines. What would be some good collectible / fun playing machines?

Judging from how things are going these days, I say to stay away from $6K+ pins.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Go to a show/arcade, play all the games, make a list, and then wait for a good deal to pop up. You'll save a lot of money if you let games come to you rather than tracking them down. You will be best off ignoring this thread, you will not share the same opinions with anyone here.

+1
    This is the best advice

Buy one game at a time, find out if you even like pibball and the attention they need

#34 4 years ago

I would love to have 19K to spend on pins!
    On the other hand... still having only 1 game after 1 year into the hobby gave me alot of experience. I loved the challenge of fixing my first problem with my game.
    Now I'm having plans to take apart every solenoid, replace sleeves and springs with new ones and clean up all mechanics to make it run better (it's very dirty).
    And I know I'm going to love it!

Have recently made couple of offers on some cheap games.. but didn't win.
    Hoping to get a cheap fair game I can fix a little and sell with a small profit after some time.

Anyway.. like many before me I recomend to take it easy and try learn something about them on the way

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from CodyR:

I have room for 5 pinball machines in my game room. The only pin I have purchased so far is an AC/DC premium (from Trent). I have a budget of $19,000 left and was looking for some help selecting some good collectible machines. What would be some good collectible / fun playing machines?
    Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and tips. I hate being the new guy, but I have to start somewhere. I figured you guys would be the best place to get some real true honest answers.

Cody 1976.JPG 158 KB

Twilight Zone, Creature from the Black Lagoon, White Water, BS Dracula, Shadow, and a High Speed just for some System 11 variety.

#36 4 years ago

Sure $19,000 now plus another 5k for the next new vault and oh pretty soon your completely addicted. Good luck stopping at 19k lol

#37 4 years ago

I think you might need a Hit and Run.

#38 4 years ago

20 Gorgars?

#39 4 years ago

I wouldn't be flashing(er, revealing) just how much $ you have, otherwise you're going to find people here trying to sell you a STTNG for $9000 and telling you they are doin' ya a favor.

#40 4 years ago

If you have that kind of jack to spend, I highly recommend finding a place around your area that has multiple pinballs to play/test drive. Like others have said...take your time. I would do this over a few months. Youtube and reviews always vary. It's all about what you like.

#41 4 years ago

Exactly. You have the cash in hand, the way it sounds, so just take your time, play games on location, play other people's games(!) and figure out what you like. You don't need to lay out all $19k at once and get the whole collection. Find them one by one and then when you find one that you want you have the cash in hand and you're prepared to make an immediate purchase.

#42 4 years ago

Unbelievable how much great and friendly advice I'm getting. You guys rock! I'll stick around and gather more information while playing as many machines as I can. Buy 1 machine at a time and enjoy seems to be a common suggestion.

I like the thought of buying new machines as condition is very important to me. The pins I really want to spend some time playing are TZ, Junk Yard, Metallica, and Family Guy as those themes interest me.

#43 4 years ago

Go to pinball expos and shows. If there isn't one in your area, take a little bit of that money, buy a plane ticket and travel to a show. I've gotten a better feel of what I like from going to a 1 or 2 shows a year.

#44 4 years ago

Any good shows in the Northwest?

#45 4 years ago

Play and enjoy. Used games will be getting a good bit cheaper over the next few years.

#47 4 years ago

AC/DC is a great title. It's a tough table though and takes a lot of practice to get good at in my opinion. Perfect for a home as you'll never truly master it.

I'd look at some of the newer Stern titles. Since you like music, Metallica is a great table with some of the best artwork around. Makes a great companion next to AC/DC. You mention cars and Stern has just come out with Mustang. I've never played it but have heard good things. And Star Trek is another new table that seems to be popular if you're into the theme.

After grabbing one of those I'd look at a 90's B/W. Someone earlier mentioned downloading Pinball Arcade as that will give you some insight into a lot of the tables. Junk Yard would be a great option. TZ is a great table too.

I wouldn't rush into all 5 tables at once. Stern is coming out with 2-3 titles a year so there's a chance they'll release something down the line you'll want and having the spot available in your gameroom comes in handy. And you never know what deals pop up in your area or what table you'll come across and fall in love with.

#48 4 years ago

Its your lucky day ! Im running a special on kicks-in-the-nuts for $15,000. Take whats left, buy yourself a TSPP , and we'll call it a win / win.

#49 4 years ago

If you want to try out a few games. We can meet up an hour or two on a weekend evening. Grab a beer and play.
    But you would have to invite me to play some ACDC as I do not own it yet
    Also might not be a bad idea to download and play a ton of Virtual pinball to get an idea of rules and layout of hundreds of titles from your home PC or laptop.

I would go over to Ground Kontrol for a day also and play every title. Some local theatres also have decent titles.
    Battle Ground theatre finally changed out POTC and put in CSI.
    Van Mall cinetoptia has 3 or 4 games including Transformers LE.

#50 4 years ago

You should get World Cup soccer94, metallica premium, attack from mars, Indianapolis 500. With this line up you will have covered every theme you like and these are very fun games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.75
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.50
    There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside