(Topic ID: 125475)

18 Months One Pinball Manufacture will be left.

By 2RustyBalls

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 610 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 5.20.08 PM.png
    whizbang.png
    choose-fullthrottle-button-2.jpg
    peoples college of law.jpg
    bc4cb2d18aeb36e8e218829d24ed3978.jpg
    pinfutures.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    head-in-sand.jpg
    drama-llama.jpg
    20150409_190831.jpg
    20150409_190923.jpg
    20150417_120330.jpg
    20150417_120403.jpg
    20150417_120541.jpg
    rUumI0j.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 610 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
    #301 9 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Oh good - you characters got what you wanted - relatively new to pinball & pinside johnharvey123 did indeed delete his account. Oh well, nothing like hearing the same old legends & trolls get their points across. Shame on him for trying to turn around this troll post earlier and being excited about buying pins. Not everyone on pinside still live in their parents basement & post from their Obama phones

Nothing has changed in the 3 years I've been here. I got crap as a noob and move to Tech threads. Grow some thicker skin and quit asking for people's home addresses for presumably a fight especially RobT.

#303 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Brick killed a guy.

With a trident.

#305 9 years ago

post from their Obama phones

Those are St.Reagan phones. Do some research !

#306 9 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You do realize LTG is one of the nicest and most helpful people here, right?

Yes. He's fine until he decides to tell others what to do. My opinions are often unpopular, but that's all they really are - opinions. It's a lot easier to follow the herd than to actually post original thoughts... especially when old-timers are trying to shut down every thread that doesn't run parallel to their own way of thinking.

#307 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Yes. He's fine until he decides to tell others what to do. My opinions are often unpopular, but that's all they really are - opinions. It's a lot easier to follow the herd than to actually post original thoughts... especially when old-timers are trying to shut down every thread that doesn't run parallel to their own way of thinking.

its difficult to put into words just how much I absolutely disagree with everything about you

#308 9 years ago

its difficult to put into words just how much I absolutely disagree with everything about you

That why Robin implemented the thumbs down feature. It really saves bandwidth !

#309 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Those are St.Reagan phones. Do some research !

heh... politics is all about making up something and leaving the burden of proof on the other guy. At least the OP gave himself 18 months before anyone can technically prove him wrong.

#310 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

My opinions are often unpopular, but that's all they really are - opinions. It's a lot easier to follow the herd than to actually post original thoughts...

SadSack, you frequently make insightful points, including in this very thread, but your delivery often leaves a lot to be desired. Imagine a grizzly bear trying to manage a salmon farm for maximum profit.

Having said that, I've noticed in a few of your recent edits that you are trying to temper your posts to "play nice". Keep working on your delivery, without losing your insight, and your comments will carry a lot more weight. JMHO. Best regards.

#311 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

That why Robin implemented the thumbs down feature. It really saves bandwidth !

Your right & you made me laugh.... Funny stuff - thanks

#312 9 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

We need people who will work and make things happen, not draw a plastic set with the outline of a Penis because they are somehow unhappy.

Is this a real thing? If so can someone provide the backstory on this?

#313 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Yes. He's fine until he decides to tell others what to do..

Now you've done it....

Thou shalt not insult LTG... the guy is the "pinball whisperer."

Any shred of agreement you might have found on this forum just evaporated.

#314 9 years ago

If I had to block someone everytime I disagree, I wouldn't be able to see my own posts.

#315 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

198 down votes isn't because of old-timers or herd mentality. It's because the OP is a dick who likes to be inflammatory. LTG is a great guy who's helped many people here. for free. Maybe THAT'S why people listen to him and tend to agree with him.

Or maybe people are sick of people spouting out at the mouth with no intentions other than to cause angst or rile people up. That's not what this site is about. rusty should be banned or suspended for oh I dunno...18 months?

He adds no actual value to this site. But since he doesn't technically break any rules he's free to stay. Negative karma should get instituted and too much negative karma should result in a suspension. But hey that's just my opinion.

#316 9 years ago

Cross-posting from The Hobbit Update thread, the following was posted by Jack on the JJP Google Group.

------

"We learned a lot with this license.

Doing a movie series that has not been released is something we will not do again. Sure if there are 2 in the bag and one more - OK - but all three not done - too many IP assets that are not available to you to make something that is complete.

The whole redesign after Pinball Expo was almost the same as making a whole new game. I guess we will list all of the ECN's and part changes and all of the ripples that had on the physical, virtual and BOM.

BTW - we do not "get" our parts from China. Some electronic parts naturally come from China. Out met parts, etc....good old USA, Wires are made in USA - maybe the wire comes from China (?) - speakers come from China, etc....China is not our issue.

Engineering side of the company was an issue but is not now as we have added the right people there. "

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/114#post-2407325

#317 9 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

198 down votes isn't because of old-timers or herd mentality. It's because the OP is a dick who likes to be inflammatory. LTG is a great guy who's helped many people here. for free. Maybe THAT'S why people listen to him and tend to agree with him.
    Or maybe people are sick of people spouting out at the mouth with no intentions other than to cause angst or rile people up. That's not what this site is about. rusty should be banned or suspended for oh I dunno...18 months?
    He adds no actual value to this site. But since he doesn't technically break any rules he's free to stay. Negative karma should get instituted and too much negative karma should result in a suspension. But hey that's just my opinion.

A bit harsh. After all, you are reading the thread.,

Also jonharvey123 you are still reading. You might as well open your account back up make amends and play nice. Much worse things have been said and forgiven on both sides of any issue.

#318 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

A bit harsh. After all, you are reading the thread.,
    Also jonharvey123 you are still reading. You might as well open your account back up make amends and play nice. Much worse things have been said and forgiven on both sides of any issue.

Agreed, nice move, delete all your posts but continue to thumbs down others posts. Classy move.

#319 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Agreed, nice move, delete all your posts but continue to thumbs down others posts. Classy move.

I don't follow you?

#320 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I don't follow you?

He is talking about the harvey dude .

#321 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

He is talking about the harvey dude .

I see said the blind man.

#322 9 years ago

He is confused. He thumbs down posts after his last. Then he deactivated.

#323 9 years ago

Holy crap, 200 down votes. That has to be a world record !

#324 9 years ago
    Quoted from MAJRob:

Holy crap, 200 down votes. That has to be a world record !

I doubt it . All it is saying is that 201 people don't agree that there will only be 1 pinball manufacture in 18 months.

The fact is, 201 people have a difficult time reading between the lines !

#325 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I thought I might not be on the list..... until you added the second hand.

Are you buying?

#326 9 years ago

Wow! I've been off of Pinside for awhile and the ignorance and mis-information in this thread really takes me back!

What I've learned...

Hobbit is MIA with no ETA. (Remember when it was feared that it would be "held up" to correspond to the release of the final film.) LoL!

PPS still claims to be a "manufacturer" when things go right, but point fingers when issues arise.

A few guys have taken a LOT of money and run. (Sorry guys, that really sucks!)

JJP has the Star Wars license. No big surprise there; but will they be around long enough to make it? Seems like the wagons are circling.

Where's Alex to clear all this up?? Maybe he knows something we don't ...?

#327 9 years ago

Strictly speaking, JJP did NOT say he had the Star Wars license.

Just hinted that he did.

#328 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrDo:

Wow! I've been off of Pinside for awhile and the ignorance and mis-information in this thread really takes me back!
    What I've learned...
    Hobbit is MIA with no ETA. (Remember when it was feared that it would be "held up" to correspond to the release of the final film.) LoL!
    PPS still claims to be a "manufacturer" even though they contract everything out.
    A few guys have taken a LOT of money and run. (Sorry guys, that really sucks!)
    JJP has the Star Wars license. No big surprise there; but will they be around long enough to make it? Seems like the debtors are lining up.
    Where's Alex to clear all this up?? Maybe he knows something we don't ...?

Spot on, lol.

#329 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Strictly speaking, JJP did NOT say he had the Star Wars license.
    Just hinted that he did.

People "in the know" heard that the license was awarded last year.

It makes sense that JJP would grab it. Now they can do Lawlor AND Star Wars pre-orders to get the money together to make Hobbit.

Hobbit money built WoZ. Rinse and repeat.

#330 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I doubt it . All it is saying is that 201 people don't agree that there will only be 1 pinball manufacture in 18 months.

The fact is, 201 people have a difficult time reading!

fixed. =)

#331 9 years ago

Well, for completeness' sake, I wouldn't call Hobbit MIA, but late. It continues to appear in multiple shows with regular updates of both hardware and software.

Predator is MIA.

#332 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

The OP overreached into troll territory when he typed the title of this thread (i.e., predicting only ONE pinball manufacturer would be left in 18 months). So I down-voted. Simple as that, and I suspect others did, too.

Nevertheless, I have no problem reading between the lines. Several things posted in this thread -- or specifically NOT posted by people who could have commented, but chose not to -- should give people cause for concern about the financial status of certain players in this relatively small niche industry. JMHO.

#333 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrDo:

People "in the know" heard that the license was awarded last year.
    It makes sense that JJP would grab it. Now they can do Lawlor AND Star Wars pre-orders to get the money together to make Hobbit.
    Hobbit money built WoZ. Rinse and repeat.

Sure, pretty standard stuff for a startup, I would think.

I know JJP wants to be preorder free by #3. But that's more an accountancy decision and stated goal than a given.

But sounds like exactly the kinds of things that an upstart company with long-term vision SHOULD be doing. And they'd better be producing good product. Hence at least part of the reason for going back to the drawing board and reworking Hobbit, explaining at least somewhat the delay.

Anyhow, if they have the Star Wars license, at least DISNEY thinks they're doing something right. Unless you are suggesting Stern didn't compete for the license at all?

And I'd rather have a delayed interesting pin than a same-old same-old pin delivered on time, as I have no doubt whatsoever that I'll receive my Hobbit when it's ready.

But that's a thread for another day.

#334 9 years ago

Jonharvey123

You're mos def new here & misbehaving a bit

All this bickering you see between Pinside members does not mean we all want to meet up & fight. Shit some names here bicker today & sell each other games tomorrow. Most of us go to conventions & arcades just to talk more friendly shit lol. Hell a lot of us talk & text outside of pinball!

I don't always agree w/everyone here. I get thumbs down & up from the same damn people in the same damn day. So what!

We are arguing about tiny Hobbits & DOA baked potato flashers for fucks sake

No need to whine & delete account. Put on big boy pants, chill out & have some fun!

#335 9 years ago

Yes.
    What PW said.

#336 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Sure, pretty standard stuff for a startup, I would think.
    I know JJP wants to be preorder free by #3. But that's more an accountancy decision and stated goal than a given.
    But sounds like exactly the kinds of things that an upstart company with long-term vision SHOULD be doing. And they'd better be producing good product. Hence at least part of the reason for going back to the drawing board and reworking Hobbit, explaining at least somewhat the delay.
    Anyhow, if they have the Star Wars license, at least DISNEY thinks they're doing something right. Unless you are suggesting Stern didn't compete for the license at all?
    And I'd rather have a delayed interesting pin than a same-old same-old pin delivered on time, as I have no doubt whatsoever that I'll receive my Hobbit when it's ready.
    But that's a thread for another day.

If they do take pre-orders on #3 I would most certainly consider that yet another red flag. Anyone pre-ordering at that point might as well consider it donating to charity.

However, while I really do think they need outside financing right now to fund Hobbit production I also think they have a reasonable chance at finding it. They have a mature manufacturing facility and a (mostly) talented team and have proven they can build a quality game/product. What they haven't proven is that they can properly manage a project with discipline in order to not suffer the financial consequences of delays. They also have not yet proven there is a sustainable market at this price level. But, while these factors might prove unsolvable I don't know if that means failure is imminent. Only time will tell.

#337 9 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Bryan, it's real easy to contact me. You have been a guest at our factory and I have been to your home.
    I'm ultimately responsible, the buck stops with me. I cannot leave JJP as some employees have or can do.
    The people that work for companies are responsible for their decisions. That had not happened at JJP for a long time because the "hope" of what would happen was there. Hope is not a plan. We need people who will work and make things happen, not draw a plastic set with the outline of a Penis because they are somehow unhappy.
    You only know part of the story my friend and I am not different today as a person but you know what, we need people who will actually do what they are paid to do and not pay me back with lip service. That's why things run late, over budget and there is no accountability because some people do not take responsibility or accountability.
    I'm always available to talk with you Bryan......I did offer that to you in person in Texas too.

I find this post hard to digest. At the top, you admit you are responsible for hiring the right people and motivating them to greatness. However things are late because some people do not take responsibility or accountability?

Logically, things would then be late because you chose the wrong people or dis-motivated them to the point you apparently get penis outlines...

Honestly, you are mostly proving Bryan's point. It wasn't me, it was those other guys (who I probably handpicked myself...) is not befitting a fearless learder.

I do empathize with feeling like your employees are not working to their potential, it would be frustrating to feel you are getting lip service not real effort. At the end of the day though you have picked the wrong people or are somehow not motivating them to provide their best.

#338 9 years ago

Are we sure the penis plastics weren't meant for Zingy Bingy?

#339 9 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

I guess landing a license like Star Wars would tip the scales.......

I was hoping to see a Star Wars pin in 2016

#340 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

The good news is you will probably have the opportunity to pay for one!

#341 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Show me another topic with 200 down votes. I am lazy and don't feel like looking.

#342 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

Maybe he tried to type Spaceballs in his post about the scales tipping. Damn auto-correct.

#343 9 years ago
    Quoted from MAJRob:

Show me another topic with 200 down votes

I was just doubting that it is a world record.

#344 9 years ago

I can't believe this thread is still going.
    Anyone live near the op? Invite him over for some pinball and a hug.
    The rest of ya. Go play your games.

#345 9 years ago

To sum things up . As long as this keeps rolling, there is good hope for all pinball manufacturers. Pinballers just need to make room in their collectives. Wasn't a problem back when tens of thousands of machines were out on route

pinfutures.jpegpinfutures.jpeg

#346 9 years ago

A year ago some of us were thinking / hoping 2015 would be the year with 10+ makers releasing 15+ pins...

The recent Skit-B failure, the inability to raise enough preorders for Wrath of Olympus for mass production to begin and the multiple delays and setbacks with other projects made people far less optimistic. But thinking only one will be left in 2016 seems too extreme. Let's list the different actors:

1) Established Major manufacturers - with a factory and know record:
    - Stern
    - JJP

2) Soon to join the Major manufacturers club (with an assembly line):
    - Heighway - you may argue that with their Bacardi game they already belong to #1. Can't wait to see pictures of FT and Aliens being assembled!
    - Dutch Pinball (they must have a factory - pictures would be great)

3) Special case:
    - PPS / Chicago gaming: one game produced - assembled by Stern

4) Boutique makers which already produced a pin - few employees:
    - Spooky

5) Other makers - some of them at the boutique level, others aiming at large scale:
    - Circus Maximus Group
    - HomePin
    - Riot Pinball - don't give up hope!
    - Quetzal Pinball / Nemo - multiple delays but still optimistic
    - Zidware / JPOP
    - Multimorphic / P3 - hopefully they will be able to "mass produce" P3!

6) Have not heard of them for a long time - any news?:
    - Wrath of Cthulhu
    - Timeshock

7) DOA - actually Dead before Arrival
    - Vonnie-D
    - Skit-B

Thinking a single name will be left among categories #1-6 seems ultra pessimistic / unrealistic. Add to that that that Stern, JJP and Spooky were willing to assemble games designed externally and you still have a rich ecosystem...

However, Thinking #7 list will not grow is ultra optimistic / unrealistic.

#347 9 years ago

Despite all the drama, I have to admit that I have had the same thought running through my head. I sent an e-mail to Coast2Coast Pinball back in December when everything was going down at Dutch Pinball and Heighway, while Spooky still hadn't sold their allotment. I wondered whether anyone could break through. Spooky has the best chance after killing it at the Texas Pinball Festival, but they've only done one machine, are having to re-theme the second and still have to survive another 12-16 months after that. By no means is it a given. As has been mentioned, everyone else is running three months to three YEARS late. I'm just a little worried. People keep talking about not having any more room. People keep talking about having thousands tied up in pre-orders and existing machines in large collections. If the economy were to have a hiccup, I'd think funds would shift over to cheaper, older games once prices fell due to multiple sell-offs. Who knows how long any of these companies can survive if that were to be the case?

#348 9 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

At the end of the day though you have picked the wrong people

It's not exactly hard to see the first engineers, especially the first electrical engineer, screwed the pooch pretty badly.

Their mistake with the LEDs alone probably cost JJP several hundred thousand dollars.

#349 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Their mistake with the LEDs alone probably cost JJP several hundred thousand dollars.

Their terrible bloated PC based system in JJP machines costs them $$$ on each machine they sell and holds them back from a profitability and manufacture-ability standpoint. According to the initial posts from years back, the plan was to design a dedicated JJP pinball system like Williams and Stern before them. When you can't even design simple LED boards an embedded system architecture would have been way out of reach. In contrast they could have gone with an off the shelf system like P-ROC and been a whole lot better off.

Stern is sitting pretty with the new embedded SPIKE system. It can do everything a JJP machine can do including stereo sound and multiple LCD displays, but at a much lower cost, and much less labor to assemble. Every penny counts when you multiply it by thousands of machines. We all know how cheap Stern is when it comes to leaving out things like knockers and playfield rails, but it has kept them in the game and producing great machines when the economy and pinball market both spiked low at the same time years ago. Now that they have competition, they are positioned to produce games with the same or better features as the competition but at a lower cost/higher profit. The new factory and manufacturing the remakes and games like Melons also helps the bottom line and shows they embrace competition and play well with others to produce something more meaningful than dick plastics.

#350 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not exactly hard to see the first engineers, especially the first electrical engineer, screwed the pooch pretty badly.

Agreed, everything seems obvious with hindsight. I try not to be too hard on any one person or even company; after all I am perfect right and would be doing it 1000% better! (this last part sarcasm FWIW).

I don't envy Jack for having to straighten out some of the stuff that must have gone wrong-ish, and I don't think anybody discounts the amount of re-engineering The Hobbit has gone through since Expo (almost a whole new game sounds about right if you put the pics side by side...).

I am more skeptical than some, but I am still looking forward to (hopefully!) seeing a Hobbit at the Northwest Pinball and Gameroom show. Less than two months away, I can't wait!

There are 610 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/18-months-one-pinball-manufacture-will-be-left/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.