(Topic ID: 97595)

18 gauge twisted copper wire rope, tinned to accept solder.

By Skypilot

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by BorgDog
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5509.jpg
    IMG_5507.jpg
    IMG_5508.jpg
    93-115.jpg
    IMG_0299.JPG
    photo.jpg
    Taxi 055.jpg
    imagesCAIB9XOB.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I realized Pinrestore has it by the foot. Anyone know where to get it by the roll?

#2 9 years ago

Bueller, anyone?

imagesCAIB9XOB.jpgimagesCAIB9XOB.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

I'd like to know this too. I've found things online that LOOK correct but not sure. I'd like to just have a nice big spool of it instead of buying by the foot.

#4 9 years ago

Dearborn Wire & Cable was a brand I've used in the past: type 818 (18 gauge) or 820 (20 gauge) stranded tinned non-insulated wire. Dearborn was bought by Alpha Wire, and Alpha may have discontinued or relabeled that product line.

#5 9 years ago

I bought a huge spool on ebay for way cheaper than a pinball reseller. I forget the seller name, but i am sure it is still there.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I bought a huge spool on ebay for way cheaper than a pinball reseller. I forget the seller name, but i am sure it is still there.

If you can find that again, please let us know!

#7 9 years ago

Found the email confirmation. I bought 1000ft for $39 shipped. Stranded 22 awg. I got green color, but came in a bunch of different options.

acdcelectricparts is the ebay seller name
    ebay # 350697759640

#8 9 years ago

I'm looking for bare wire,tinned. The wire used on the underside of playfields for GI in system 11 games

Taxi 055.jpgTaxi 055.jpg
    #10 9 years ago

How about this. The seller has it in various wire gauges, 199ft rolls (60m)

ebay.com link: 18 AWG Gauge Tinned Copper Wire Buss Wire 1 0 lbs 199 Length 0 0403 Silver

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

How about this. The seller has it in various wire gauges, 199ft rolls (60m)
    ebay.com link » 18 Awg Gauge Tinned Copper Wire Buss Wire 1 0 Lbs 199 Length 0 0403 Silver

That looks like solid wire. It needs to be stranded.

It's like there is always ONE thing wrong about everything I find!

#12 9 years ago

I've always wondered if anyone's ever tried solid core buss wire for a GI run. This stuff is way more common than bare stranded tinned wire, though not sure I'd ever use it as it wouldn't look original.

#13 9 years ago

I don't believe soldering solid wire would be strong enough. JMO

#14 9 years ago

I bought the Dearborn stuff years ago through Anixter...seems it was like pulling teeth to get at the time. If you are using an air stapler without a depth setting, cut the pressure back a bit so it doesn't break the wire.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I realized Pinrestore has it by the foot. Anyone know where to get it by the roll?

We've got perhaps 1.5M feet of it in Bloomington, original wms pinball wire 18 and 22 gauge, various colors, etc. Spools are very large 5000' rolls ... tinned copper, not sure what all colors are there (striped, etc).

If interested, let me know.

[email protected]

#17 9 years ago

I hope others will be able to find this at a reasonable price. I fortunately live near an old school pinball godfather.Thanks Mike P and Alvin G

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    #18 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

We've got perhaps 1.5M feet of it in Bloomington, original wms pinball wire 18 and 22 gauge, various colors, etc. Spools are very large 5000' rolls ... tinned copper, not sure what all colors are there (striped, etc).

[email protected]

Any chance you could break it down to smaller quantities, say 10, 20, or 50 foot lengths for example? I'd love to get my hands on some but have no use for such a large quantity.

thanks!
    Andre

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

[email protected]

Hopefully you can make this available in smaller quantities Rick. Perhaps custom lenghts or a few different lengths, I know I'd buy some if you can make it available.

#20 9 years ago

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

Search for "18 wire" if you want the 18 gage available color choices.

10ft lengths

#21 9 years ago

BAA doesnt seem to have the 18ga ground braid?

#22 9 years ago

sorry, this is tinned copper wire with a plastic jacket on it ... but if that is interesting then we can certainly sell in 100, etc foot lengths for discount.

rick

#23 9 years ago

Is it stranded Rick, or solid core? If it's stranded it would be fine. The end users can either strip it or you could have it stripped prior to sale (tedious job).

The only catch is, if it is stranded, it needs to be tinned together, so that each stranded is stuck to the next, rather than slight rolling twist, otherwise it may separate when stripping the outer sheath and cause a birds nest mess.

#24 9 years ago

it's stranded for sure. Original wms with wms part #'s on it.

rick

#25 9 years ago

I'd be interested in some Rick. Depending on the price a few 100' to 500'. Pic of it would be cool too, if you could.

#26 9 years ago

I will likely have it on a truck this weekend and would prefer to sell in 100, 250, 500, 1000 foot increments.

I have to figure out a 'fair' price for it that people would pay per foot ... you can always give me your input on that and I will see what I can do.

rick

#27 9 years ago

I would be interested if anyone can find it. Doing a taxi playfield soon and will need some.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

I will likely have it on a truck this weekend and would prefer to sell in 100, 250, 500, 1000 foot increments.

I have to figure out a 'fair' price

Again

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH
    Search for "18 wire" if you want the 18 gage available color choices.
    10ft lengths

I believe that's stranded aluminum wire. Not tinned copper. They also carry 22 gauge stranded aluminum.

I'd use the stranded aluminum in a heartbeat, but I understand why some folks want it all original.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

sorry, this is tinned copper wire with a plastic jacket on it ... but if that is interesting then we can certainly sell in 100, etc foot lengths for discount.
    rick

Sorry, I'm slightly confused. This description sounds like it's describing insulated stranded tinned copper wire, which is readily available from thousands of sources. Rick, can you please confirm whether you're talking about insulated wire or the bare wire used by pinball manufacturers for the GI bus?

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Sorry, I'm slightly confused. This description sounds like it's describing insulated stranded tinned copper wire, which is readily available from thousands of sources. Rick, can you please confirm whether you're talking about insulated wire or the bare wire used by pinball manufacturers for the GI bus?

Yes, it's stranded insulated tinned copper wire.

#32 9 years ago

Have a friend that is a gaming electronics whiz. He recommended upgrading the braids to 1/8" flat braid...similar to the ground braids, but narrower. Kiss was the first one I used it on. Lighting is very solid.

You can see some of it in the attached photo. Note I also put Molex plugs and major components to ease the swap and or remove components to work on.

IMG_0299.JPGIMG_0299.JPG
    #33 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I believe that's stranded aluminum wire. Not tinned copper. They also carry 22 gauge stranded aluminum.

I'd use the stranded aluminum in a heartbeat, but I understand why some folks want it all original.

Tinned copper *looks* like aluminum.

Real aluminum wire would probably cause some kind of galvanic corrosion like it does on antennas.

6 years later
    10 months later
    #35 2 years ago

Now that pinrestore has closed down, has anyone found a good supplier for this tinned copper wire?

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Now that pinrestore has closed down, has anyone found a good supplier for this tinned copper wire?

You mean this? https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1041-third-coast-pinball/00662-18ga-stranded-tinned-bare-wire

#38 2 years ago

Well thanks, it looks like I have a couple of options I didn’t know about.

1 year later
    #39 8 months ago

Anyone know where to get a good price on 250-500 feet rolls of this stuff? I used up my last roll of 250ft and now it is tough to find. The last time I bought it on Amazon in 2021 it was $31 for 250ft, but that seller is gone.

I can't find anything like it on AliExpress, but their search engine is garbage so its probably there somewhere.

#40 8 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Anyone know where to get a good price on 250-500 feet rolls of this stuff? I used up my last roll of 250ft and now it is tough to find. The last time I bought it on Amazon in 2021 it was $31 for 250ft, but that seller is gone.
    I can't find anything like it on AliExpress, but their search engine is garbage so its probably there somewhere.

Maybe this?
    The Wires Zone 18 Gauge AWG 500' Feet ft Stranded Primary Remote Wire Cable (Blue) https://a.co/d/bmIM3gI

#41 8 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Maybe this?
    The Wires Zone 18 Gauge AWG 500' Feet ft Stranded Primary Remote Wire Cable (Blue) https://a.co/d/bmIM3gI

Thanks, but I'm looking for 18 AWG uninsulated tinned copper stranded rope. It's the stuff used for ground wire under the playfield on System 11 games or in the backbox lamp panel, etc.

Picture here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/18-gauge-twisted-copper-wire-rope-tinned-to-accept-solder#post-1786200

#42 8 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Thanks, but I'm looking for 18 AWG uninsulated tinned copper stranded rope. It's the stuff used for ground wire under the playfield on System 11 games or in the backbox lamp panel, etc.
    Picture here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/18-gauge-twisted-copper-wire-rope-tinned-to-accept-solder#post-1786200

wirebot has it, but certainly not at the price you paid before. https://wirebot.xyz/products/18-awg-stranded-bus-wire

#43 8 months ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

wirebot has it, but certainly not at the price you paid before. https://wirebot.xyz/products/18-awg-stranded-bus-wire

Looks like that would at least be a little better than Third Coast...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1041-third-coast-pinball/00662-18ga-stranded-tinned-bare-wire

Can't hurt to ask for a bulk discount though.

#44 8 months ago

Yeah I can’t afford those guys unfortunately. This stuff should be $.20/ft max.

#45 8 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Yeah I can’t afford those guys unfortunately. This stuff should be $.20/ft max.

if you can find it at that price be sure to post back where it is.

#46 7 months ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

if you can find it at that price be sure to post back where it is.

I found some for under $0.20 a foot. I contacted them and they said this is 18AWG stranded and has 16 strands. My last roll (from eBay) was also 16 strands, as was the stuff I got from pinrestore.com.

This is 500ft for $98 shipped, 18/1 tinned copper. Note this is "rope" not flat braid.

https://www.payless-4-lighting.com/products/satco-93-115

93-115.jpg93-115.jpg

2 weeks later
    #47 7 months ago

Received the wire... good stuff, just what I needed.

IMG_5507.jpgIMG_5507.jpgIMG_5508.jpgIMG_5508.jpgIMG_5509.jpgIMG_5509.jpg
    #48 7 months ago

Thanks, just ordered a roll. I got two swaps that I need to do over the winter.

#49 7 months ago

How much do you need for one swap? I have a Gottlieb System 80 to do this winter.

#50 7 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Received the wire... good stuff, just what I needed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome, thanks for the update.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/18-gauge-twisted-copper-wire-rope-tinned-to-accept-solder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.