SDC10162.JPG
SDC10170.JPG
SDC10072.JPG
SDC10096.JPG
SDC10101.JPG
SDC10074.JPG
SDC10069.JPG
photo_1.JPG
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm just venting but what's the story? Is High Speed more of a keeper than the ratings suggest?
There are two for sale on Mr. Pinball, one on ebay, and craigslist? None that I've seen on craigslist around here. I don't blame people for holding onto them because I want one, but I say that's showin' HS some love. Any other pins where you are surprised how few you see for sale based on how many were produced?

#2 11 years ago

and only 173 pinsiders have them listed in their collections. There are 399 owners of MM and that is a 4400 unit run. I suspect alot of the high speeds are dead.

There's also a possibility that this is one of those cheaper games that non fanatical pinball owners (read: they only own one machine and don't live/eat/sleep pinball) have sitting in their basement, never to be sold or rarely thought about. Just a thought.

#3 11 years ago

Yeah it wierd. Maybe half got shipped over seas. I am sure a ton sitting in garages, storage, etc.

Like TAF sold 20k + and yes a few on Ebay always but rarely I see those on CL based on the number sold.

Its the mystery in pinball. Where do all these games go?

#4 11 years ago

Many High Speed's ended up in dumpsters.

#5 11 years ago

I think at least half of them were a victim of their own success, played until there was barely any paint on the playfield, then scrapped. I think this was the fate of a lot of Space Shuttle machines, too.

#6 11 years ago

Maybe because hs2 is so similar but has better sound and dmd graphics everyone stopped caring about the original? I myself may be a HS owner in a couple weeks (they are out there)

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I think at least half of them were a victim of their own success, played until there was barely any paint on the playfield, then scrapped. I think this was the fate of a lot of Space Shuttle machines, too.

That would not surprise me
I remember seeing a space shuttle only a few years old, the center of the playfield was bare wood the size of a hand

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe because hs2 is so similar but has better sound and dmd graphics everyone stopped caring about the original?

Everyone kisses HS2 ass around here like it's the pope...no one mentions HS much; other than me to say HS is better

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Many High Speed's ended up in dumpsters.

Yes, and two of them were put there by me after I striped the water damaged cabinets I saved from the place that first threw them out! A LOT of High Speeds ended up being parts machines because it was the first system 11 game and you can use it's MPU for every series of system 11 game: 11,11A,11B and 11C.

#10 11 years ago

Hs were played to death! Like above. Many were parted out.~SpOoKy

#11 11 years ago

In the late 80's you could not walk into an arcade without seeing HS. If you saw pins anywhere, pretty good chance there was a HS. They must have earned very well because they were everywhere and they stayed in those locations for years, meaning they got the snot played out of them.

Even still, there are a lot left and there are a lot in people's collections. The low numbers in Pinsider's collections is easy to understand, a huge number of people here think pinball was invented in 1992. Those people are not pinball fans.

#12 11 years ago

love for both

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG

#13 11 years ago

HS is an icon in pinball period.

First pinball to play a complete song.
First Williams pinball game to use alpha-numeric displays.
First use of Auto Percentaging (for replay scores).
First Jackpot available only during multiball.
First use of broken switch compensation programming.
First SS game with operator report.

I have owned HS and HS2. I now only have a restored HS and it took years to find one that was nice enough nearby. HS paved the way for what was to become the dmd era. It is a much better than HS2. Just like movie sequels, the original is always better.

mike

#14 11 years ago

I think your right. The dumpster.

I was in Tucson last week and saw a riverboat gambler. Cab looked great like new, PF was worn to wood. Look terrible.

Changing the balls every few months would have prevented most of this, at least I belive this.
One the balls get pitted its acclerates everything.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Everyone kisses HS2 ass around here like it's the pope...no one mentions HS much; other than me to say HS is better

Yep it is better. Anyone that has owned them both knows this. High Speed has a better light show, those cool 80's sounds, spinners, a real backglass, and just is a more fun game to own.

It is much easier to find a nice Getaway...so that is probably most of it. To have a nice High Speed takes more luck or restoration skill.

#16 11 years ago

I always sound like I'm anti-HS2, which really isn't it. If it exsisted without HS1 I wouldn't have anything to compare it with. I know I'm a broken record in saying this, but changing the side ramp shot to a side loop was the biggest mistake. Game doesn't play anywhere near as well.

#17 11 years ago

I don't think I ever saw a HS that wasn't worn to hell.And that was 20 years ago.

#18 11 years ago

Well, I must confess, I recently rescued one from a musty old shed, and it is fully working in my gameroom, but I haven't put it on my collection list yet because she is in rough shape cosmetically. I thought that once I get her restored, then I could warrant adding it to the collection (I don't really like the idea of "padding" my collection numbers by showing project pins I guess - just my preference.) Anyway, there's one more located!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm a big fan of HS2, but I'll give you credit. Had it not been for me discovering High Speed back when it was brand new and really enjoying it, I probably would be more so so on its sequal.

I played a High Speed for the first time in 25 years recently, and I still remembered the music!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Ring-Them-Bells:

and I still remembered the music!

\

Oh damn just mentioning it now it's stuck in mine!

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

\

Oh damn just mentioning it now it's stuck in mine!

Me too!!! lol

#22 11 years ago

I picked mine up 5 years ago for 250 bucks, not working. Took 3 years to just get it decent looking and playable, and the game is not going anywhere. Got the repro plastics, a NOS ramp, and am happily awaiting the run of the repro pfs

#23 11 years ago

Does anyone want to trade my HS for their HSII?

#24 11 years ago

There's one up for sale on San Diego Craigslist.

sandiego.craigslist.org link

#25 11 years ago

It's a great game. So well done. Tons of little details that make me happy every time I play it.

Mines in the middle of getting the treatment it deserves.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-full-restoration-started-whridlsoncestood-112512

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

It's a great game. So well done. Tons of little details that make me happy every time I play it.
Mines in the middle of getting the treatment it deserves.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-full-restoration-started-whridlsoncestood-112512

I've really been enjoying seeing your work on this game, you'll have something to be proud of when you are finished. I'm more than a little jealous.

#27 11 years ago

I have a very minty HS. All original bought back in 1990. Clean machine inside and out. Cabinet is still high gloss. The inside/outside looks new, The backglass is very nice with no bubbling/pealing etc. I recently put a set of brand new led displays in it and brand new legs, bolts, levelers. But other then that this machine is as minty original as they come. I would be willing to trade or sell out right. I have a couple pix now of it but the new legs and new displays are not installed yet in these pix. I can take more pix of it for interested partys. I wasn't even going to sell it yet but seen this thread and decided to put it out there.

SDC10069.JPGSDC10069.JPG SDC10074.JPGSDC10074.JPG SDC10101.JPGSDC10101.JPG

#28 11 years ago

i just picked one up second one since x mas in great shape unshopped pm me if intereested
Pincades
JT

#29 11 years ago

SDC10096.JPGSDC10096.JPG SDC10072.JPGSDC10072.JPG SDC10170.JPGSDC10170.JPG

#30 11 years ago

. SDC10070.JPGSDC10070.JPG SDC10073.JPGSDC10073.JPG SDC10162.JPGSDC10162.JPG

#31 11 years ago

SDC10164.JPGSDC10164.JPG SDC10528.JPGSDC10528.JPG

#32 11 years ago

wow, that is one nice HS

#33 11 years ago

I kept putting the heat on a friend to sell his HS to me since I got in the hobby, and he wouldn't budge on it. I finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse, since he was rarely playing it and he was more interested in some bikes. Technically I bought it for my wife as a Christmas present (she actually wrote it on her Christmas list!) , it has been a long time favorite of hers...this means you will likely never see this one for sale - at least for a long time.

#34 11 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize how lucky I was until now. I was chit chatting with an operator and asked if he had any machines for sale. He showed me 5 machines, mostly EM, but one was High Speed. I'm pretty sure I overpaid (it's probably a 7/10 condition), but when you gotta have it...

Maybe this tactic can work if you can still find one in the wild. As good as it is, it probably can't earn when placed near a Tron, Iron Man, and ACDC.

#35 11 years ago

this has been for sale near me for forever.... swv.craigslist.org link

#36 11 years ago

When i bought my HS a 6 months ago, here in NJ there were plenty for sale.
I saw about 1 different one local either on ebay or craigs per week.

Prices ranged from $550-$2500.

I got the sense too that it was a players game, wasn't really for collectors.
The well used ones that worked fine sold for around $1000, broken ones for like $750 and the one i got one that was a all screwed up for $450.

I enjoyed HS as a project, I'm in it as much as one that was in better condition, but now i know 1000% more about working on a machine than i did before.
Other good news is that because there is so many parts are fairly plentiful and there are tons of people to help with it.

#37 11 years ago

The HS I have is SOLD, thank you to all that emailed me about my HS.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

this has been for sale near me for forever.... swv.craigslist.org link

silonoid's are hard to come by theses days...

I have 2, one has a unique playfield (someone painted it), that one I think needs displays....

Waiting on a playfield for it...

Speaking of # of games made vs where are they now/why not more for sale, what about TAF???

#39 11 years ago

HS has spinners. If only HS2 had spinners as well...

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Yup, They were played to the wood then junked.
Really nice examples are hard to find and go for top dollar when they do pop up.
I sold mine and all the NOS parts I collected up when the repro PFs never happened.
I will buy another one if a nice example should pop up in my area, most of the ones I have seen are worse than the one I sold.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

wow, that is one nice HS

Ditto, it even has the proper legs.

#42 11 years ago

seems weird like that- sometimes there are none for some time (usually when your loooking for one), then you see severial show up all over at once (usually right after you bought it) and are not looking for it any more. just seems like that

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

then you see severial show up all over at once (usually right after you bought it) and are not looking for it any more.

Or any good deal on a game as soon as you buy one...100 times out of 100!

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Yup, They were played to the wood then junked.
Really nice examples are hard to find and go for top dollar when they do pop up.
I sold mine and all the NOS parts I collected up when the repro PFs never happened.
I will buy another one if a nice example should pop up in my area, most of the ones I have seen are worse than the one I sold.

Start looking for another HS, the repro PFs are in CNC programming right now! I am super excited for this, been waiting for years!

#45 11 years ago

I hate to say I found a reasonably nice one in a guys basement by his coal stove for cheap. Other than being covered in the grey soot it was in reasonably good shape, cabinet is a bit beat, but the thing is mostly black so touch up seems pretty easy, the playfield is what I really care about and it appears to have had full mylar from day one.

Now if I can only get the game to work, sad no repros of the MPU are being made. The board will fully boot and show a "0" on the LED, when I press SW2 it turns to an "8" then back to "0" like it is suppose to, but the game will not go into attract mode. Nothing works, ever, from the time I turn it on, only the GI comes on and that is it. No solenoids fire, no sound of any kind, no displays.

The test point voltages on power supply are right one, all fuses are good. I am thinking a trace or two in the battery acid damage area were broken on the MPU, it did have some acid damage. I have printed out Clay's list of chips and what each leg traces to, but it takes so long to got through them all, I am about 1.5 pages into the 10 pages. I have only found one questionable one, I get continuity, but it is marginal, so I will put in a jumper on that trace. Can anyone guide me as to which chip I should be focusing on? What would let the MPU test good, but still not let anything work/go into attract mode. Am I missing something obvious that is not the MPU?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Start looking for another HS, the repro PFs are in CNC programming right now! I am super excited for this, been waiting for years!

I already fell for that once and waited years, not going to happen a second time.

#47 11 years ago

What are you asking for it?

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I already fell for that once and waited years, not going to happen a second time.

I have been waiting since 2007 or 2008 myself, so I understand

#49 11 years ago

I went to see one on CL a while back for $550. The playfield was beat to hell, beyond simple repair, and it was someone who just bought cheap at one time, had in basement for years. I think this is where many are. I walked away based on the playfield wear.

#50 11 years ago

yup, PF wear seems to be all too common on these. i have a friend who has one in her record store. decent amount of PF wear, cracked up plastics abound, and has some error that prevents it from starting up, even in free play (guessing it's a kick out solenoid issue???) if it wasn't the fact that she's a good friend, i'd try to bargaining a little more for it. also, after two fixer upper pins, it would be nice to get something i don't have to spend a bunch of time and money on fixing up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/17080-high-speed-pins-yet-hardly-any-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.