• 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-638.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

...I drove down there from Nashvillle and spent most of the day with them, fixing the problem, getting their machine dialed in, and showing them how to diagnose and fix future problems. ..

Did you do it for free like the distributors are expected to?

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I believe that the numbers you quote are closer to Stern numbers. Since JJP mandates no discounts, the margin is much higher from the numbers I have seen. Regardless, it is all about the stipulations in the distributor contract as far as support that they must provide. We are not privy to those terms. I just believe that you support what you sell, even if it means taking a loss now and then. If the profits from other sales don't make up for those losses, then it is time to terminate the agreement. If Dale has sold 167 WOZs, then the profit would justify his support I would think.
You and I will disagree on the WOZ gameplay as it is my favorite by far. That said, you are an operator, and a damn good one. I respect your opinion.

And you aren't in the business, so let me introduce you to my friend, Jack Shit.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

That is one of the most illogical questions I have seen. So, according to your train of thought, a pinball owner who supports the community should drive 1.5 hours each way and spend a day fixing a pinball problem ... and somehow feel obligated to do this for free. I made no money on the sale and am in a "business" that is not even tangentially related to pinball. I would love to hear your argument on how I should do this for free even though I am not related to the transaction.
I did it as a favor to Jack and he took care of my expenses. My family decided to make a day of it in Chattanooga as it is a great place to visit. I also hate to hear of a newbie in pinball that is struggling and wanted to help. I have no desire to be involved in the pinball industry. There are wonderful people on this site that are helping others. I just wanted to do my small part in supporting the community.
Is that so hard to believe? I'd bet you would do the same if given the opportunity.

You completely missed my point. What I am trying to say is that getting paid to do a service call is a lot different than supporting a $7500 product that you might have made a few hundred on. You are slamming rlevin for not supporting the machine, but it sounds like he already made a few trips out on that sale. It seems like you expect the distributors to take a win some, lose some position on selling brand new products. This would cut their profit margins down to under 3%.

That's my point entirely. Manufacturers can take their 3% and shove it. They are welcome to call me and pay my shop rate to go and fix their problems.... just like you.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I think there was more to it than this, but I can't speak to that issue. Regardless, there was no reason for the customer to be placed in the middle of this, and I saw Jack make every effort to address the issue and solve the problem. I have owned several businesses and would never leave a customer in the lurch regardless of whose responsibility it was. My name was behind my sales, and I was not going to dirty it for something like this; my reputation is worth more than that.

Then start distributing pinballs, bigshot! This has been my point the whole time. Distributing new pinball machines is for the birds. Tiny margins backed up by tons of service. Yay!

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

He can double my pay every day for the next ten years and it still won't be $75 an hour.
And just to be clear most of the people I help are first time buyers and NOT pinheads. I spend hours upon hours on the phone with them to fix even the simplest of problem all the while explaining to them how to troubleshoot in the future because that's what customer service is about.

So you support pinball machines for zero pay. What is wrong with this picture. I have a pile of junker EM's you could come by and fix for me if you are bored.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I do more than just support for free. I do core development and platform engineering too. FOR FREE. And I'm damn proud of it too. I will continue to do so until such time that it is no longer needed. And then I'll still help on my own personal time. I love what I do and I love pinball. It isn't my source of income so I made a conscious decision to help out a new pinball company that I had no prior dealings or experience with because I saw an opportunity to assist in furthering their amazing product. Who wouldn't want to be part of that? Not many would take a leap of faith like that and invest potentially thousands of hours into something but after meeting Jack and the team it was obvious for me.

Have you opensourced your work if you are doing it for love of the game? I'm just curious.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

My opinion of you just changed completely. Good on ya mate.

Me, too. This is a creepy stalker kind of vibe that totally creeps me out. Please put me on your ignore list, pinchroma. At least LTG is in the bidness and has an understandable reason for what he does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/17-wozs-sold-17-had-to-work-on-right-out-of-the-box?tu=sadsack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.