1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by slghokie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phoerber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I just resurrected a -17 MPU and all is working fine with the exception of the credit display data showing up identically on the Player 3 display. U20, pins 2,7,9, and 11 are the display latch strobes. The U20 chip is socketed and it looks like pin 2 (player 3 strobe) is crispy at the solder pad despite continuity checking out ok. Checked for short between pin 2 & 11 (credit display), none. There's nothing obvious like solder splash and unfortunately I can't read what type of chip this is, but manual says hex buffer 14502 (B) or (8)? Can't tell.

I swapped the PIA's, no change. I have 2 other working -17 MPU's where this is not happening, so def on the board.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from slghokie:

I have something similar on a Flash Gordon where player 2 mirrors player one. I tried PIA's as well but no change. Got a new connector to repin and see if it is the crappy push in connector for displays causing it. Have not had a chance to try. Otherwise it has to be one of the display chips on the MPU or bad components in the path to display connector.

Agree 100%, I will let you know if I solve - please do the same. My issue is definitely on the MPU.

1 week later
    #7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Quench:

An open circuit on the player #3 latch signal causes it to float high at that displays 4543 decoder chip. It results in that display accepting all binary coded data written to any display. Since the Credit/Ball in Play display is written last in the refresh sequence, that's what you'll end up seeing on the player #3 display.
    If you're saying pin 2 (display latch #3) on U20 looks crispy, the outputs for that pin in the chip might be blown out. Any standard 4502 logic chip should be suitable.

Thanks Dick and Quench - I will have time this weekend to report back, sorry for the late reply, it's been a week.... More to come!

#8 1 year ago

Solved. Bad U20, thankfully it was socketed (that never happens!!) Appreciate the help Quench, Dick H, and all!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phoerber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/17-era-bally-mpu-duplicate-display-data-issue?tu=Phoerber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.