• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Batcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A2J1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I Just noticed on my spidey, the first two pins of A2J1 call for 16 guage wires, but all of the .156" molex pins i've seen only say they go to 18 guage, just wondering what everyone is using for these?

#2 4 years ago

Here's what I'm dealing with. Strange I don't see any pins available labelled as 16 AWG, so I'm guessing everyone is either just using the 18AWG crimp pins, or the manual is wrong and the wires are only 18 guage (havn't actually physically examined the wire, not sure that I could tell the difference).

A2J1 (resized).JPGA2J1 (resized).JPG
#4 4 years ago

Any idea how the rating on the 18AWG pins compare to the 16AWG wire spec?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, 16 AWG wire is used.
I think I just used the 18AWG pins.

#6 4 years ago

Wow, thanks for the great info Ed!

Quoted from G-P-E:

Molex does not and has never made contacts for 16AWG as far back as I can remember (going back through my Molex Full Line Catalogs beginning in about 1981). Largest was 18AWG.
Maximum you will get out of a single (non-paralleled) 18AWG contact is 7 amps. 18AWG is rated for up to 10 amps. 16 amps if not tightly packed but pinball machines count as 'tightly packed'.
You won't get this 10 amps out of a standard crimp contact -- 7 max... and realistically much less which is why the high current contacts were usually paralleled.
Theoretically, you can use the Molex MarKK156 contacts and get up to 13 amps with 18AWG but in real life it will still be less than that.
AMP does offer a 16AWG contact with their LID contacts such as 3-647485-1. But these are only rated up to 11 amps and requires special plugs.
My guess - they used 16AWG wire with 18AWG contacts. Not unusual for box designers to use larger than required wire for special wiring such as DC power where lower cabling loss is required.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, 16 AWG wire is used.
I think I just used the 18AWG pins.

Looks like I'm going to do the same.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/16-gauge-molex-crimp-pins?tu=Batcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.