(Topic ID: 101640)

16 Bit Bar + Arcade opens tonight - Lakewood, OH

By popeboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

16 Bit Bar + Arcade is finally opening today (Friday Aug 29th) at 4:00. I will be stopping in to check it out... although I imagine it will be mobbed tonight.

#2 9 years ago

I'm planning to check it out next week. 16-bit Columbus does a nice job with their pins, so hopefully the same will be true at the Lakewood spot.

Also keep an eye out for Happy Dog reopening the Euclid Tavern in University Circle next month. There will be 5 pins in the lineup there and it will be one of the locations of the Cleveland Pinball League starting in mid Sept.

#3 9 years ago

any pinball, or just arcade games?

#4 9 years ago

both. know alot of people going up tonight. nice to see a comeback in the clev area with arcades

#5 9 years ago

Anyone know if they will check for IDs upon entry or will it be like the B-Side? Because I'm under 21 but I'd like to check it out if I get a chance.

#6 9 years ago

5 pins - TSPP, AFM, RS, FT, Tommy

The one in Columbus definitely checks IDs. Also, every time I've been to B-Side there is someone checking IDs at the top of the steps.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

The one in Columbus definitely checks IDs. Also, every time I've been to B-Side there is someone checking IDs at the top of the steps.

good to know, I wonder if under 21 u could get in before a certain hour with out any issues

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

I came for the project pinball so I guess that must've been an exception that day. Darn.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Anyone know if they will check for IDs upon entry or will it be like the B-Side?

You are a high roller from Avon.. just grease some palms at the door.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I came for the project pinball so I guess that must've been an exception that day. Darn.

Oh hey, I think we faced each other on Avengers! Did you say you play in the Kidforce league?

That day was probably an exception by circumstance at B-Side. They opened early that day to host the tournament and probably just weren't staffed for a door guy.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Oh hey, I think we faced each other on Avengers! Did you say you play in the Kidforce league?
    That day was probably an exception by circumstance at B-Side. They opened early that day to host the tournament and probably just weren't staffed for a door guy.

Yup that was me! And yeah that makes sense, I thought it was kind of odd how I was able to walk right in without question. Anyways I'll just stick to Kidforce. I love that these Barcades are showing up and bringing pinball back but I don't like that I can't get in.

#12 9 years ago

I'll probably stop by there tonight to check it out. Games are said to be on free play. Also probably stop at the ol' Happy Dog.

#13 9 years ago

Wiz! The arcade games are all free play, but the pins are 50 cents. I'm actually glad the pins aren't free because they would just get thrashed quicker.

#14 9 years ago

LOL.. yup. Hey Juan. 20 or so craft beers too. Probably 7 bucks a pop.

Hopefully way better than that other place on the east side.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Anyways I'll just stick to Kidforce.

Kidforce is a great league! I'll be rejoining for the upcoming fall season.

Also consider the upcoming Cleveland Pinball League which will be taking place between three locations - Happy Dog, Euclid Tavern and B-Side. Happy Dog doesn't have an age restriction to play there, and I assume the same will be true at Euclid Tavern when they open next month. Stay in the loop here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HAPPYDOGPINBALL/

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Kidforce is a great league! I'll be rejoining for the upcoming fall season.
    Also consider the upcoming Cleveland Pinball League which will be taking place between three locations - Happy Dog, Euclid Tavern and B-Side. Happy Dog doesn't have an age restriction to play there, and I assume the same will be true at Euclid Tavern when they open next month. Stay in the loop here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HAPPYDOGPINBALL/

Thanks for the info! Happy Dog has been on my radar and was planning on doing their league this spring/summer but couldn't make it at that day/time. Is this new Cleveland Pinball league going to replace the old Happy Dog one?

#17 9 years ago

Yep! It's going to absorb the Happy Dog league and reach out a little more. Between the 3 locations, you'll pick one place to compete each week. It starts up the week of Sept 15, so more info will be popping up on the FB page soon. Stay tuned!

#18 9 years ago

We don't need more leagues. Between kidsforce, and Stonehenge if you aren't happy enough with those leagues then good luck. Good pins and people at both.

Don and Marvin can send my endorsement check to my paypal account. Thanks.

#19 9 years ago

Haha. Like Don always says, "The more pinball the better!"

#20 9 years ago

Yeah I agree with having more. Plus Stonehenge is too far away for me to consider going to for league so having two local options will be nice. Plus more games!

#21 9 years ago

On facebook they do mention 21 and over only, but that they will announce special days where underage players will be allowed.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

We don't need more leagues. Between kidsforce, and Stonehenge if you aren't happy enough with those leagues then good luck.

and BPA, right?

Euclid Tavern and Happy Dog are both family-friendly and welcome players of all ages.

I was going to check out 16-bit tonight (pins by Tom and Therese Edwards of the Columbus 16-bit, good peeps), but I feel like it's going to be packed-to-the-back with lakewood party-drunks for the opener and probably any weekend night, which I can only deal with if I'm equally drunk. I'll be heading up on a weekday soon though to crush all the high scores

Side Quest "geek bar" is also having it's grand opening in Lakewood tomorrow night. http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/08/opening_of_new_side_quest_bar.html
    They only have one pin, but it's a Joust! Seems like a cool place to go for people that like to play Magic, Settlers of Catan, etc..

Cleveland Pinball League is going to be lots of fun!
    www.clevelandpinballleague.com
    Love playing at Kidforce and Stonehedge too. You will find really nice and interesting quirky people at any of these places. I love that there are so many opportunities to play competitive pin in CLE now, and I'm proud to be part of it.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Vanapult:

Side Quest "geek bar" is also having it's grand opening in Lakewood tomorrow night. http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/08/opening_of_new_side_quest_bar.html
    They only have one pin, but it's a Joust! Seems like a cool place to go for people that like to play Magic, Settlers of Catan, etc..

That is cool, didn't know they would have a pinball... And although I have seen a Joust at a show, I have never played it. I'm intrigued to see what kind of crowd they will pull in there for sure.

#24 9 years ago

I went up to Lakewood 16-bit this afternoon.

A few things....

They DO check ID at the door, but I heard something about being open to families during the day on Sunday.

The place was pretty crowded this afternoon, granted they just opened and it is a holiday weekend. It was also a different type of crowd I was expecting, but again this could be because of the time I was there.

It was smaller than I was expecting, if its anything like the Columbus location, it will be packed weekend nights.

IMHO, the pins are in a pretty bad location within the bar. They are up along the left wall on the way to the bathroom, with the bar on the right. Pretty much a bottleneck and a very high traffic area. Everyone today was very kind, but I was bumped into multiple times and asked to move so people could get by (and my pin-stance is pretty conservative!). On busy nights it will probably be very crowded near the pins. (for the KF veterans, it was kinda like where BSD and Congo used to be at the old store location).

As far as the machines themselves, they were all working and in nice condition. There was a line of playfield lights (right ramp) out on AFM, and FT has one lightning flipper and one normal flipper. Other than that, everything else was really good.

#25 9 years ago

I might head up there sometime this week to check it out. Do they have food, or just drinks? Too bad about the setup for the pins. At least at the old KF location when you were playing BSD or congo you didn't have to worry too much about a lot of people trying to get through.

#26 9 years ago

Went up on labor day around 6:30 and it wasn't too full. Crowd was about what I expected for my 'hood, a mix of hipsters and gaming fans. They definitely put some money into the remodel. Place looked great with lots of cool retro themed art. I would agree that the pins were awkwardly placed, definite choke point on the way to the bathrooms.
    Overall I was a fan and will be going back for sure.
    I'll see how busy it is on a weekend night this Saturday. Lakewood is having a big, outdoor beer and wine fest that ends at 10:00, so I'm sure we will be heading down to 16 bit for a few cocktails and games afterward.

Quoted from trudert9:

Do they have food, or just drinks?

Just drinks, but like a couple of other Lakewood bars, you are welcome to bring in your own food from any of the (many) surrounding restaurants.

#27 9 years ago

Heading up to Ohio in a week or 2, will need to check this 16 bit bar out. What is the address?
    Also will be checking out the Berea bar that has pins, maybe the Akron place, too.
    Any help with pinball locations, appreciated.
    Bob

#28 9 years ago

I know there used to be a list, but my search did not find it. Here is what I have so far.

Happy Dog - 5801 Detroit Ave, Cleveland, OH 44102

Stonehedge Fun Center - Akron, Ohio

16 Bit Bar - Lakewood, Ohio

_______ - Berea, Ohio

#29 9 years ago

Bob- kidforce in berea isn't a bar. It's a comic book store, but it's still the best place to play. 16 bit is at 15012 Detroit ave in Lakewood. Stonehedge in Akron is also top notch.

#30 9 years ago

If you're doing a tour...here's places not mentioned with a couple games but PMNBW (pins may not be working)

B-side - Euclid Hts Blvd - Cleve Hts
    Bottlehouse - Lee Rd Cleve Hts
    Super Electric - near west side old Hallmark Bld Detroit and W 102 or something open Tues night and 3rd Fri of month.

#31 9 years ago

Thanks truert9, I know there has to be a few more places to play, but good start. I'll be staying at my mas' in Parma Hts. and my brothers in Brunswick.

#32 9 years ago

I'm just a few minutes from Brunswick. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or if you want to meet up somewhere.

Nick

#33 9 years ago

I drove by last night around 11:30 and the place was PACKED.

#34 9 years ago

I stopped in for a bit last night between 11-1 and it was busy, but not packed. The place looks awesome. They did a really nice job with the renovations.

The video games were all occupied, but I did manage to play a few games of Robotron and Pole Position.

I can see how the location of the pins would be cramped on a busy night, but there was plenty of room to play. All games are 50 cents and are pretty friendly with replays and matches.

TSPP - Modded out with lots of figures (Lisa's head blocks the upper left flipper) and has the longest ball save I've ever seen. Plays easy. Bring a jacket because the A/C blows directly on you the whole time.
    Tommy - Plays great!
    Fish Tales - Regular left flipper, lightning right flipper. Definitely makes it hard to get into the groove of crossing the ramps. Goes straight to tilt, no warnings!
    AFM - One of the better Attacks I've ever played. Flippers are strong and the tilt setting is just right. Tractor Beam lights are all currently out, so keep track of your cow shots toward TA. Flippers could be aligned better, but I'm being nitpicky.
    Road Show - Only played a quick game on it, but it seems fine. Tilt is super tight.

Now go take my scores off the chalkboard.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/16-bit-bar-arcade-opens-tonight-lakewood-oh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.