(Topic ID: 227631)

$1.6 BILLION dollars

By SilverUnicorn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3547 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The winnings went from one billion to one point six billion -- does that mean 600 million dollars was spent on lottery tickets over a span of a couple days?
    That's almost like every person in the country buying one!

It's actually the NPV (Net Present Value) of the (in this case), estimated sales until the selling cut-off for the next draw. But, government lotteries typically pay half of what the odds are and keep the other half for payments to funding stuff, administrative fees, travel boondoggles etc.

#82 5 years ago

You never know. Statistically, any one of us with a valid ticket has a chance at winning....

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I would imagine these are border towns. Many in CA drive to NV or AZ border towns to buy their tickets since CA doesn't participate. A former CA resident and coworker was telling me about it yesterday.

Let me be the first to inform you and your coworker that California has carried both the Mega millions and Power Ball lotteries for many years.

The typical long lines are found in inter-City locations.

Years ago, when Michigan only offered "The Big Game" which is now called Mega Millions, I would drive to Angola, Indiana for Powerball tickets when the jackpots were higher than the odds of winning. Usually I'd play $10 or $20 worth. Only a few players ahead of me at the Liquor store closest to the Indiana Toll Road closest to the East Gate.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

That is an astounding revelation, thank you for that clarification. Clearly I was..... oh wait who gives a shit.....

And for more trivia, Nevada & Utah do not offer these games.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

participating
    Fun (or discouraging) facts:

There are over 302 million possible combinations of numbers
    Something like 280 million tickets were sold for last Friday's drawing. Assuming everyone that played bought 20 tickets each, thats 14 million people who thought they were going to win.
    There have been 24 or 25 Mega millions drawings since the last time someone won it all

Some of the anonymous trust names of previous winners are pretty funny:

$142 million won by the ABC XYZ Trust with a ticket purchased in Moraine, Ohio
    $451 million won by Secret 007, LLC, of Port Richey, Fla.
    $49 million won by the It Will Buy Me a Boat Revocable Trust of Rockwall, Texas
    June 27, 2014 - $33 million won by the 6-27-14 Revocable Trust of Houston, Texas

I bought three tickets for six bucks.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Negating the mental entertainment value, by my rough estimation at the current odds it makes mathematical sense to buy 2-3 tickets.

Exactly why I bought three.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

The name thing change won't work, its been tried Your last idea about saying you won only a million is pretty good. But it still won't work. Everyone will know the winning ticket was bought in your area, they will figure out it was you.

I travel for work. I try to buy them away from home.

#121 5 years ago

Sold through The South Carolina Education Lottery....

#125 5 years ago

At least Oregon mentions the obvious on their billboards....

IMAG3547 (resized).jpgIMAG3547 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/16-billion-dollars?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.