8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by SuperDaveOsbourn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG3547 (resized).jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

51,845 pinsiders x $6000 (Stern pro + shipping) = $311,070,000.
    You'd still have a couple hundred million left over.

You're thinking too small... You can buy Stern Pinball itself with the jackpot.

#52 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I never understand why people daydream about billion dollar payouts but just can’t get excited about a $10 million lotto ticket.

For those of us who like to take the fun out of such things, $1.6B is probably pretty close to positive expected value compared to the same odds at 10M payout.

#53 8 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

51,845 pinsiders x $6000 (Stern pro + shipping) = $311,070,000.
    You'd still have a couple hundred million left over.

I’m sure you could get a bulk deal break on the price.

#54 8 months ago

I just want a bride of pinbot. I'll spend the rest on guns and a wall

#55 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ll buy pinside

I’ll buy pinball, as in every legit Us manufacturer, use jjp’s talent in sterns warehouse and ask pinside which themes they want next...then bang those out for $5k a piece for a write off

#56 8 months ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Wait, who wouldn't be happy winning $600k cash?

You had originally said “just” as happy winning 1m vs grand prize. There’s a huge difference in happy levels bw the two of you ask me

#57 8 months ago

You win that much money, you and your family better change names and temporarily move to another country.

... and buy everyone on pinside something cool

#58 8 months ago

If you win, do you give your two weeks notice?

#59 8 months ago

With $1.6 billion I’ll be snorting lines of coke off Scarlett Johansson’s bare ass, wondering how the other half lives.

#60 8 months ago

Plastic straw ?

#61 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It's actually the NPV (Net Present Value) of the (in this case), estimated sales until the selling cut-off for the next draw. But, government lotteries typically pay half of what the odds are and keep the other half for payments to funding stuff, administrative fees, travel boondoggles etc.

I knew there had to be some sort of formula. . . thanks for the info.

I've always had the mindset that I'd rather be rich than famous -- winning the lottery can often bring the wrong kind of fame with it. I'm going back to the 250K thread now that I know how to invest it .

I do hope that whomever wins does some good with the money.

#62 8 months ago

When the lotto got big a couple years ago there was a story about how many stories tell you about the downfalls of winning, but their story was about those who've succeeded after winning.

It was a very good piece. Families who've started their own successful businesses, people who've started charities, and some who've continued to live their lives as normal.

So winning the lottery is not a curse. It's just how you handle it.

#63 8 months ago

They had some pretty good tv shows a while back about lottery winners. One series was about the ones where it all went bad. A surprising number ended up very bad, such as with the winner dead or in jail. Most just ended up with all of the money being gone within an astonishingly short amount of time. I like the ones that win 40 million and then immediately buy a 10 million dollar house in Palm Beach. They have no clue how money works, I think basically they think it will last forever and would it be impossible to spend it all. But oh, you can spend all that money.

Another show was about some people where it came out generally well. They showed the nice (but reasonable) custom dream homes they built and talked about the things they did with the money, often involving helping others.

Now the really smart ones.... those are the ones no one ever hears about. They get the money and they somehow disappear completely off the map.

Another interesting thing about being an anonymous lottery winner, it’s not so easy even if you have taken the winnings anonymously. It’s gonna be pretty obvious to a lot of people if 2 weeks after the lottery winner is announced as being from your general area you quit your job, buy a big fancy house, and are driving around in a Ferrari. And once one or two people know, you might as well count on the whole world knowing. If you want to keep your win a secret from everyone, including family (who are the biggest problem area), you are gonna have to play it cool for some time. Play it cool and work a sneaky sneaky plan to eventually disappear to your secret island.

#64 8 months ago

I recommend reading a book called "The Winner" by David Baldacci.

#65 8 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I wonder if I could buy a Silver Unicorn?

if not, with that much money you can probably genetically create one

#66 8 months ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

If you win, do you give your two weeks notice?

Yeah I would.

And then probably quit the second anybody did or said anything that slightly annoyed me at work. (so like 20 minutes later).

#67 8 months ago

Some insight on winning big money and safely investing without losing your shirt.
    Short video about Powerball with Kevin O'Leary from Sharktank.

-Mike

#68 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I win I’ll buy pinside and ban all my enemies.

You have enemies?

#69 8 months ago
    Quoted from hank35:

You have enemies?

You just made the list pal!!!

#71 8 months ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

Winning the lottery is often a curse, as strange as that may sound. Many lives have been wrecked because of it. Some winners have even committed suicide because they were so miserable. It introduces problems that people never even considered before they won. Once you have enough money to survive and be reasonably comfortable adding more often does more harm than good. It’s counterintuitive, like many things in life.
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4176128/powerball-jackpot-lottery-winners

I'll take my chances. For me, it's the same dream as always. Buy a bunch of land on a lake and build several nice, but not extravagant, houses for myself and close family. Probably a guest house or two for visiting friends. Then my major buy would be a great community center with social areas, group dining, small theater, game room, multipurpose gym, pool, etc. The extravagant things that many say they want in their dream house. I want those things to be accessible to family and friends, without them needing to come to my house. Plus, down the road, perhaps it just becomes a private homeowners group. Though 1.6 billion is "generational wealth".

Quoted from woody24:

Dreams dreams. One thing I'd be doing with some of that money is buying an old downtown warehouse building in a city that I figure out later. Use the freight elevator to haul my collection of muscle cars up to the second floor for storage and display. Then on another floor or section of that building, build the ultimate arcade. All the machines I played from the mid 80's to the 90's.

I think that sounds pretty cool. I had a similar idea about buying an old theater. Would be cool to combine the two and have the old theater and a brick warehouse-style building next to it to renovate into a barcade / sports bar. I'd keep it open to the public as a business, but have a special VIP section for myself and friends. I guess that depends on how close I want to live to a city, large enough to support a business like this.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I never understand why people daydream about billion dollar payouts but just can’t get excited about a $10 million lotto ticket.

For me, I know buying tickets is pretty pointless, but I like to have the "what if" dream once or twice a year, so I do so when the jackpots are huge.

#72 8 months ago

Ill buy everyone in this thread the machine of their choice. And I will be live streaming on my boss’ desk if you know what I’m saying.

#73 8 months ago

If I win it , all you that ever upvoted me get a Million !!

The downvoters get ........

Good luck to most of us.

#74 8 months ago

If I win I would hire a lawyer to keep my name confidential and find a big money adviser to where to safely hold my new money. I would continue work, pay off all debt my family has (including extended), buy a new Land Cruiser and find the nicest '66 Mustang I can quickly find within the first week, and work for awhile until I could figure out what we want to do. I will definitely get all those medical checkups while insured by employer to make sure I'm not dying.

Probably after a couple months, as long as health bill is okay, I leave work forever. We stay in house until we decide to relocate to wherever the heck we want, but have to figure out what's best our the kids. It would be a long process and very few people would know whats happening.

#75 8 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The winnings went from one billion to one point six billion -- does that mean 600 million dollars was spent on lottery tickets over a span of a couple days?
    That's almost like every person in the country buying one!

The 1.6 billion is estimated, but probably close. It may end up being higher before the drawing.

#76 8 months ago
    Quoted from Erik:

who else read this topic title in the BSD narrator voice?

I read it in Dr. Evil's voice.

#77 8 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I do remember a couple of years ago,a bunch of people want in on a group buy,and one employee didn't.They won,and I'm sure he was a little disappointed.

I remember when he was interviewed. He said he was sure they'd take care of him.

Sure, just like he'd take care of all of them if he won.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : It would be cool if a Pinsider won it.

#78 8 months ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Ill buy everyone in this thread the machine of their choice. And I will be live streaming on my boss’ desk if you know what I’m saying.

Thanks! I’ll take a King Kong please.

#79 8 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Thanks! I’ll take a King Kong please.

Supreme for me please

#80 8 months ago

When is the draw?

#81 8 months ago

Picked up the winning lottery ticket last night, now I just have to wait for them to draw tonight.....

#82 8 months ago

You never know. Statistically, any one of us with a valid ticket has a chance at winning....

#83 8 months ago

The news keeps showing people waiting in lines that stretch around the block for tickets. Where is this?? I have never seen more than three people in line to buy a mega jackpot ticket. There are nearly unlimited places to purchase these tickets.?

#84 8 months ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

The news keeps showing people waiting in lines that stretch around the block for tickets. Where is this?? I have never seen more than three people in line to buy a mega jackpot ticket. There are nearly unlimited places to purchase these tickets.?

I would imagine these are border towns. Many in CA drive to NV or AZ border towns to buy their tickets since CA doesn't participate. A former CA resident and coworker was telling me about it yesterday.

#85 8 months ago

so the estimated is 1.6 b... then you'd want to take the cash option (why let a govt control the money for 30 years??? what if theres a bankruptcy?) the cash value is 1/2 = $800,000,000, then you have to pay state taxes which is usually 45-50% = $400,000,000

then you'd really want to invest it for future proofing... put it in AAA bonds in several institutes for a return of 1.5 mil a year for all of eternity <- this is what O'Leary says anyway

#86 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I would imagine these are border towns. Many in CA drive to NV or AZ border towns to buy their tickets since CA doesn't participate. A former CA resident and coworker was telling me about it yesterday.

Let me be the first to inform you and your coworker that California has carried both the Mega millions and Power Ball lotteries for many years.

The typical long lines are found in inter-City locations.

Years ago, when Michigan only offered "The Big Game" which is now called Mega Millions, I would drive to Angola, Indiana for Powerball tickets when the jackpots were higher than the odds of winning. Usually I'd play $10 or $20 worth. Only a few players ahead of me at the Liquor store closest to the Indiana Toll Road closest to the East Gate.

#87 8 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

so the estimated is 1.6 b... then you'd want to take the cash option (why let a govt control the money for 30 years??? what if theres a bankruptcy?) the cash value is 1/2 = $800,000,000, then you have to pay state taxes which is usually 45-50% = $400,000,000
    then you'd really want to invest it for future proofing... put it in AAA bonds in several institutes for a return of 1.5 mil a year for all of eternity &lt;- this is what O'Leary says anyway

I think you have misplaced a decimal on your $1.5M number. also... who's going bankrupt in the annuity scenario, the US?

I can't say for certain how the annuity is managed or guaranteed (likely US Treasury and Gov't Agency bonds?), but I am certain that in the history of the lottery, there have been more winners who have gone bankrupt after receiving lump sums than there have been winners who were not paid out when they chose annuity.

I did see one story of Illinois delaying payments to some winners when they didn't have a budget passed, but powerball and megamillions are multi-state.

#88 8 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

then you'd really want to invest it for future proofing... put it in AAA bonds in several institutes for a return of 1.5 mil a year for all of eternity &lt;- this is what O'Leary says anyway

That's silly. Why would I want to live on $1.5M when I have 1/2 a billion in the bank? You aren't going to live into eternity, so spend some of the money now.

For every dollar you have left when you die, the government will take half of it. So enjoy it instead.

#89 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

You can't go 2 blocks around here without seeing a place where you can walk in any buy all the Mega Millions, Powerball, and SuperLotto tickets you want. Every 7-11, every liquor store, every grocery store, and who knows where else.

#90 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Let me be the first to inform you and your coworker that California has carried both the Mega millions and Power Ball lotteries for many years.
    The typical long lines are found in inter-City locations.
    Years ago, when Michigan only offered "The Big Game" which is now called Mega Millions, I would drive to Angola, Indiana for Powerball tickets when the jackpots were higher than the odds of winning. Usually I'd play $10 or $20 worth.

That is an astounding revelation, thank you for that clarification. Clearly I was..... oh wait who gives a shit.....

#91 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

That is an astounding revelation, thank you for that clarification. Clearly I was..... oh wait who gives a shit.....

And for more trivia, Nevada & Utah do not offer these games.

#92 8 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

For every dollar you have left when you die, the government will take half of it. So enjoy it instead.

Indeed. If I were to win, my plan would be to die penniless. The trick is perfecting the timing.

#93 8 months ago

Gotta Dream Right???

Let's assume after taxes, Lump sum, I end up with $500M.

$10M gets spent within the first 6 months
    - New Houses
    - New Cars
    - Gifts to relatives and close family friends.
    - Travel

$50M then gets put into personal investments that can hopefully net me 10% or ($5M/year), which is more than enough to live comfortably.

The remaining $440M is my legacy. I would build a foundation that invests that money. 50% of the proceeds from the investment goes back in the foundation so it will always grow, and the other 50% goes towards philanthropic endeavors. I would sit at the head of the board with the option to take a salary (just in case the $50M i put aside is not enough), and live out the rest of my life knowing that I contributed to society, and will continue to do so long after I'm gone.

#94 8 months ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Gotta Dream Right???
    $10M gets spent within the first 6 months
    - New Houses
    - New Cars
    - Gifts to relatives and close family friends.
    - Travel
    $50M then gets put into personal investments that can hopefully net me 10% or ($5M/year), which is more than enough to live comfortably.
    The remaining $440M is my legacy. I would build a foundation that invests that money. 50% of the proceeds from the investment goes back in the foundation so it will always grow, and the other 50% goes towards philanthropic endeavors. I would sit at the head of the board with the option to take a salary (just in case the $50M i put aside is not enough), and live out the rest of my life knowing that I contributed to society, and will continue to do so long after I'm gone.

^^^^Nailed it !!

#95 8 months ago

How can I possibly be the first to say it?

"I'd buy a Beatles pin."

#96 8 months ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

I like this plan, thought out and not hard to actually make happen. The winning numbers tho just need the right combo of numbers!
    -Mike

#97 8 months ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I like this plan, thought out and not hard to actually make happen. The winning numbers tho just need the right combo of numbers!
    -Mike

I'm going for 1,2,3,4,5,67

#98 7 months ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Ill buy everyone in this thread the machine of their choice

participating

Fun (or discouraging) facts:

• There are over 302 million possible combinations of numbers
    • Something like 280 million tickets were sold for last Friday's drawing. Assuming everyone that played bought 20 tickets each, thats 14 million people who thought they were going to win.
    • There have been 24 or 25 Mega millions drawings since the last time someone won it all

Some of the anonymous trust names of previous winners are pretty funny:

• $142 million won by the ABC XYZ Trust with a ticket purchased in Moraine, Ohio
    • $451 million won by Secret 007, LLC, of Port Richey, Fla.
    • $49 million won by the It Will Buy Me a Boat Revocable Trust of Rockwall, Texas
    • June 27, 2014 - $33 million won by the 6-27-14 Revocable Trust of Houston, Texas
    #99 7 months ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

participating

There are over 302 million possible combinations of numbers
    Something like 280 million tickets were sold for last Friday's drawing. Assuming everyone that played bought 20 tickets each, thats 14 million people who thought they were going to win.
    There have been 24 or 25 Mega millions drawings since the last time someone won it all

$142 million won by the ABC XYZ Trust with a ticket purchased in Moraine, Ohio
    $451 million won by Secret 007, LLC, of Port Richey, Fla.
    $49 million won by the It Will Buy Me a Boat Revocable Trust of Rockwall, Texas
    June 27, 2014 - $33 million won by the 6-27-14 Revocable Trust of Houston, Texas

I bought three tickets for six bucks.

#100 7 months ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

participating

There are over 302 million possible combinations of numbers
    Something like 280 million tickets were sold for last Friday's drawing. Assuming everyone that played bought 20 tickets each, thats 14 million people who thought they were going to win.
    There have been 24 or 25 Mega millions drawings since the last time someone won it all

$142 million won by the ABC XYZ Trust with a ticket purchased in Moraine, Ohio
    $451 million won by Secret 007, LLC, of Port Richey, Fla.
    $49 million won by the It Will Buy Me a Boat Revocable Trust of Rockwall, Texas
    June 27, 2014 - $33 million won by the 6-27-14 Revocable Trust of Houston, Texas

More fun facts:

A recent survey sponsored by the Consumer Federation of America and the Financial Planning Association indicated that 20 percent of the 1,000 Americans polled were counting on winning the lottery for their retirement

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.99
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside