(Topic ID: 313701)

.156 20 pin IDC connectors needed - Anyone have 2 or where to buy?

By barakawins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Looking for a .156 20 pin IDC connector. Anyone have this in stock or at least 2 I can purchase? Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Great Plains electronics might have this in a crimp style.

#3 2 years ago

big daddy enterprises just got 5 sets delivered yesterday

#4 2 years ago

Joe, were they the 20 pin IDC pin molex connectors? The ones where you have punch the wire into? can't find them on there.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

Looking for a .156 20 pin IDC connector. Anyone have this in stock or at least 2 I can purchase? Thanks.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=81

#6 2 years ago

He wants the one with the IDC pins already installed that you punch the wires into, not the crimp style.
    like this, in 12 pin:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-10847-12

#7 2 years ago

Hi Slochar, I'm looking for the 20 pin IDC molex connectors where the wires splice into the connector. Not sure where to find that one.

#8 2 years ago
    #10 2 years ago

Pinball Life?

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=idc

Where is even a 20 pin used?

#11 2 years ago

Thanks for that information.

PinballManiac40 I'm working on a special project requiring splitting a 20 position molex signal amongst two of such connections.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Where is even a 20 pin used?

18 pin connectors are used on Williams system 11 inner connect boards.

#13 2 years ago

Bally rectifier boards used 20 pin 3.96mm connectors.

For IDC - you need more than pin count and pin spacing. You also need to know the wire size.

Any reason specifically for Molex brand connectors?
    Molex made the following 3.96mm IDC plugs:
    7674 series -- now obsolete
    7675 series -- also obsolete
    I have not been able to find a replacement at Molex so it makes me wonder why they bother selling 3.96mm insertion tools.

Your best bet would be AMP (TE) MTA-156 series.
    For 18AWG wire: 5-643817-0 (Orange)
    For 20AWG wire: 5-643818-0 (Yellow)
    For 22AWG wire: 5-643819-0 (Red)
    For 24AWG wire: 5-643821-0 (White)
    Note that these are for closed end connectors.

If you use various sizes within the connector then you can't use IDC reliably and should use a discrete crimp type connector.
    Remember that IDC plugs were used to save money during original builds and are not as reliable as a properly crimped discrete type connector.
    BUT - the downside with discrete type plugs is you cannot (per crimping standards) make an inline connection like you can with IDC - which is what it sounds like you are doing. You can always either "T" the wire or crimp two wires into one contact but these are not exactly the best methods of splitting a connection.

Edit --
    Found that my AMP Bible is a bit too old and does not show the larger IDC plugs:

AMP does make these for 20 pin plugs as a feed thru connection...
    For 18AWG wire: 5-640599-0 (Orange)
    For 20AWG wire: 5-640600-0 (Yellow)
    For 22AWG wire: 5-640601-0 (Red)
    For 24AWG wire: 5-640602-0 (White)

#14 2 years ago

Thanks Ed. I’m working on a bally kiss. There is a 20 position molex on the aux lamp driver board that drives the kiss lamps on the backglass. I need to use the 20pin idc’s to make a splitter harness for J2 so I can power some leds in a separate kiss topper I had made. Hopefully this will work well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/156-20-pin-idc-connectors-needed-anyone-have-2-or-where-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.